Office XP 2002 Validated on both my desktop and notebook. RRS feed

• Question

• I have one CD set for Office XP Professional w/Publisher (2002), and installed it on my desktop about 4 years ago, and then on my notebook, when I purchased that, about 3 years ago.  I activated Office on both computers upon installation.

I  just had a serious failure on my notebook and just finished formatting, reinstalling Windows, IE7, and Office from my original disk.  No problems.  I then upgraded Office today, through all three Service Packs.  No problem.  I then tried to run Office update on my desktop.

Having just fully updated Office XP on my notebook to SP3, I went to do the same thing on my desktop, but failed due to using "Unactivated Software".  I had previously activated the same Office CD on both computers.  On my desktop, opening Word, Help, and Activate Product, the message returned is "This product has already been activated."

Clearly, I have a genuine version of Office, and MS found my installation on two computers acceptable in the past.  Why is it balking now?  Has it counted three installations because of my reinstallation of Office on my notebook?

My use of Office on the two computers is as follows:  All data files are stored on my desktop.  I synchronize selected data files with my notebook.  The installation of Office on my notebook serves  to have my existing documents available when I am away, and to be able to create new documents to upload (synchronize) to my desktop when I return.  I believe this has always been a legitimate use of a single office license.

Please help with this problem.

Thanks

Eric

Thursday, March 15, 2007 9:07 PM

Answers

• Eric,

Curious are you using the same software and installing it on both of your systems? If so please read the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA).  Unless you have purchased more than one license you can only install Office XP on one computer.

First, I want you to run a diagnostic test in order for us to analyze the results. I understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing and would like to provide you with some self-help options we have made available for our customers to address the issue you are currently experiencing. Please follow the steps outlined below as it could either resolve your issue or, if need be, provide us with additional information to determine the cause of this issue.

1. Ensure you log onto the computer experiencing the issue with “Administrator” rights.
    2. Next we would like to confirm that you are running the most current version of the Genuine Advantage control on your computer. In order to do this please follow the below link and choose the “Validate Office” option.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

If the above steps did not resolve your issue lets continue with the steps below.

I would like to provide some of the self-help options we have made available for our customers to address these issues. If you could please follow the steps outlined below the diagnostics Web Site will attempt to resolve the validation errors you are experiencing with Office.
    http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/diag/RunDiags.aspx?displayLang=en

Next follow the on-screen prompts to resolve the issue if any of the checks at the above site fail. You can do this by choosing the “Resolve Now” button if it appears. If, after attempting to resolve the issue as per the instructions on the above site fails, please refer to the link below and run the MGA Diagnostics tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012    

You will be prompted to either “Run” or “Save” the tool. Choose to “Run” the tool and follow the on-screen prompts. You will receive an “Internet Explorer-Security Warning” dialog box for the “Windows Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool”, you must choose to “Run” this tool when prompted.

Once you are presented with the Diagnostics tool choose “Continue” to run the diagnostic report. If the “RESOLVE” button is available after running the diagnostics, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool to attempt a repair.

If the issue still has not been resolved could you please provide us with the following information?

1. After running the MGA Diagnostic tool, click on the “Windows” tab and then click on “Copy”.
    2. Please return to this post and “Paste” the results here for additional review.

Thank you,
    Stephen Holm
    OGA Forum Program Manager

Thursday, March 15, 2007 11:59 PM
  • Thanks Stephen, for your help and suggestions.  I have followed the steps you recommended and the results are below.  There is no resolution however, because, as I stated in my letter, I believe the problem is caused by the fact that I just performed a major recovery (formatting of the HD and reinstallation of Windows XP) on my notebook, and reinstalled, reactivated, and updated Office XP on that computer, and then attempted to perform similar Service Pack updates to the also valid and previously activated Office on my desktop.

In response to your first question, at the beginning of your letter: "are you using the same software and installing it on both of your systems?"

YES.  I installed Office XP Pro 2002 with Publisher from a single set of CDs (single license) about 4 years ago on my desktop,  and about a year later,  I used the same disks to perform the same installation on my new notebook.  Upon installation, in each case, I activated Office on both computers. The diagnostic test you had me run confirm that my version of Office is genuine.

It is clear that, at least through the time of both installations, MS allowed for installations such as my own, where the same person is running Office on two computers for the same purpose.  As I explained, in my case I maintain one folder on my desktop (My Documents), where all my Office documents are stored.  When I am away, I retain access to some of those documents from my notebook through synchronization.  When I return, synchronization uploads any changes or new documents to the My Documents folder on my desktop. Despite an unrecoverable blue screen crisis on my notebook, and the unplanned formatting of my disk drive, I lost no important data, because all my documents are stored on my desktop.  The contents of the MY Documents folder on my notebook were trivial.  At the same time, the synchronized files on my notebook, serve as a continual back-up of my desktop files.

Again, I think the problem occurred when I reinstalled, reactivated, and thoroughly updated Office on my notebook yesterday, and then attempted to run similar Service Pack updates on my desktop, that I encountered the message produced by the http://www.microsoft.com/genuine diagnostic, which declared my desktop installation of Office to be invalid and not activated even though it was.  If MS retains a record of machine identification corresponding to software activation, then those records would show these are the same two computers whose installations were previously declared valid, and activated.

Results below:

Thanks,

Eric Lazarus

This computer has failed validation. Expand for details.

Microsoft Office XP Professional:
    Validation Incomplete: Office Must Be Activated

The validation process could not be completed because your copy of Microsoft Office has not been activated.

Activate Office now

Start any Office application. The activation wizard will walk you through the steps required to activate Office.

For additional instructions, or if you have problems activating Office and Office applications, visit knowledge base article # 828958. To learn more about benefits of product activation, visit the How to Tell site.

I was unable to activate Office

If you are unable to activate Office by following the steps above or using the methods in the knowledge base article, the copy of Office on your computer may be counterfeit or may have been installed incorrectly.

What could prevent activation?

If your computer is new, the copy of Office installed on your computer may be counterfeit or may have been incorrectly installed.

If Office was installed or upgraded on an existing computer:

The copy of Office you installed on your computer may be counterfeit.

A third party, such as a repair shop, may have installed Office incorrectly or used a counterfeit copy.

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):

-----------------------------------------

WGA Data-->

Validation Status: Genuine

Detailed Status: N/A

Windows Product Key: *****-*****-T6DFB-Y934T-YD4YT

Windows Product Key Hash: 3g4CZGFEDgbKmn/oB4pa2FZsssU=

Windows Product ID: 55274-OEM-2211906-00102

Windows Product ID Type: 2

Windows License Type: OEM SLP

Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro

ID: f2d91ba3-b5e7-4194-a9e0-94e81cbcc2bf

Is Admin: Yes

AutoDial: No

Registry: 0x0

WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.723.1

Signed By: Microsoft

Product Name: N/A

Architecture: N/A

Build lab: N/A

TTS Error: N/A

Validation Diagnostic:

Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: 0

File Exists: Yes

Version: 1.5.532.0

WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft

WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->

Office Status: 101 Not Activated

OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0

Office Diagnostics: 3E121E02-385-80004005_3E121E02-452-80004005_3E121E02-312-80004005_3E121E02-372-80004005_3E121E02-452-80004005_3E121E02-312-80004005

Browser Data-->

Proxy settings: N/A

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)

Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe

Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt

Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled

Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled

Active scripting: Allowed

Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\oembios.bin

File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\oembios.dat

File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\oembios.sig

Other data-->

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>f2d91ba3-b5e7-4194-a9e0-94e81cbcc2bf</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-YD4YT</PKey><PID>55274-OEM-2211906-00102</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-830632638-718857599-3100556594</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>Dimension 8300               </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Version>A01</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20030428000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>80EC3CE701848063</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>Dell Computer Corporation</name><model>Dell DIMENSION 8300</model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>              <Software><Office><Result>101</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>101</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>99E8BEEE9B8782</Val><Hash>0CTSwioD9TMWqhvQpZV22TckNVE=</Hash><Pid>54186-OEM-1792781-43265</Pid><PidType>4</PidType></Product><Product GUID="{91190409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>101</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Publisher 2002</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>9C863F36D99A7E2</Val><Hash>+AGZZ/HdLzGbRu5i6K3fYpACrgc=</Hash><Pid>54197-OEM-1691936-93265</Pid><PidType>4</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults>

Friday, March 16, 2007 3:05 PM
  • Eric,

Good morning. First I would like to remind you to please read your EULA. You are only allowed to install the software on one computer and not multiple systems unless you purchased more than one licensing agreement. Again I understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing surrounding Office activation. In turn I would like to provide the following steps to try and resolve the issue. Please follow the steps to attempt resolving this issue.  
    1) Open My Computer located on your desktop

2) Go to: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data\

NOTE:  The application data file may be hidden. Use the Tools drop down menu and follow:>Folder Options->View->Hidden Files and Folders->Show Hidden Files and Folders to show the folder. Please re-hide the files once you have completed all the steps.

3) Right click the data.dat file, then click “Delete.
    4) This data.dat file is for Office (not OGA)
    5) Once the file has been deleted, open an Office application such as MS Word and “ACTIVATE” it.
    6)  If product activation was successful try the Office Genuine Advantage (OGA). Please launch the following link and begin the OGA process again: (this is the OGA part; Office Genuine Advantage):  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/office/Validate.aspx?displaylang=eng

The following Knowledge Base Articles can provide more information for Office Activation issues:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903275/en-us

How to troubleshoot problems that you may experience when you try to activate a 2007 Office product
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919895

Did this work?  I look forward to the outcome at your earliest opportunity.

Thank you,
    Stephen Holm

Friday, March 16, 2007 5:51 PM
  • Stephen,

Thanks again for your help.  I followed your instructions and deleted the data.dat file from C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data.

When I opened MS Word, opened Help, and clicked on Activate Product, I got the same message as yesterday: "This product has already been activated."

I checked out the two Knowledge base articles you recommended, but neither addresses this problem, i.e., I can't activate Office, because my installation of Office knows it has already been activated.  It is only subsequent to activation that MS has apparently changed its policy, if not its rules, and has disqualified my installation.  Again, I am wondering if the Genuine Advantage process considers the reinstallation of Office on my notebook yesterday, a new and therefore a third installationfrom the same CD.  Of course even if that were the case, it still allowed it, and activated Office again on my notebook.  It is now preventing me from simply updating the existing installation of Office on my desktop.

Is there a solution to this problem?

Again, I am a single user, with a single and genuine version of Office, and only one set of Office data files.

Thanks,

Eric

Friday, March 16, 2007 6:42 PM
  • Eric,

Some activation problems indicate your license file is corrupted for Microsoft Office 2003 or for Microsoft Office XP. If the license file is corrupted, you cannot resolve the problem by removing and then reinstalling the Office product. The license file is not removed when you remove the Office product. Additionally, the file is not overwritten when you reinstall the Office product. Another symptom of a corrupted license file is a failure to successfully pass Office Genuine Advantage validation. If the license file is corrupted, use the following methods to delete the license file for Office 2003.

1. Click Start, click Run, type C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data, and then click OK.

NOTE:  The application data file may be hidden. Use the Tools drop down menu and follow:>Folder Options->View->Hidden Files and Folders->Show Hidden Files and Folders to show the folder. Please re-hide the files once you have completed all the steps.

2. Right-click the Opa11.dat file, and then click Delete.

IMPORTANT:  DO NOT DELETE THE OPA11.bak FILE.

3. Close the folder.

4. Start an Office 2003 program to start the Office 2003 Activation Wizard.

Friday, March 16, 2007 7:59 PM
  • Eric,

First try to my last post and delete the opa11 file. Reboot the computer and attempt activation again.  Should this not work please activate Office by using by “Activate by using the telephone” option. To activate the product this way, follow these steps:

1) Start any Office program.
    2) In the “Office Activation Wizard”, click the “Activate by using the telephone” option, and then click Next
    3) Read the “Microsoft Office Privacy Policy” page, and then click “Next”.
    Note You are not required to read the Microsoft Office Privacy Policy to continue these steps in Microsoft Office 2007. A link to the Microsoft Office Privacy Policy is provided so that you can read it at any time.
    4) In the “Select your location” list, select a country or region. Call the telephone number that is listed on line 2. The customer service agent will ask you for the installation ID and will give you a confirmation ID in return. Type the confirmation ID in the boxes provided.
    5) Click “Next”.
    6) On the “Activation Complete” page, click “Finish”.

Please let me know at your earliest convience if either of my last two posts work. Thank you Eric and have a great weekend!

Thank you,
    Stephen Holm

Friday, March 16, 2007 8:03 PM
  • Thanks Stephen.  My version of Office is XP Pro 2002.  I followed your instructions and opened C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data.  However the only file in that folder, since I deleted data.dat, is now DATA.BAK.  Also, Data is the only folder within the All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office folder, so I had nowhere else to look for the Opa11.dat file. I ran a search on the entire Documents and Settings folder for a file named opa11 with no success.

Eric

Friday, March 16, 2007 8:16 PM
  • Stephen,

I cannot run the Office Activation wizard because when I open Word, select Help, and click on "Activate Product", I just get a message saying "The product has already been activated."  There is nothing further I can see to do to launch the Activation process.

Eric

Friday, March 16, 2007 8:24 PM
  • Eric,

Please reference the following KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851/.  You will find the phone number. There are several phone numbers for activating Office based on the geographical location you reside. I am sorry you can't follow the guidance previously posted.  This would have given you the number for your area to call.  The KB Article should get you where you need in order to activate by phone.  Please re-post if you need further assistance.

Thank you,
    Stephen Holm

Friday, March 16, 2007 8:57 PM
  • Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid Product Key
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-9DPFD-M2PY3-R3F83
    Windows Product Key Hash: f55QYGyUpQ6nT1lTgFHgRDGtysg=
    Windows Product ID: 55679-640-8935532-23440
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    ID: bd1bb220-fa86-4f97-9ab7-c000f6492cfc
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.18.0
    Validation Diagnostic:

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 8
    Version: 1.7.18.0

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3178-80070002

Browser Data-->
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>bd1bb220-fa86-4f97-9ab7-c000f6492cfc</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-R3F83</PKey><PID>55679-640-8935532-23440</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2000478354-1409082233-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>System Product Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>0301   </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20060731000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>D9C1390F01842067</HWID><UserLCID>0413</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0413</SystemLCID><TimeZone>West-Europa (standaardtijd)(GMT+01:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110413-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Editie 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73967-640-0000106-57010</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Sunday, March 18, 2007 6:39 AM
  • H.C.A.,

Thank you for posting your diagnostic information and posting on the thread. Diagnostic results help our team find resolutions. There are two situations occuring surrounding both your Operating System and Office.  I have extracted a portion of your diagnostic results to review with you.

WGA Data-->

OGA Data-->
    OGA Version: Registered, 

I am sorry to hear about the problem your currently experiencing. Unfortunately, the product key used to install Office Professional Edition 2003 is a Volume License Key (VLK) that has been blocked per the request of the legal VLK holder.  As a rule, VL editions of either an Operating System and/or Office should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP and version of MS Office are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

As a customer there are options available to you for a resolution.  First, if this comes as a total surprise to you, please go back to where you purchased Office and let them know it is a counterfeit copy and demand they immediately reimburse you and/or provide a Genuine Copy which was originally paid for. Print a copy of the diagnostic report so you may show them proof for the 114 Blocked VLK statuses.  In any case, please uninstall the non-genuine installation of Office to alleviate any complications which may arise from the non-genuine status of your Office.  Second, if you purchased this copy of Office from a reseller or retailer, you are a victim and should report this piracy to Microsoft. Microsoft legal will follow up on all leads provided. Reporting piracy to Microsoft will help alleviate others in becoming victims such as yourself. You may be eligible for a complimentary replacement copy if you were sold a high quality counterfeit copy of Office.  For details on the ways to “Get Genuine”, see the web page that outlined your validation failure details or http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/. It will provide all of the possible steps which you can take.

The Windows product key installed on this computer is not genuine. The product key came from a Key Code Generator. You may be a victim of software counterfeiting.  The product key is a unique identifier assigned by Microsoft only to genuine Windows software. If this key is missing or incorrect, it may indicate the presence of counterfeit software and your system may be at risk.

There are several reasons why a product key may not be considered genuine. The Windows product key installed on this computer was not assigned by Microsoft. The key is counterfeit and was most likely generated by a non-sanctioned key generator. The product key found on your computer has been detected on multiple computers. Product keys are only allowed to be used on one computer unless otherwise specified in the end user licensing agreement.

Counterfeiters have been known to sell computers with Windows installed, all using the same product key, to unsuspecting consumers. If you suspect this happened to you, learn how to get genuine @ http://www.microsoft.com/genuine.  

If you have used this product key on more than one computer, you will need to purchase a new product key. Each computer must have its own unique product key.
    Again I am sorry to hear about your situation. In turn I hope the information will help you with getting a resolution. Please don't hesitate re-posting if you need further assistance.

Thank you,
    Stephen Holm
    OGA Forum Program Manager,
    Stephen MS

Monday, March 19, 2007 6:32 PM
  • Did you try the telephone activation process? I provided the KB article for your review and a phone number. 

Thank you,
    Stephen Holm
    Stephen MS

Monday, March 19, 2007 6:39 PM

All replies

• Eric,

Curious are you using the same software and installing it on both of your systems? If so please read the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA).  Unless you have purchased more than one license you can only install Office XP on one computer.

First, I want you to run a diagnostic test in order for us to analyze the results. I understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing and would like to provide you with some self-help options we have made available for our customers to address the issue you are currently experiencing. Please follow the steps outlined below as it could either resolve your issue or, if need be, provide us with additional information to determine the cause of this issue.

1. Ensure you log onto the computer experiencing the issue with “Administrator” rights.
    2. Next we would like to confirm that you are running the most current version of the Genuine Advantage control on your computer. In order to do this please follow the below link and choose the “Validate Office” option.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

If the above steps did not resolve your issue lets continue with the steps below.

I would like to provide some of the self-help options we have made available for our customers to address these issues. If you could please follow the steps outlined below the diagnostics Web Site will attempt to resolve the validation errors you are experiencing with Office.
    http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/diag/RunDiags.aspx?displayLang=en

Next follow the on-screen prompts to resolve the issue if any of the checks at the above site fail. You can do this by choosing the “Resolve Now” button if it appears. If, after attempting to resolve the issue as per the instructions on the above site fails, please refer to the link below and run the MGA Diagnostics tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012    

You will be prompted to either “Run” or “Save” the tool. Choose to “Run” the tool and follow the on-screen prompts. You will receive an “Internet Explorer-Security Warning” dialog box for the “Windows Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool”, you must choose to “Run” this tool when prompted.

Once you are presented with the Diagnostics tool choose “Continue” to run the diagnostic report. If the “RESOLVE” button is available after running the diagnostics, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool to attempt a repair.

If the issue still has not been resolved could you please provide us with the following information?

1. After running the MGA Diagnostic tool, click on the “Windows” tab and then click on “Copy”.
    2. Please return to this post and “Paste” the results here for additional review.

Thank you,
    Stephen Holm

Thursday, March 15, 2007 11:59 PM
  • Thanks Stephen, for your help and suggestions.  I have followed the steps you recommended and the results are below.  There is no resolution however, because, as I stated in my letter, I believe the problem is caused by the fact that I just performed a major recovery (formatting of the HD and reinstallation of Windows XP) on my notebook, and reinstalled, reactivated, and updated Office XP on that computer, and then attempted to perform similar Service Pack updates to the also valid and previously activated Office on my desktop.

In response to your first question, at the beginning of your letter: "are you using the same software and installing it on both of your systems?"

YES.  I installed Office XP Pro 2002 with Publisher from a single set of CDs (single license) about 4 years ago on my desktop,  and about a year later,  I used the same disks to perform the same installation on my new notebook.  Upon installation, in each case, I activated Office on both computers. The diagnostic test you had me run confirm that my version of Office is genuine.

It is clear that, at least through the time of both installations, MS allowed for installations such as my own, where the same person is running Office on two computers for the same purpose.  As I explained, in my case I maintain one folder on my desktop (My Documents), where all my Office documents are stored.  When I am away, I retain access to some of those documents from my notebook through synchronization.  When I return, synchronization uploads any changes or new documents to the My Documents folder on my desktop. Despite an unrecoverable blue screen crisis on my notebook, and the unplanned formatting of my disk drive, I lost no important data, because all my documents are stored on my desktop.  The contents of the MY Documents folder on my notebook were trivial.  At the same time, the synchronized files on my notebook, serve as a continual back-up of my desktop files.

Again, I think the problem occurred when I reinstalled, reactivated, and thoroughly updated Office on my notebook yesterday, and then attempted to run similar Service Pack updates on my desktop, that I encountered the message produced by the http://www.microsoft.com/genuine diagnostic, which declared my desktop installation of Office to be invalid and not activated even though it was.  If MS retains a record of machine identification corresponding to software activation, then those records would show these are the same two computers whose installations were previously declared valid, and activated.

Results below:

Thanks,

Eric Lazarus

This computer has failed validation. Expand for details.

Microsoft Office XP Professional:
    Validation Incomplete: Office Must Be Activated

The validation process could not be completed because your copy of Microsoft Office has not been activated.

Activate Office now

Start any Office application. The activation wizard will walk you through the steps required to activate Office.

For additional instructions, or if you have problems activating Office and Office applications, visit knowledge base article # 828958. To learn more about benefits of product activation, visit the How to Tell site.

I was unable to activate Office

If you are unable to activate Office by following the steps above or using the methods in the knowledge base article, the copy of Office on your computer may be counterfeit or may have been installed incorrectly.

What could prevent activation?

If your computer is new, the copy of Office installed on your computer may be counterfeit or may have been incorrectly installed.

If Office was installed or upgraded on an existing computer:

The copy of Office you installed on your computer may be counterfeit.

A third party, such as a repair shop, may have installed Office incorrectly or used a counterfeit copy.

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):

WGA Data-->

Validation Status: Genuine

Windows Product Key: *****-*****-T6DFB-Y934T-YD4YT

Windows Product Key Hash: 3g4CZGFEDgbKmn/oB4pa2FZsssU=

Windows Product ID: 55274-OEM-2211906-00102

Windows Product ID Type: 2

Windows License Type: OEM SLP

ID: f2d91ba3-b5e7-4194-a9e0-94e81cbcc2bf

WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.723.1

Validation Diagnostic:

Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: 0

Version: 1.5.532.0

OGA Data-->

Office Status: 101 Not Activated

OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0

Office Diagnostics: 3E121E02-385-80004005_3E121E02-452-80004005_3E121E02-312-80004005_3E121E02-372-80004005_3E121E02-452-80004005_3E121E02-312-80004005

Browser Data-->

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)

Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe

File Scan Data-->

File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\oembios.bin

File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\oembios.dat

File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\oembios.sig

Other data-->

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>f2d91ba3-b5e7-4194-a9e0-94e81cbcc2bf</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-YD4YT</PKey><PID>55274-OEM-2211906-00102</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-830632638-718857599-3100556594</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>Dimension 8300               </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Version>A01</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20030428000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>80EC3CE701848063</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>Dell Computer Corporation</name><model>Dell DIMENSION 8300</model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>              <Software><Office><Result>101</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>101</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>99E8BEEE9B8782</Val><Hash>0CTSwioD9TMWqhvQpZV22TckNVE=</Hash><Pid>54186-OEM-1792781-43265</Pid><PidType>4</PidType></Product><Product GUID="{91190409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>101</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Publisher 2002</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>9C863F36D99A7E2</Val><Hash>+AGZZ/HdLzGbRu5i6K3fYpACrgc=</Hash><Pid>54197-OEM-1691936-93265</Pid><PidType>4</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults>

Friday, March 16, 2007 3:05 PM
  • Eric,

Good morning. First I would like to remind you to please read your EULA. You are only allowed to install the software on one computer and not multiple systems unless you purchased more than one licensing agreement. Again I understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing surrounding Office activation. In turn I would like to provide the following steps to try and resolve the issue. Please follow the steps to attempt resolving this issue.  
    1) Open My Computer located on your desktop

2) Go to: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data\

3) Right click the data.dat file, then click “Delete.
    4) This data.dat file is for Office (not OGA)
    5) Once the file has been deleted, open an Office application such as MS Word and “ACTIVATE” it.
    6)  If product activation was successful try the Office Genuine Advantage (OGA). Please launch the following link and begin the OGA process again: (this is the OGA part; Office Genuine Advantage):  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/office/Validate.aspx?displaylang=eng

The following Knowledge Base Articles can provide more information for Office Activation issues:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903275/en-us

How to troubleshoot problems that you may experience when you try to activate a 2007 Office product
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919895

Thank you,
    Stephen Holm

Friday, March 16, 2007 5:51 PM
  • Stephen,

Thanks again for your help.  I followed your instructions and deleted the data.dat file from C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data.

When I opened MS Word, opened Help, and clicked on Activate Product, I got the same message as yesterday: "This product has already been activated."

I checked out the two Knowledge base articles you recommended, but neither addresses this problem, i.e., I can't activate Office, because my installation of Office knows it has already been activated.  It is only subsequent to activation that MS has apparently changed its policy, if not its rules, and has disqualified my installation.  Again, I am wondering if the Genuine Advantage process considers the reinstallation of Office on my notebook yesterday, a new and therefore a third installationfrom the same CD.  Of course even if that were the case, it still allowed it, and activated Office again on my notebook.  It is now preventing me from simply updating the existing installation of Office on my desktop.

Is there a solution to this problem?

Again, I am a single user, with a single and genuine version of Office, and only one set of Office data files.

Thanks,

Eric

Friday, March 16, 2007 6:42 PM
  • Eric,

Some activation problems indicate your license file is corrupted for Microsoft Office 2003 or for Microsoft Office XP. If the license file is corrupted, you cannot resolve the problem by removing and then reinstalling the Office product. The license file is not removed when you remove the Office product. Additionally, the file is not overwritten when you reinstall the Office product. Another symptom of a corrupted license file is a failure to successfully pass Office Genuine Advantage validation. If the license file is corrupted, use the following methods to delete the license file for Office 2003.

1. Click Start, click Run, type C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data, and then click OK.

2. Right-click the Opa11.dat file, and then click Delete.

IMPORTANT:  DO NOT DELETE THE OPA11.bak FILE.

3. Close the folder.

4. Start an Office 2003 program to start the Office 2003 Activation Wizard.

Friday, March 16, 2007 7:59 PM
  • Eric,

First try to my last post and delete the opa11 file. Reboot the computer and attempt activation again.  Should this not work please activate Office by using by “Activate by using the telephone” option. To activate the product this way, follow these steps:

1) Start any Office program.
    2) In the “Office Activation Wizard”, click the “Activate by using the telephone” option, and then click Next
    3) Read the “Microsoft Office Privacy Policy” page, and then click “Next”.
    Note You are not required to read the Microsoft Office Privacy Policy to continue these steps in Microsoft Office 2007. A link to the Microsoft Office Privacy Policy is provided so that you can read it at any time.
    4) In the “Select your location” list, select a country or region. Call the telephone number that is listed on line 2. The customer service agent will ask you for the installation ID and will give you a confirmation ID in return. Type the confirmation ID in the boxes provided.
    5) Click “Next”.
    6) On the “Activation Complete” page, click “Finish”.

Please let me know at your earliest convience if either of my last two posts work. Thank you Eric and have a great weekend!

Thank you,
    Stephen Holm

Friday, March 16, 2007 8:03 PM
  • Thanks Stephen.  My version of Office is XP Pro 2002.  I followed your instructions and opened C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data.  However the only file in that folder, since I deleted data.dat, is now DATA.BAK.  Also, Data is the only folder within the All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office folder, so I had nowhere else to look for the Opa11.dat file. I ran a search on the entire Documents and Settings folder for a file named opa11 with no success.

Eric

Friday, March 16, 2007 8:16 PM
  • Stephen,

I cannot run the Office Activation wizard because when I open Word, select Help, and click on "Activate Product", I just get a message saying "The product has already been activated."  There is nothing further I can see to do to launch the Activation process.

Eric

Friday, March 16, 2007 8:24 PM
  • Eric,

Please reference the following KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851/.  You will find the phone number. There are several phone numbers for activating Office based on the geographical location you reside. I am sorry you can't follow the guidance previously posted.  This would have given you the number for your area to call.  The KB Article should get you where you need in order to activate by phone.  Please re-post if you need further assistance.

Thank you,
    Stephen Holm

Friday, March 16, 2007 8:57 PM
  • Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    WGA Data-->
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-9DPFD-M2PY3-R3F83
    Windows Product Key Hash: f55QYGyUpQ6nT1lTgFHgRDGtysg=
    Windows Product ID: 55679-640-8935532-23440
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    ID: bd1bb220-fa86-4f97-9ab7-c000f6492cfc
    Validation Diagnostic:

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 8
    Version: 1.7.18.0

OGA Data-->
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3178-80070002

Browser Data-->
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>bd1bb220-fa86-4f97-9ab7-c000f6492cfc</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-R3F83</PKey><PID>55679-640-8935532-23440</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2000478354-1409082233-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>System Product Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>0301   </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20060731000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>D9C1390F01842067</HWID><UserLCID>0413</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0413</SystemLCID><TimeZone>West-Europa (standaardtijd)(GMT+01:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110413-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Editie 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73967-640-0000106-57010</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Sunday, March 18, 2007 6:39 AM
  • H.C.A.,

Thank you for posting your diagnostic information and posting on the thread. Diagnostic results help our team find resolutions. There are two situations occuring surrounding both your Operating System and Office.  I have extracted a portion of your diagnostic results to review with you.

WGA Data-->

OGA Data-->
    OGA Version: Registered, 

I am sorry to hear about the problem your currently experiencing. Unfortunately, the product key used to install Office Professional Edition 2003 is a Volume License Key (VLK) that has been blocked per the request of the legal VLK holder.  As a rule, VL editions of either an Operating System and/or Office should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP and version of MS Office are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

As a customer there are options available to you for a resolution.  First, if this comes as a total surprise to you, please go back to where you purchased Office and let them know it is a counterfeit copy and demand they immediately reimburse you and/or provide a Genuine Copy which was originally paid for. Print a copy of the diagnostic report so you may show them proof for the 114 Blocked VLK statuses.  In any case, please uninstall the non-genuine installation of Office to alleviate any complications which may arise from the non-genuine status of your Office.  Second, if you purchased this copy of Office from a reseller or retailer, you are a victim and should report this piracy to Microsoft. Microsoft legal will follow up on all leads provided. Reporting piracy to Microsoft will help alleviate others in becoming victims such as yourself. You may be eligible for a complimentary replacement copy if you were sold a high quality counterfeit copy of Office.  For details on the ways to “Get Genuine”, see the web page that outlined your validation failure details or http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/. It will provide all of the possible steps which you can take.

The Windows product key installed on this computer is not genuine. The product key came from a Key Code Generator. You may be a victim of software counterfeiting.  The product key is a unique identifier assigned by Microsoft only to genuine Windows software. If this key is missing or incorrect, it may indicate the presence of counterfeit software and your system may be at risk.

There are several reasons why a product key may not be considered genuine. The Windows product key installed on this computer was not assigned by Microsoft. The key is counterfeit and was most likely generated by a non-sanctioned key generator. The product key found on your computer has been detected on multiple computers. Product keys are only allowed to be used on one computer unless otherwise specified in the end user licensing agreement.

Counterfeiters have been known to sell computers with Windows installed, all using the same product key, to unsuspecting consumers. If you suspect this happened to you, learn how to get genuine @ http://www.microsoft.com/genuine.  

If you have used this product key on more than one computer, you will need to purchase a new product key. Each computer must have its own unique product key.
    Again I am sorry to hear about your situation. In turn I hope the information will help you with getting a resolution. Please don't hesitate re-posting if you need further assistance.

Thank you,
    Stephen Holm
    Stephen MS

Monday, March 19, 2007 6:32 PM
  • Did you try the telephone activation process? I provided the KB article for your review and a phone number. 

Thank you,
    Stephen Holm
    Stephen MS

Monday, March 19, 2007 6:39 PM