ridiculous to be forced to activate from using msconfig RRS feed

• Question

• On a pc with problem, I want to diagnose with msconfig. the momemt I was done with msconfig and reboot, I was ask to activate immediately!

add insulat to injury, the Maps license and the corresponding key on longer allow me to activate bia intenet or auto phone answer due to too many  probem pc (9) being replaced or re-installed recently.
    Final insult: operatoer were not available since Sat.

I don't mind  WGA as long as it does not give false repsonse. When it interrupts production system, it's not only frustrating for me but may end up costing microsoft loyal customers

there should be a mechanism to retire a pc and free up the activation for new OS or some other means of allowing use of deployment single image up to specified number PC running
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 6:34 PM

Answers

• Hello fs - ab,

For Windows XP, Product Activation is not part of WGA.  WGA did not exist when XP was released and was added at a later date.  Product Activation has been a part of Windows since Win 95, I believe.

If you are experiencing Product Activation issue with Windows XP, please see the "Install, Upgrade and Activate" section of the Windows XP Answers Forum.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, November 25, 2009 8:17 PM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 8:15 PM

All replies

• Hello fs - ab,

For Windows XP, Product Activation is not part of WGA.  WGA did not exist when XP was released and was added at a later date.  Product Activation has been a part of Windows since Win 95, I believe.

If you are experiencing Product Activation issue with Windows XP, please see the "Install, Upgrade and Activate" section of the Windows XP Answers Forum.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, November 25, 2009 8:17 PM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 8:15 PM
  • thx, the only reason I post here was
    1 could not find the forum you mentioned
    2 there were numberous tiemdifferent  version of SGA thrusted upon us causing trouble
    3 I hope someone can pass along the suggestion that msconfig should not under any circumstance cause the need to activate no matter which OS
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 6:57 AM
  • Same here, it is REDICULOUS that after using MSCONFIG that we need to re-activate machines.

Slap in the face of people who are buying legal software!

We repair computers and it a problem often see.

Who makes these illogical decisions at Microsoft?
    Monday, December 7, 2009 8:47 AM
  • Hello mongoled,

I have used msconfig on at least a hundred computers with XP, Vista, and Windows 7 without once running into an issue where after it was used the computer had to be reactivated.

Just because one thing follows another it does not mean that the first thing caused the second thing.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Monday, December 7, 2009 1:33 PM
  • most of the time msconfig does not cause trouble in terms of activation in the past

However this time around, it happened probably with latest WGA and because mscnfig diagnostic disable primary dual vga card driver, mainboard drivers(includes the network), possibly even the sata driver

as far as I am concerned there should be a temporary grace period within which I can carry out the diagnotic and then resume w/o activation once the driver were restored
    Monday, December 7, 2009 3:18 PM
  • Hello fs - ab,

From your more detailed description of what you did, you made enough changes to the hardware signature (by disabling the video, network, and some motherboard drivers) to cause XP to think it had moved to a different computer, thereby triggering the requirement to reactivate.

I doubt that Microsoft will re-engineer Product Activation to accommodate such a rarely occurring situation.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Monday, December 7, 2009 3:53 PM
  • Hello, in hindsight one would have thought that Microsoft would have the engineers to

if MSCONFIG used != Trigger Activation!

How difficult would that have been?

Unfortunately it is very clear, it all there wisdom they never thought of this!

The problem is triggered if you do a diagnostic startup, not something that is so difficult to achieve.

So for me the problem is clear, Microsoft did not make any measure for this not to happen.

Unfortunately the end users have to pay for this 'mishap' while MS rake in the billions.......................
    Monday, December 7, 2009 4:07 PM

•   The only thing that triggers a Reactivation event is if the computer's hardware ID significantely changes or the Product key is changed. 

So, unless your use of MSCONFIG caused a significant hardware ID change or a change in the Product Key being used by XP, then it did not cause (!=) XP to need to be reactivated.

Imagine you are reading a book.  You finish the book and close it. A second later the telephone rings...according to the logic in this thread, closing the book must have caused the phone to ring.

Darin MS

Please see Technical Details on Microsoft Product Activation for Windows XP http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457054.aspx for more information.
    • Edited by Darin Smith MS Monday, December 7, 2009 11:29 PM added link to more information
    Monday, December 7, 2009 11:23 PM
  • I just had the exact same thing happen as the original poster.  I ran msconfig, enabled Diagnostic Startup, rebooted and was immediately notified upon logging in that I had to reactivate XP.  I ran msconfig again, enabled Normal Startup, rebooted and was again notified upon logging in that I had to reactivate XP.  I didn't change any other settings other than what I just described and didn't remove any hardware.  I didn't notice any changes to the video display and the network drivers were still working since I could access the network.  The only thing I noticed while in Diagnostic mode was sound driver was disabled, but I didn't run a full inventory to see what other hardware was no longer recognized.  After Normal Startup, everything was working as before, except for the annoying reactivation notice.

Smart aleck comments by the moderator notwithstanding, there is a direct relationship between running msconfig and having to reactive XP.  So closing the book is causing the bell to ring.  The interesting question is why.

Friday, December 11, 2009 7:38 AM
  • Definitely there is a correlation between using diagnotic mode of msconfig and the need to reactivate for XP.

It may be true  once upon a time that this never had happend before but with recent wga and various update, one can easily  get in this annoying and time consuming activation hassle of bugging a live person to activate.

This happens increasingly frequent causing the automated activation process to think there were too many activation

Furthermore with newer hardware where sata drives are used. diagnotic mode will ofen disable Sata mode. that easily conttribut
    significantly change the "hardware profile"

this in no way will induce customer satisfaction
    Friday, December 11, 2009 10:26 AM
  • Hello MaximumDad,

This is probably the best article available to the public on Windows Product Activation:  http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php

The information about how WPA polls hardware should explain why enabling/disabling hardware by changing what loads and does not load with the msconfig utility affects WPA.

As an aside, I don't understand what all the fuss is about.  It probably took MUCH LONGER for you to find this forum and write your post that it did for you to just reactivate your Windows installation.
    Friday, December 11, 2009 1:42 PM
  • Hello MaximumDad,

This is probably the best article available to the public on Windows Product Activation:  http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php

The information about how WPA polls hardware should explain why enabling/disabling hardware by changing what loads and does not load with the msconfig utility affects WPA.

As an aside, I don't understand what all the fuss is about.  It probably took MUCH LONGER for you to find this forum and write your post that it did for you to just reactivate your Windows installation.

** REPOSTED AS THIS WAS DELETED BEFORE, WHY?? **

It is HOPED that you understand how POMPOUS your views are?

Comments such as

'It probably took MUCH LONGER for you to find this forum and write your post that it did for you to just reactivate your Windows installation'

Are beside the POINT.

The POINT being that people who BOUGHT Microsoft software LEGITIMATLY are incuring problems that are not of their making!

Through out this thread you have choose to show scant respect to the comments made by posters here, you have instead chosen to brush around the edges.

The attitude you have shown here has much to be desired.

I have saved this page as an .mht file as you will probably start editing our posts since you are a moderator here.

You should though be looking to how, in the future, you choose not to be so dismissive of PEOPLE, HUMANS who are posting here........
    Monday, December 14, 2009 2:25 PM
  • Hello mongoled,

You wrote, "Comments such as

'It probably took MUCH LONGER for you to find this forum and write your post that it did for you to just reactivate your Windows installation'

Are beside the POINT."

Yes, I do believe that is a valid description of an "aside."

You wrote, "The POINT being that people who BOUGHT Microsoft software LEGITIMATLY are incuring problems that are not of their making!"

Speaking of points, I think you missed mine.  Mine could be summed up as, "What's the big deal?"  Having to reactivate an installation of XP because use of msconfig tripped the threshhold of the Winndows Product Activation tolerance for hardware changes is not a "problem"; rather it is in Microsoft terminology "expected behavior."  In other words, it's supposed to work that way, so by definition it's not a problem.  So, since there is no problem, I ask, "What's the big deal?"

You wrote, "Through out this thread you have choose to show scant respect to the comments made by posters here, you have instead chosen to brush around the edges.

The attitude you have shown here has much to be desired."

I disagree.

You wrote, "I have saved this page as an .mht file as you will probably start editing our posts since you are a moderator here."

This is factually incorrect, I am not a moderator.

You wrote, "You should though be looking to how, in the future, you choose not to be so dismissive of PEOPLE, HUMANS who are posting here........"

Again, I disagree.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 2:59 AM
  • Well we all have our point of views.

At least other people can now decide for themselves regarding our differing views.

Where as before my post was simply deleted........

When one feels the 'need' to be 'correct' one tends to nit pick, i.e. my mistake, you are not the moderator......

Have a nice day!
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 12:29 PM
  • I have to agree that this is a problem that should be addressed by MS in a new WGA update...
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 2:00 PM
  • I have to agree that this is a problem that should be addressed by MS in a new WGA update...

Thank you Freedom I.T. Systems for your voice of reason.
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 2:42 PM
  • Hello Freedom I.T. Systems,

Please review the excellent article on Windows Product Activation here:  http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php

The "problem" is not a problem, it is the Windows Product Activation system working as designed.
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 5:10 PM