none
DiskName is blank, how to fix? RRS feed

• Question

• I've got 8 drives installed on a new WHS build, but for some reason, one of the disks has a blank name (in both the Storage Tab and the Disk Management Add in).

What causes this, and more importantly, how can I rename this to show something meaningful (like what appears in the BIOS boot up for this drive)?

I tried the Edit DiskName in Disk Management but it just crashes the console.
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 5:54 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the suggestion. Rebooting and re-adding did not help. I noticed that most of my drives did not have a friendlyname specified, and while I was pondering what to do, I stumbled across a blog here: http://computingondemand.com/?p=1028
    which said:

"They key you are looking to modify is under [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Disks\xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx\Attributes] and called ManufactureName "

and after a reboot, that worked great!
    • Marked as answer by sellenoff Tuesday, April 7, 2009 4:56 PM
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 4:55 PM

All replies

• First try reboot server. If this doesn't help you can try to remove the disk using the WHS console, reboot, then add the disk once more.

If you're familiar and confident with the registry editor you can have a look at the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Disks, for each of the listed disks check the content of the subkey FriendlyName. If you find a disk for which this key is empty change the value of this key to the name you want.

To open registry editor log on to your homeserver (Remote desktop is fine), then Start, Run, Type regedit and hit Enter.
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 3:05 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion. Rebooting and re-adding did not help. I noticed that most of my drives did not have a friendlyname specified, and while I was pondering what to do, I stumbled across a blog here: http://computingondemand.com/?p=1028
    which said:

"They key you are looking to modify is under [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Disks\xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx\Attributes] and called ManufactureName "

and after a reboot, that worked great!
    • Marked as answer by sellenoff Tuesday, April 7, 2009 4:56 PM
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 4:55 PM