none
MCITP - SA certifed, what about 2008 MCSA title? RRS feed

• Question

• If we already got the MCITP - SA Title by completeing the mandatory exams will we now by default get the new Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) title?
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• As long as you've completed 70-640, 70-642 and 70-646 you will be awarded MCSA: Windows Server 2008

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 11:42 PM
  • I have the same issue. I got my MCITP SA & EA on Windows Server 2008 last year.

I would like to get MCSE: Private Cloud this year, but I don't have MCSA: Windows Server 2008.

What I need to do to be awarded MCSA: Windows Server 2008?

Friday, April 13, 2012 10:35 AM
  • 70-640, 70-642 and 70-646 as stated above.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton

Friday, April 13, 2012 10:37 AM
  • I passed 70-640, 70-642 & 70-646 last year when I was getting MCITP certificates.
    So what should I do now to get MCSA: Windows Server 2008.
    Friday, April 13, 2012 10:48 AM
  • Nothing.  You will be awarded MCSA once the new certification program is fully implemented

Jeff Wharton

Friday, April 13, 2012 10:52 AM
  • Hi,

I got my MCITP EA, does that mean I still have to take 70-646 to get MCSA Windows Server 2008?

I thought MCITP EA should cover everything for MCITP SA

Friday, April 13, 2012 11:55 AM
  • Yes you still need to do 70-646 to get MCSA: Windows Server 2008.  MCSA: Windows Server 2008 has nothing to do with MCITP SA

Jeff Wharton

Friday, April 13, 2012 11:57 AM
  • MCSA: Windows Server 2008 has nothing to do with MCITP SA

Isn't it 70-640 + 70-042 + 70-646 = MCITP SA which is also = MCSA Windows Server 2008?
    Friday, April 13, 2012 1:07 PM
  • So, hang on a minute! - because I went down the MCITP EA path, I'm penalised because I didn't do 70-646...

... whilst someone who did MCITP SA automatically gets the MCSA?

That doesn't sound right.

Saturday, April 14, 2012 10:58 AM
  • As per this link http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-windowsserver.aspx, you need to complete exams 70-640, 70-642 & 70-646 to get MCSA: Windows Server 2008

Jeff Wharton

Saturday, April 14, 2012 11:10 AM
  • So, hang on a minute! - because I went down the MCITP EA path, I'm penalised because I didn't do 70-646...

... whilst someone who did MCITP SA automatically gets the MCSA?

That doesn't sound right.

That's what I thought as well

So what will happen to MCITP EA in the new MS certification scheme, while MCITP SA will become MCSA: Windows Server 2008?

Does MS has any intention to transform MCITP EA to the new MCSA or MCSE?

I always thought MCSE server 2003 is higher level than MCSA server 2003, as MCITP EA is higher level than MCITP SA

That doesn't sound right

Saturday, April 14, 2012 12:29 PM
  • All I've seen in the new certification program for Windows Server based certifications is the Private Cloud certification listed here http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-private-cloud.aspx?WT.mc_id=v3_MSL_social_MCSEprivcloud

The MCSA: Windows Server 2008 image takes you to http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-windows-server-mcsa.aspx

This is a new certification program (currently Private Cloud and SQL Server 2012 have been released) and Microsoft will be adding additional certifications in the future.

Jeff Wharton

Saturday, April 14, 2012 1:37 PM
  • I have the MCITP EA cert, and not the SA.

However, I looked on my profile earlier and I have been automatically awarded the MCSA on Server 2008, even though I haven't passed 70-646.

Chris McKeown MBCS CITP
    MCP | MCTS | MCDST | MCSA | MCSE | MCITP:EA

Thursday, April 19, 2012 12:15 PM
  • I spoke to a Microsoft Learning representative earlier via Live Chat.

He confirmed that both the MCITP SA and EA certifications qualify you for the MCSA on Windows Server 2008. Here's the chat log:

Jeffrey: Hello, I'm Jeffrey with the Microsoft Certification Guidance Team.
    Jeffrey: Hi Chris

Chris: Hi Jeffrey

Jeffrey: I can see here that you have received the MCSA in Windows Server 2008 certification
    Jeffrey: Is that correct?

Chris: That's right, although I haven't passed exam 646 since I didn't do the MCITP SA - I did the EA
    Chris: so I'm wondering why I qualify

Jeffrey: No need to worry. You can earn an MCSA for Windows Server 2008 by completing either the MCITP: Server Administrator or MCITP: Enterprise Administrator

Chris McKeown MBCS CITP

Thursday, April 19, 2012 7:53 PM
  • I have the MCITP EA cert, and not the SA.

However, I looked on my profile earlier and I have been automatically awarded the MCSA on Server 2008, even though I haven't passed 70-646.

confirmed, it happens to me as well

so good news and bad news:

GOOD news is the current MCITP EA are awarded to MCSA on server 2008 without the need to take and pass 70-646

BAD news is, by doing this, it means MS has no intention to include MCITP EA to the latest certification programs

Friday, April 20, 2012 4:20 AM
  • BAD news is, by doing this, it means MS has no intention to include MCITP EA to the latest certification programs

Where are you getting this information from?

Jeff Wharton

Friday, April 20, 2012 4:39 AM
  • BAD news is, by doing this, it means MS has no intention to include MCITP EA to the latest certification programs

Where are you getting this information from?

Jeff Wharton

this is the assumption I made base on the fact that MS automatically awarded MCITP EA to MCSA on server 2008

if there is an equivalent certification for MCITP EA, then why is MCITP EA awarded the MCSA on server 2008?

this is only my logic and is not offical. sorry didn't make it clear enough

Friday, April 20, 2012 5:19 AM
  • if there is an equivalent certification for MCITP EA, then why is MCITP EA awarded the MCSA on server 2008?

If you’d read into MCSA and MCSE, you'd have seen that no equivalent certification currently exists.  How can a certification be offered if it doesn't currently exist?

The logical (I say logical as I still haven't received an official response from Microsoft) thing for MS to do was to award MCITP: EA recipients with MCSA: Windows Server 2008 as EA is a higher certification than SA and only awarding it to SA recipients wouldn't be fair.

this is the assumption I made base on the fact that MS automatically awarded MCITP EA to MCSA on server 2008

Unfortunately a lot of the "miss-information" floating around at the moment has come about due to people “assuming” something and then spreading their assumption.  Then by the power of Chinese Whispers, these assumptions turn into facts and everyone gets upset :-)

Jeff Wharton

Friday, April 20, 2012 5:37 AM
  • it is still too early at this stage, and MS has not release enough information

hope things will be clear to everyone soon :)

Friday, April 20, 2012 5:57 AM
  • A simple read of the microsoft learning site for MCSA 2008 shows that if you have the MCITP SA ot MCITP EA then you automatically have the MCSA 2008.

Mark Railton, MCTS, MCP

Thursday, June 28, 2012 6:36 PM
  • A simple read of the microsoft learning site for MCSA 2008 shows that if you have the MCITP SA ot MCITP EA then you automatically have the MCSA 2008.

Mark Railton, MCTS, MCP

Yes, it does now. This thread was started in April and it certainly made no mention of it back then.

Chris McKeown MBCS CITP

Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:04 PM

Mark Railton, MCTS, MCP

Yes, it does now. This thread was started in April and it certainly made no mention of it back then.

Chris McKeown MBCS CITP

100% correct :-)

Jeff Wharton

Thursday, June 28, 2012 11:01 PM