70-457 exam prep materials? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm slated to take the 70-448 soon, and will need to eventually upgrade.  The path I'd take to get up to MCSA would require (after passing the 70-448, of course) would be to take 2 transition exams.  The first of which is the 70-457, and I'd like to maybe have the study prep materials on hand for when I can ramp up to continue.  It looks as though there aren't any training materials yet; do we know when they will be available?

Thanks!

-Jen

Saturday, July 7, 2012 7:14 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Jen,

I'm not aware that any preparation material is available yet, but I think it will be released in the next weeks.

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

• Proposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Tuesday, July 10, 2012 1:27 AM
    Saturday, July 7, 2012 9:11 AM
    Answerer
  • The exam's page on the Microsoft Learning web site lists no available training materials yet:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?id=70-457#tab3 

Dimitri C. - Please mark the replies as answers if they help! Thanks.

Monday, July 9, 2012 7:27 AM
  • Use the skills measured in Dimitri's link to research content online using SQL Server Books Online and MSDN.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 1:27 AM
  • Microsoft no longer seems to provide any study material (books, etc) for the SQL upgrade exams.  I had the same problem with my upgrade certs for sql 2005 and sql 2008.  I could find no books for any of the sql upgrade exams and ended up having to use the books for the regular exams.  This unfortunetally meant that I had to read more books than I should have since there are more non-upgrade exams to take.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 6:02 PM
  •  

Exam 70-457 is based on Exams 70-461 and 70-462

Training Kit (Exam 70-461): Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012                                                  Release Nov. 2012

Training Kit (Exam 70-462): Administering Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Databases                         Released

Rapid Review 70-461: Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012                                                          Release Nov. 2012

Rapid Review 70-462: Administering Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Data                                          Release Dec. 2012

Exam 70-458 is based on Exams 70-462 and 70-463

Training Kit (Exam 70-462): Administering Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Databases                         Released

Training Kit (Exam 70-463): Implementing a Data Warehouse with Microsoft SQL Server 2012    Release Nov. 2012

Abdulmuttalib Kabani

MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCTS, MCSD.NET, CAPM ,EPSP (U of W), DCA, M.COM.

MCP ID: 3103336

www.EfOneSchool.com

• Proposed as answer by MarkDavisHQ Thursday, October 4, 2012 5:02 PM
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 3:13 PM
  • I understand that the upgrade exams are based on the regular exams.  My point was that I have no choice but to read 3 books instead of 2 in this case.  Microsoft simply no longer seems to publish training kits for the SQL upgrade exams, not since SQL 2000.
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 3:47 PM
  • I have passed 70-457 today. I didn't use any special training material. Instead I used the list on the Skills Being Measured tab as a checklist. I copied the list to a Word document and colored the subjects red, yellow, or green to know which one to focus on. I practiced my weak subjects using online resources. I did do 70-433 a few months ago so most of the material was still fresh.

I don't have much experience with the data warehouse subjects so I might want to get the 70-463 Training kit. However I do need to wait until November unit that book will be available. Maybe I will do another exam first. I will have to think about that.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 5:46 PM