none
I want to learn Exchange via E-Leaning, which is the best package? RRS feed

• Question

• I work on a Service Desk and use AD and other MS products, I'm trying to train myself up to get a WINTEL Role and have a TS in Server 2008 Active Director cert.

I've been looking at buying Collection 10270: MCTS (Exam 70-236): Configuring Exchange Server 2007.

This seems to contain ALL the E-learning guides for Exchange 2007, but do I really need to do them all realistically and if not could sombody suggest the best E-Learn guides to buy in the hope of understanding Exchange well enough and also so I suppose I can take the exam at the end of it all?

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 7:30 AM

Answers

• Rule #1 - there is no "best".

That said, using JUST e-learning or computer-based videos without practice exams or reading materials is almost a sure guarantee to fail the exam.

Consider a combination of e-learning (CBT Nuggets, Trainsignal, TestOut) and the MS Press book for the Exchange exam.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 11:43 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

I think this depends a lot on your learning style and the resources that
    are available to you. I personally work best with reading material and
    working hands on with the technologies, so I usually build VMs to learn
    new products on.

If you have a system that you can create a virtualized network on (using
    something like Virtual Server,
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/bb738033.aspx), I would
    use the self-paced training kits and work through the labs.

I've found that you can build a DC for use with Exchange with about 512
    MB of RAM using Server 2008 R2 and an Exchange 2010 deployment with
    around 1024MB of RAM, so a system with 2.5-3 GB of RAM is usually
    sufficient (though it can be slow at times, particularly if the disk
    subsystem is shared between the virtualized systems and there are not
    enough processors available).

-- Mike Burr
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 11:47 PM
  • Hi,

I would suggest visit the below site

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/training/exchange-server.aspx

Sachin Shetty| MCP|MCTS|MCITP| Please remember to mark the replies as answers and Vote as helpful if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.Thank you in advance.
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 11:36 AM

All replies

• Rule #1 - there is no "best".

That said, using JUST e-learning or computer-based videos without practice exams or reading materials is almost a sure guarantee to fail the exam.

Consider a combination of e-learning (CBT Nuggets, Trainsignal, TestOut) and the MS Press book for the Exchange exam.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 11:43 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi, I understand the learning process/materials to use as I used all the methods you mention for my previous exam apart from E-learning but as Exchange is totally new to me I wanted the next best thing to classroom learning which of which I assume E-learning is the next best alternative?
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 12:09 PM
  • Well....the next best thing would be one of the three computer based training providers mentioned.  All three are reputable, and each has their strengths/weaknesses.  I'd suggest going to each site and reviewing what each as specific to Exchange to see if it meets your needs.
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 7:44 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

I think this depends a lot on your learning style and the resources that
    are available to you. I personally work best with reading material and
    working hands on with the technologies, so I usually build VMs to learn
    new products on.

If you have a system that you can create a virtualized network on (using
    something like Virtual Server,
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/bb738033.aspx), I would
    use the self-paced training kits and work through the labs.

I've found that you can build a DC for use with Exchange with about 512
    MB of RAM using Server 2008 R2 and an Exchange 2010 deployment with
    around 1024MB of RAM, so a system with 2.5-3 GB of RAM is usually
    sufficient (though it can be slow at times, particularly if the disk
    subsystem is shared between the virtualized systems and there are not
    enough processors available).

-- Mike Burr
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 11:47 PM
  • Hi Mike, yes when I trained before I setup a VMWare environment but I noticed the package I mention has labs throughout and wondered if this replaces the need to virtualise the servers yourself, I just want an all in one package just like the class would offer this time around.

Thursday, July 8, 2010 8:09 AM
  • Hi,

I would suggest visit the below site

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/training/exchange-server.aspx

Sachin Shetty| MCP|MCTS|MCITP| Please remember to mark the replies as answers and Vote as helpful if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.Thank you in advance.
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 11:36 AM
  • Thanks this is where I originally started.

All I am trying to find out is will E-learning replace the need for me to host Exchange Virtual environments of my own and is this second best to attending a class which would also provide these environments for me.

Once I know this it will help me decide if I should pay £260 for the E-learning which would save me over £1500 is class fee's and also save the time of me setting up my own Virtual Environment.

Thanks!

Thursday, July 8, 2010 11:49 AM
  • Can it replace the need for running Exchange on a VM?  Yes.  Some of the providers like TestOut include lab simulations which can replace the need for running an  actual copy of Exchange.  That being said, if you're also using the MS Press (or other) book, working hands on directly with Exchange will give you some very practical experience.
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 12:46 PM
    Answerer