Two error messages RRS feed

• General discussion

• After I upgraded to Windows 10 Home a few months ago and did the registry fix my Microsoft Money 2015 UK version (v 14.0.120.1105) worked ok. However more recently I started to get a problem with two error messages:

Error 1: When I closed Microsoft Money then try to open it again within a few minutes I received the error message “Money is already running”.

Error 2: When I Money was running and I tried to download transactions in QIF or OFX format from a bank or credit card account I received the error message “You cannot perform this operation at the moment. There is an online operation in progress. Please try again later.”

The reason for both these errors seems to be that Money hangs up trying to access something on the internet. I have found a solution and my Microsoft Money is working again.

Does anybody else see this problem? If so I will provide details of how to fix it quite easily.

Friday, March 25, 2016 11:42 AM

All replies

• I have two Problems when trying to work with Money 2005 under Windows 10:

1. Error Message: "Money is already running"

2. Error Message: "Password is incorrect" (or similar). Under Windows 7 I used a Password to open my .mny files. Now under Windows 10 Money does not recognise the Password anymore and does not open the file.

Help would very much beeing appreciated.

Friday, March 25, 2016 5:04 PM
  • I can't help with your password problem going from Windows 7 to 10. My original money password still works fine.

You can test if your "money is already running error" is due to msmoney.exe hanging while trying to connect to the internet by temporarily disabling your internet connection in the Network & Sharing Centre. If the error stops when you are completely offline then you know that this is the problem and can go onto the next step which is to use Windows Firewall to just block msmoney.exe from the internet.

First you have to go to the view tab of Folder Options to set the option to "show hidden folders.." and also untick "hide protected system files". This is so you will be able to browse to see msmoney.exe which can be found at C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Money 2005/MNY Core Files/msmoney.exe. Then read http://www.howtogeek.com/227093/how-to-block-an-application-from-accessing-the-internet-with-windows-firewall/ for a description of how to set up a rule in Windows Firewall to block just one program, msmoney.exe, from the internet.

After doing this I can again download bank statements and import them into Microsoft Money while the program is running and when I close the program it closes properly and can be reopened instantly. Hope it works for you and anyone else with similar error messages.

Saturday, March 26, 2016 12:50 PM
  • Re 2. Incorrect password.

If you installed from a Money 2005 installation disk you do not have version 14.0.120.1105. You need the updated regional version of Money 2005 from the links in the second post in this forum. If you are in the US or Canada you need Money Sunset

Saturday, March 26, 2016 8:48 PM
  • I can't help with your password problem going from Windows 7 to 10. My original money password still works fine.

You can test if your "money is already running error" is due to msmoney.exe hanging while trying to connect to the internet by temporarily disabling your internet connection in the Network & Sharing Centre. If the error stops when you are completely offline then you know that this is the problem and can go onto the next step which is to use Windows Firewall to just block msmoney.exe from the internet.

First you have to go to the view tab of Folder Options to set the option to "show hidden folders.." and also untick "hide protected system files". This is so you will be able to browse to see msmoney.exe which can be found at C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Money 2005/MNY Core Files/msmoney.exe. Then read http://www.howtogeek.com/227093/how-to-block-an-application-from-accessing-the-internet-with-windows-firewall/ for a description of how to set up a rule in Windows Firewall to block just one program, msmoney.exe, from the internet.

After doing this I can again download bank statements and import them into Microsoft Money while the program is running and when I close the program it closes properly and can be reopened instantly. Hope it works for you and anyone else with similar error messages.

Nicely innovative.
    Sunday, March 27, 2016 5:18 AM
  • Another solution to 'Money is already running' problem - launch Task Manager via Ctrl-Alt-Delete and you will indeed find MSMoney running as an application even though you have quit the programme. 'End' that task and all will be well....

Dr AS

Sunday, March 27, 2016 9:07 AM
  • Yes you can use task manager to stop Microsoft running after you have closed it but I found this rather inconvenient particularly when going from one money file to another and having to open task manager every time.

What surprises me is that nobody else has reported seeing both the error messages “Money is already running” and “You cannot perform this operation at the moment. There is an online operation in progress Please try again later”. These error messages started appearing with all my money files so were not file specific and related to using the UK version of the Money program with Windows 10 home with automatic updates.

They started happening after I had been using Money with Windows 10 successfully for many weeks. I haven't a clue as to what changed to cause them to start to occur? Anyhow the fix I did using Windows Firewall to block the program from the internet has saved the day for me.

Friday, April 1, 2016 11:30 AM
  • Yes you can use task manager to stop Microsoft running after you have closed it but I found this rather inconvenient particularly when going from one money file to another and having to open task manager every time.

Ah. This has happened to me prior to upgrading to W10 so I knew what to do and it takes 2 tics. Never happened when switching files, only when signing out and then back in e.g. when I forget to enter something. I suspect the 'Money.lrd' temporary file has a role here - it disappears when Money folds its tents correctly, and not when it doesn't.

Dr AS

Friday, April 1, 2016 12:40 PM
  • You can test if your "money is already running error" is due to msmoney.exe hanging while trying to connect to the internet by temporarily disabling your internet connection in the Network & Sharing Centre. If the error stops when you are completely offline then you know that this is the problem and can go onto the next step which is to use Windows Firewall to just block msmoney.exe from the internet.

This worked for me too! I was having the problem with the internet connection on Windows 7. I have now blocked Money in the firewall and I can now import statements again.

Many thanks,

Phil

Wednesday, July 26, 2017 8:32 PM
  • Yes, have these problems - what is the solution?

Michael Pasek

Sunday, September 1, 2019 11:49 AM
  • Did you try using Windows Firewall to block Money from accessing the internet as described above in this thread?

Bill Becker

Monday, September 2, 2019 3:31 AM
  • Sorry, just releaed that was the fix. I've impelmented and will monitor.

thanks

Michael Pasek

Monday, September 2, 2019 11:06 AM
  • Money can sometimes be slow to close but it usually does close. Else you may need to terminate it from Task Manager. Ensure you have the latest UK version from this forum or here https://www.garethjmsaunders.co.uk/tag/microsoft-money/

Use file Money2005-UK-QFE2.exe

I always install Money as an administrator using compatibility mode for Windows XP

• Edited by SC489 Tuesday, January 28, 2020 8:39 AM
    Wednesday, September 4, 2019 6:21 PM