Media Streaming - Inconsistancies & gripes - can you help RRS feed

• Question

• Here's the deal folks:

WHS setup and working a treat in terms of backups, management fine not got into removing drives or anything yet because of the problems I've seen on the forums. Streaming is a biggy for me but I'm having issues understanding this situation:

• WHS Music folder is configured with streaming on.
    • XBOX 360 can sometimes see the files.  There appears to be no sense or logic to "sometimes" BTW.
    • XBOX with XBMC (sorry MS but you really missed the boat there) sees the WHS box but doesn't display any content (files) to play.
    • Vista PC (WMP11) sees WHS box but says "no files have been found on this remote library". (view WHS by share e.g. smb and the files are all listed - it's just a share why wouldn't they be)
    • Windows XP PC (WMP11) I understand xp wmp11 doesn't handle streaming but for why? Umpteen other clients out ther for PC's can do it.

The key thing for me is to understand the xbox360 issue, the xbox issue, and the vista pc issue.  I've tried disabling and re-enabling streaming (reboot in between as well) and that makes no difference to the above situations.  any suggestions on deciphering these inconsistant behaviours?

Thursday, March 29, 2007 5:53 PM

Answers

• Try disabling any firewalls that may be blocking UPnP. I've seen it where my firewall was blocking UPnP and I was unable to access the media library from another machine until I disabled the firewall. 
    Thursday, March 29, 2007 6:37 PM
  • Windows XP with WMP 11 can't stream from a Windows Media Connect source because some of the APIs required to support that functionality don't exist in XP. Or so I understand. If you want to stream from WHS to an XP PC, you'll have to use a third party solution. This is a limitation of WMP on XP, not WHS.
    Thursday, March 29, 2007 7:01 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Windows XP with WMP 11 can't stream from a Windows Media Connect source because some of the APIs required to support that functionality don't exist in XP. Or so I understand. If you want to stream from WHS to an XP PC, you'll have to use a third party solution. This is a limitation of WMP on XP, not WHS.

Yes, Windows Media Player 11 on Windows XP does not support Media Sharing which is the functionality that is used by WHS for "streaming" music.
    Thursday, March 29, 2007 10:00 PM
  • For most of these clients you should be able to just directly hit the share.  I know you loose some functionality of upnp, but at least you'll be able to play your media.

Friday, March 30, 2007 2:41 PM

All replies

• Try disabling any firewalls that may be blocking UPnP. I've seen it where my firewall was blocking UPnP and I was unable to access the media library from another machine until I disabled the firewall. 
    Thursday, March 29, 2007 6:37 PM
  • Windows XP with WMP 11 can't stream from a Windows Media Connect source because some of the APIs required to support that functionality don't exist in XP. Or so I understand. If you want to stream from WHS to an XP PC, you'll have to use a third party solution. This is a limitation of WMP on XP, not WHS.
    Thursday, March 29, 2007 7:01 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Windows XP with WMP 11 can't stream from a Windows Media Connect source because some of the APIs required to support that functionality don't exist in XP. Or so I understand. If you want to stream from WHS to an XP PC, you'll have to use a third party solution. This is a limitation of WMP on XP, not WHS.

Yes, Windows Media Player 11 on Windows XP does not support Media Sharing which is the functionality that is used by WHS for "streaming" music.
    Thursday, March 29, 2007 10:00 PM
  • For most of these clients you should be able to just directly hit the share.  I know you loose some functionality of upnp, but at least you'll be able to play your media.

Friday, March 30, 2007 2:41 PM
  • Ken,

I just wanted to update on this subject.. I have been doing a bit a playing around with other programs out there.. I found that Winamp will pickup and stream this to an xp maching.. I am using it at work streaming to my desktop.. Big Smile

Chris

Monday, April 23, 2007 10:29 PM
  • I am able to get video to play, but not music.  THe majority of my music is MP3, with the 2 videos being HD versions of WMV.

Any ideas?

Edit: Got it to work.

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 1:42 PM
  •  Tom Ziegmann (MS) wrote:

You mean seriously that all the streaming does not work with XP and WMP 11?

On Vista I see my server twice in Networks - one as Streaming Host and one for File access. I tried now the same on XP to get my WMP 11 to stream... That would explain why I can't find any information on HOW to do that ...

Saturday, June 30, 2007 11:30 AM