Cannot open or restore money files after reinstallation n Money 2004 RRS feed

• Question

• When I have done this in the past (as late as April 2011) Money looked for an update as part of the installtion process, it now does not do that in eithe 7 or XP Pro. As a result I cannot load files, it just keeps giving messgaes that the file cannot be located. I have tried launching Money by clicking on the .mny file in My documents and that says it needs to upgrade the file and again I get the "cannot find" messgae. Have I lost 16 years of data?
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 10:33 AM

All replies

• Definitely 2004 and not 2005? Sure?
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 10:41 AM
  • Yes. By the way I'm in the UK.
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 11:55 AM
  • I was looking at the disc, apoligies you are correct just looked at properties it is 2005. I'm new to this froum process can you point me to the thread plese?

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 1:05 PM
  • No worries, I suspected it was 2005 I just wanted it confirmed. These threads will be of use to you, especially the second one.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/money/thread/7a8004a7-4b5d-436c-b0c6-99167d9ce509

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/money/thread/dfa5b7bd-b200-4cd5-9e39-199dbadff09d

Jim

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 1:09 PM
  • Thnk you for giving me the threads. Because I do not have an installed version including the patch (I had to do a clean reinnstall of W7) and like other folks comments I have never backed-up programs because I would always re-install, I gather that as a UK user basically I've had it" unless MS offer something to non-US users?
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 2:54 PM
  • Officially, yes you've had it. Unofficially, read the threads I've pointed out (and the other threads on the same page). I offered the critical MnyCoreFiles for download (for UK Money 2005), and others have now too. There's links to exactly what you need, either in those threads or ones on the same page. They are there.

Illegal? Probably. But given that M$ now offers Money Sunset for free, with no eligibility checking that you had a previous version etc, I doubt they would complain.

Edit: The last posting in that second thread I gave gives you a direct link to the download. So you have a dead straightforward way forward. Easy.
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 3:00 PM
  • Thank you very much. I think I was loosing the will to live going thru those posts and might not have got to the end.

Apologies for beng thick, but do install this instead of mny 2004 or after (or something else)?

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 4:14 PM
  • If I read that final post correctly, it's a full ISO. So, download it and save it to your computer. Then right-clcik it and choose "burn to CD" (do this on your Win 7 machine as CD-burning is easier on there). That will give you a brand new CD containing all you need.

Uninstall whatever version of Money you currently have installed, reboot, and then install Money from scratch *using the CD you just burned*. This will have the opatch built in, installing Money 2005 version 1105.

You should then be ready to go to the pub :-)

Jim

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 4:17 PM