folder renaming and file deleting problems (Vista 64bit SP2) RRS feed

• Question

• -running Vista 64bit SP2
    -just installed SyncToy 2.0 for the first time (64bit version)
    -echo mode
    -both folders in folder pair are on external harddrives (separate ones)
    -large folders (10~50GB), but the problems exist with sub-1GB folder as well

Problem 1: When I delete files on the left folder and preview with SyncToy2.0, the change is not detected.  Then if I go to the Recycle Bin to restore the deleted file back to the left folder and run preview again, it wants to add a new file and when I run it, it creates a file with ".1" appended to the file name.

Problem 2: This has been reported before but although the replies said it's fixed, when I rename folders on the left, a new set of folders is created with the updated names but another set of folders with old names are still there.

Thanks.

• Edited by polaron Sunday, June 21, 2009 5:37 PM
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 9:26 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

For Problem 1, had you sync already and then deleted files?  If you hadn't synced then synctoy does not know about the deletes, and will not delete the extra files on the right side.  When you restore the deleted file are you changing the modified time?  Synctoy should detect it's the same file if the size and last modified time and name are the same.  Are both your harddrive's using the same file system?

For Problem 2, I was able to repro.  But the folders with the old names that should be gone are empty?  I realize they shouldn't be there, just wanted to make sure we have the same problem.  I'm going to try to repro on the latest internal synctoy, as there have been fixes to echo.  I will get back to you.

-Jesse
    Monday, June 22, 2009 6:33 PM
  • Thanks Jesse for the reply:

1) Yes, I synced before I attempted the delete.  Both drives are using NTFS file system.  One of the drives has a password protection but I've entered the password already before attempting this (which means files are accessible).  I tried this again and it's still the same, the modified date is not changed by the delete and restoring from recycle bin.  Also, once this happens, even if I copy the file from the left to the right drive and overwrite it manually and run SyncToy again, it still wants to add a new file and after that, I have the original file and a file with .1 appended.  Then, when I delete the .1 file, and rerun SyncToy, it correctly reports that there is no action needed......

2) New update:  so, I was trying to see if the old folders are empty but this time, when i rename the folder and hit "preview", the actions are deleting the old folders and creating new folders (instead of renaming).  I didn't run the process and changed the folder name back to the original.  Then preview again and this time, it wants to delete the old folders (without creating new ones since I changed the names back).  However, when I hit "run", syncToy crashed and closed.  And when I restart the program, it's the same thing, it wants to delete and crashes in doing so.  I then deleted the folder in question on the right side drive.  SyncToy didn't crash but it only copies partially the folder content from left to right.  So, it seems the action of renaming can have random results? (one is deleting and creating (instead of the renaming action) and the other is not deleting old folders)

Thanks.
    Monday, June 22, 2009 6:59 PM
  • another problem related to problem 1:  If I create a new folder on the left and move a file to the new folder on the left, the echo mode only creates the new folder and new file on the right but doesn't delete the file on the right folder pair that's supposed to be moved to the new folder.  The result is two copies of the same file on the right side folder.

Thanks.

Monday, June 22, 2009 7:30 PM
  • Hi there,

So with the latest build of synctoy I could not repro 2, it appears to be fixed for the next version.

For your problem 1, I could not repro on any version but it seems to be similar to this thread:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/synctoy/thread/71f6f17a-0416-4120-85a0-1b6a1f105920

Sorry for the inconvenience.

-Jesse
    Monday, June 22, 2009 8:29 PM
  • OK, thanks for the clarification.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 1:19 AM
  • One more follow-up question:
    Do these problems exist if I use the sync mode instead of echo?

Thanks.

Saturday, June 27, 2009 1:50 AM
  • One more follow-up question:
    Do these problems exist if I use the sync mode instead of echo?

Thanks.

I just tried SyncToy, it could be a nice tool if it worked. Echo simply works like Contribute and you can't use Sync mode for your purpose because it will recreate deleted folders on the left from copies on the right instead of mirroring. Pathetic.
    How often is this updated?? Aug 08? With these kind of basics not working you should be on that asap and not waiting for some B$ sync 2 framework release scheduled later this calendar year...

Sunday, June 28, 2009 8:18 PM
  • Hi polaron,

Sync mode hasn't had the same bugs as Echo, but as another user so nicely mentioned, it might not be what you need - although I don't know your exact scenario.  From the help file:

• Synchronize: New and updated files are copied both ways. Renames and deletes on either side are repeated on the other.
  • Echo: New and updated files are copied left to right. Renames and deletes on the left are repeated on the right.
  • Contribute: New and updated files are copied left to right. Renames on the left are repeated on the right. No deletions.
  • -Jesse

Monday, June 29, 2009 7:11 PM