WHS on desktop RRS feed

• Question

• can i install Windows homeserver on my desktop? or does it need to have its own box?, we have two laptops and a desktop at my house and love to have all the media shared from home server.
    Monday, March 9, 2009 9:47 PM

Answers

• Please have a look overhere to find all the info you need. When you have some experience in building systems you can choose to build your own box.

Please note that Windows Home Server software is OEM only. In practice this means you can legally buy and install the software on a home built system, however since it's OEM there is no free support from the software vendor or Microsoft. 

Alternatively you can buy a complete solution. There's a growing number of system builders that sell Home Server boxes, for example HP, Fujitsi Siemens, Tranquil and many more. These systems come pre-installed and with support.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Tuesday, March 10, 2009 12:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by nwdude Tuesday, March 10, 2009 5:21 AM
    Monday, March 9, 2009 11:45 PM

All replies

• Windows Home Server needs it's own hardware - it will format all disks it finds during installation.

While this could also be a virtual system (which is an unsupported scenario), it's requirements are relatively high and would degrade the perfomance of the host system too much if used form more than testing.
    In theory also a multi boot scenario could work, but this would not allow parallel usage of the client and server OS on that machine and could have potential side effects which may end in data loss.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, March 9, 2009 10:28 PM
  • i am a totally newbie to this home server, so in plain words, could you please tell me what i need to buy to be able to setup the home server? hardware+software and any help on how this will be hooked up to a wired desktpop and wireless laptop. (currenlty i use a router to spread wireless internet around the house)

Monday, March 9, 2009 11:03 PM
  • Please have a look overhere to find all the info you need. When you have some experience in building systems you can choose to build your own box.

Please note that Windows Home Server software is OEM only. In practice this means you can legally buy and install the software on a home built system, however since it's OEM there is no free support from the software vendor or Microsoft. 

Alternatively you can buy a complete solution. There's a growing number of system builders that sell Home Server boxes, for example HP, Fujitsi Siemens, Tranquil and many more. These systems come pre-installed and with support.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Tuesday, March 10, 2009 12:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by nwdude Tuesday, March 10, 2009 5:21 AM
    Monday, March 9, 2009 11:45 PM