Problems with CRM 2011 for Outlook rollup 6: Action Microsoft.CRm.UpdateWrapper.MspInstallAction failed RRS feed

• Question

• I have CRM 2011 installed in a NON-IFD configuration. I was able to install the rollup for the server with no issues. Server restarted fine and my database is accessible from within my single domain network via IE with no issues. When I attempted to install rollup 6 on my first client machine, I got the following error:

Action Microsoft.CRm.UpdateWrapper.MspInstallAction failed. The upgrade path cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded might be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program....

Side note: One significant reason for my update with the rollup is because I cannot configure the Outlook client. Everytime I run the configuration wizard, it can't find the CRM server: "There is a problem communicating with the Microsoft Dynamics CRM server. The server might be unavailable. Try again later. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator".

I've read many posts on the forums about this last issue... NOTHING has worked to resolve the issue... I check the system clock, I cleaned the registry, I even uninstalled Outlook and reinstalled Outlook... I reviewed permissions via AD... Nothing has worked so far. I previously had CRM v4 (with the Outlook client installed) and that worked fine...

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:40 PM

All replies

• Hi

I came across this link.

It says the installation package for UR 6 were re-released

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2668504

Let me know if this solves your problem

• Proposed as answer by nrodriEditor Thursday, February 2, 2012 2:31 PM
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 12:40 PM
  • It doesn't solve the problem. I downloaded the rollup (6) from the Microsoft website yesterday and successfully installed. Issue still remains. No scripting has been added to our deployment. Issue occurs when I open any OOB form or the customizations window.
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 2:49 PM
  • did you uninstall and then install:

"To resolve this issue you will need to uninstall the current Dynamics CRM Server, Client, E-mail Router or any other component you may have installed using those slipstream packages. Then you will need to reinstall with the new packages that are available on the Microsoft Download Site."

Visit my blog for CRM material, improving performance, kerberos, IFD, development tips, etc. :) http://quantusdynamics.blogspot.com
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 3:21 PM
    Answerer
  • I only downloaded the rollup two days ago... after Microsoft re-released  rollup 6. If I need to re-install all of the server/client components with the NEW rollup 6 then Microsoft needs to re-release roll-up 6 AGAIN. Very reckless of Microsoft... There has to be an alternative to resolving the issue... Microsoft needs to release a hotfix... Telling customers that they need to uninstall/reinstall all of the software based on a company-issued update is horrible.

If anyone has ideas concerning what the issue is and how it can be resolved without ripping out the server, I'd appreciate the assistance.

As far as I'm concerned this is an embarrassment...

Thursday, February 2, 2012 3:47 PM
  • Is it possible that the client PC already has RU6 installed, via Windows Update?  I ask because one of my clients had this exact issue yesterday.  Turns out the copy of the Outlook Client he downloaded already had RU 6 installed.

Richard Weck Harris Technology

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 7:25 PM
  • Windows update is not turned on and RU 6 for the client was downloaded simultaneously as the server RU... Again, both were downloaded AFTER the debacle of Microsoft releasing RU6 then "recinding" the rollup...

The only solution I've seen so far is to entirely uninstall CRM and reinstall with RU 6... Again, a complete embarrassment for Microsoft if this is the case...

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 4:46 PM
  • you find the resulotion?
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 3:30 PM