Updating the HP Mediasmart NIC driver RRS feed

• Question

•  

Has anyone tried to update the NIC driver in the HP Mediasmart? I tried after getting a newer driver from the SiS site, but while installing it, the remote connection was lost and I was unable to connect back to the box to finish the installation. I restarted it, but no luck.  I had to re-install the WHS software from the server recovery disk, and then I had to uninstall and re-install the connector/server software for every machine I have connected to the WHS (4) as no of them would re-connect. Anyone have suggestions for upgrading the NIC driver?
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 10:26 PM

Answers

• You should never attempt to update a network driver (or any driver for a critical subsystem, really) through a remote desktop connection. As you've found, the update will cause you to disconnect when it unloads the old driver, and if there is additional configuration required to get the new driver working (as it sounds like there was in your case), there will be no way to perform it.

In the case of the HP MediaSmart Server, this means that you should wait for HP or Microsoft to push an updated driver through their respective update mechanisms (if they ever do). At this point, I think you will have to use the recovery CD that HP supplied to perform a server recovery. You can call HP to see if there's another option, but I don't think there will be.

Friday, March 7, 2008 6:45 PM

All replies

• Can I ask why you would want to update the driver?

Andrew

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 10:45 PM
  •  

I updated it from the SIS site. The remote connection was lost, and then I realized that maybe I shouldn't have done that. However, I was then able to reboot it and all was well. I'm not sure it gave me anything important to have done that, perhaps maybe a little better performance, though I'm not sure that's really from the driver update.

I'm not helping much, but I didn't do anything fancy to do this...

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 1:49 AM
  • Well, for seveal reasons.

1) The driver shipped is over a year old and a new driver exists.

2) Maybe a new driver will help increase data transfer speeds.

3) Maybe a new driver will stop the data corruption issue.

4) Maybe a new driver will prevent video streaming stalls on media centers and computers connected to the same network as the WHS?

Why not update the driver? Is there a reason NOT to?

Friday, March 7, 2008 4:14 PM
  •  Soilfreeze wrote:

Well, for seveal reasons.

1) The driver shipped is over a year old and a new driver exists.

2) Maybe a new driver will help increase data transfer speeds.

3) Maybe a new driver will stop the data corruption issue.

4) Maybe a new driver will prevent video streaming stalls on media centers and computers connected to the same network as the WHS?

Why not update the driver? Is there a reason NOT to?

By all means try, but to try and address your points:

1 - maybe HP shipped their boxes with that driver for a reason? Maybe the new driver isnt compatible with WHS? As I said, give it a try.

2 - possibly, but its more likely to be something within your network, and without knowing what your exact network setup and config is then its guesswork.

3 - nope, the data corruption issue is nothing to do with the HP NIC driver. If it was, then the corruption issue would only effect MediaSmart servers.

4 - maybe - give it a try.

Andrew

Friday, March 7, 2008 5:01 PM
  • "...give it a try."  Well you see, that was the whole reason for this thread. HOW?

Friday, March 7, 2008 5:05 PM
  • Why dont you use Remote Desktop from a client pc to connect to the WHS, download the driver locally onto the box and then run it locally.

Andrew

Friday, March 7, 2008 6:01 PM
  • I did. Then the connection was terminated and I could not re-connect to the WHS box from the client. I re-booted the WHS box and was still not able to remote connect to it. Wouldn't a dialog box appear on the WHS box after driver update that would ask to confirm and reboot? This step could not be taken since the connection to the remote computer is terminated. The re-boot seems to put the WHS box in a "limbo" state not getting an IP address from the DHCP server as the driver hasn't finished the load process. This also may, possibly in my case, lead to a corrupted driver if the WHS box is forced to shut-down and reboot manually.

Friday, March 7, 2008 6:19 PM
  • You should never attempt to update a network driver (or any driver for a critical subsystem, really) through a remote desktop connection. As you've found, the update will cause you to disconnect when it unloads the old driver, and if there is additional configuration required to get the new driver working (as it sounds like there was in your case), there will be no way to perform it.

In the case of the HP MediaSmart Server, this means that you should wait for HP or Microsoft to push an updated driver through their respective update mechanisms (if they ever do). At this point, I think you will have to use the recovery CD that HP supplied to perform a server recovery. You can call HP to see if there's another option, but I don't think there will be.

Friday, March 7, 2008 6:45 PM
  • I guess then the only way to do it right now (wait for HP or Microsoft..yeah right) would be to install a video card in the HP box and update the driver locally. Oh Newegg.....

Friday, March 7, 2008 8:08 PM
  • The HP MediaSmart Server has no slots for the installation of a video card. There's a header on the motherboard for the onboard video, but no published pinout so that you could create your own cable, and no standard video connector on the back.

I really think that server recovery will be your best bet to get it working again.
    Friday, March 7, 2008 8:17 PM
  • From upgrading the memory, I thought the connector on the board was a standard PCIE slot, but I can't remember and this article doesn't show much (http://www.homeserverhacks.com/2007/12/upgrade-memory-in-your-hp-ex470.html). I have already completed the server recovery using the disks and the system is back up and running. Thanks for you input, I will continue to forge ahead in finding a way to get the outdated driver updated

Friday, March 7, 2008 8:41 PM
  • The slot on the motherboard is for the SATA backplane. There are two headers on the MB, one for video and the other for keyboard and mouse, but as I said there are no pinouts.
    Friday, March 7, 2008 9:26 PM