Ok to install Archiving on main OCS server? RRS feed

• Question

• I have one Standard Edition server running in my org currently.  It provides internal-only IM and conferencing for about 600 users.  I plan to add an Edge server next quarter for external access.

I'd like to eable archiving.  Is it ok to install the archiving service on my current Standard Edition server and have it connect to a SQL 2000 database on another system?  Or am I required to add an addtional Standard Edition server to run the archving service?  (It would still connect to a separate SQL 2000 server)
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 5:29 PM

All replies

• Its a supported configuration. You just need to evaluate the performance of the server and make sure its not getting overloaded.

R. Kinker
    MCSE 2003 (Messaging), MCTS - (LCS 2005, OCS 2007)
    http://www.ocspedia.com
    http://www.ITCentrics.com

Sunday, March 2, 2008 8:13 AM
  • Yes, you can find your answer in the OCS Planning guide

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=723347C6-FA1F-44D8-A7FA-8974C3B596F4&displaylang=en

A Standard Edition Server can be collocated with the Archiving and CDR Server, but this configuration is strongly discouraged because of performance limitations.

Greetings,
    Johan

Monday, March 10, 2008 12:51 PM
  • I have another question to add on to that. Would the Archiving server be able to run off of SQL Express Edition that OCS Standard automatically installs?

Friday, August 8, 2008 11:48 AM
  • That is certainly not supported!

If you look into the Archiving Deployment guide you will see this requirement for SQL Server

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=52627734-B354-4F74-A6ED-E298259CDA19&displaylang=en

Before you can enable archiving, Microsoft SQL Server must be installed either on the computer that is running the Archiving and CDR Server or on a dedicated database server. Ensure that you have either SQL Server 2005, SP1 (32-bit or 64-bit) or SQL Server 2000 SP4 installed.

In the OCS Supportability guide you can find this information

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=F8CC9B59-225F-425D-BD3A-E506396C6207&displaylang=en

Any Enterprise pool Back-End Database or Archiving and CDR Server supports the following database management systems:
    SQL Server 2005 SP2 Enterprise Edition, 32-bit or 64-bit
    SQL Server 2005 SP1 Enterprise Edition, 32-bit or 64-bit
    SQL Server 2000 SP4 Enterprise Edition
    SQL Server 2005 SP2 Standard Edition, 32-bit or 64-bit
    SQL Server 2005 SP1 Standard Edition, 32-bit or 64-bit
    SQL Server 2000 SP4 Standard Edition

Note
    The database for the Archiving and CDR Server requires a supported version of SQL Server, even if the database is collocated with a Standard Edition server.

So you have to install a new SQL Instance for Archiving & CDR Server

Friday, August 8, 2008 1:14 PM
  • hmm, I went through the documents and did see that. So does that mean that I would have to get another server for the archiving database? You mention that it can be collocated with the Standard Edition Server. I remember reading somewhere that when going through the Standard Edition installation it does not prompt you where your SQL instance resides, it automatically installs SQL Express. Is that true? or can I just install SQL standard and have an instance for OCS database and another instance for Archiving? 

I basically want IM/Presence and Archiving all on 1 server. And it looks like I would need 2 servers:

1. OCS and Database.

2. Archiving and Database.

If Archiving is not supported with SQL Express then I would need to get OCS on SQL Standard as well rather then Express Edition, but question is, is it possible to get ocs database on sql standard.

Hope that makes sense. I usually make things more complicated then they are. Sorry. I appreciate the help. I've gone through so many documents all the information is just jumbled around in my head.

Friday, August 8, 2008 1:45 PM
  • You can run OCS Standard and Archiving on the same server

You just install the Standard server with SQL MSDE via the wizard

Then install SQL 2005 SP1 on the same server and create a new SQL instance

Then install the Archiving server on the same machine and direct the Archiving server to the new SQL instance

Just follow the Archving Deployment guide for all steps

So you can run all of this on one server

Friday, August 8, 2008 2:03 PM
  •  

Ok, awesome, I guess wouldnt think i would be able to have both SQL MSDE and 2005 installed on same box.

One last thing. How do I mark this post as 'Answered'?

Thanks Deli for your help. You the man.

Friday, August 8, 2008 2:13 PM
  • You have not started this thread so you can't mark this one as Answered Sad

The only thing you can do is to check wether it was helpfull or not

You can go to my post(s) that helped you and mark them as helpfull

Thanks

Friday, August 8, 2008 2:31 PM