none
TechNet profile thinks my email address is an old one and doesn't match the current Preferred Email in my Microsoft Account RRS feed

• Question

• I've had a TechNet account for some years, and after changing my email provider, Technet still thinks I am using my old email account.  It has been removed from my Microsoft Account, but TechNet is not seeing this change, and won't let me set up notifications until I verify my old address...

Kind of stuck here...

Bill Wagoner

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 7:22 PM

Answers

• On the "Quick access" menu in the upper left of most pages you can select "My settings". Then you can configure the email address to use for alerts. No need to verify any old address.

Edit: "My settings" is the last entry on the "Quick access" menu:

The alert configuration looks like this:

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 7:34 PM

All replies

• On the "Quick access" menu in the upper left of most pages you can select "My settings". Then you can configure the email address to use for alerts. No need to verify any old address.

Edit: "My settings" is the last entry on the "Quick access" menu:

The alert configuration looks like this:

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 7:34 PM
  • Richard, I'd love it to be that simple, but here is what I see when I go there:

Configure alerts

You cannot receive email alerts until you verify the confirmation email recently sent to 'bwagoner@OLDEMAILPROVIDER.com'. (Resend) (Cancel)

It used to not say "recently", but the initial confirmation email must have been sent years ago.  I tried recently to send it again (I still have limited access to the old account) and got the email, clicked on the Verify link, and got this:

Internal Server Error

Sorry, We were unable to service your request. Please try again later.

Lucky me...I have "tried later" to no avail.

TechNet seems to have my OLDEMAILPROVIDER address stuck in my profile.

Bill Wagoner

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 8:37 PM
  • Richard, trying what you showed me in your post helped me see that I had a (Cancel) option, which I tried, and the chance to enter a new address presented itself. I am now set.  

Thanks!

Bill Wagoner

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 8:43 PM
  • I'm glad that worked. I will have to remember the Cancel button for the future.

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 9:00 PM