none
Any danger in upgrading from Money 2006 to Money Plus? RRS feed

• Question

• I have used Money 2006 for many years and chose to not 'upgrade' to Plus as I am of the opinion that if it ain't broke don't fix it - and I don't trust the Microsoft skillset in providing upgrades.  Recently I had a hard drive problem and had to reinstall 2006 which I had done a number of time before from the Install disk.  This time I received an error message that a file was missing and I installed the Plus version.  After I did this I was able to reinstall Money 2006.  I only used the sample.mny with the plus version.  For two months Ithis worked fine - my old files were from the Money 2006 vintage and I was able to get the program running from the .mny files.  However I just tried to use msquotes.exe to update the pricing and I get an error message that I can't use it with my old data files if there is a newer version of the Money program installed on the computer.  I even used the -f parameter but the update program would only look for the sample.mny file that was used with the Plus version.  I have emailed Dan Gaier for his take on this.

The easiest solution would be to just let the Plus version 'convert' the data files but I am just leery with putting myself at the mercy of Microsoft.  Is there any reported issues with converting?  Is Plus just as good as Money 2006? I would appreciate any comments on the outcome of converting files to Plus. 

Another possibility would be to uninstall the Plus software and see if that would allow Msquotes to work, but I saw a warning that this could cause my Money 2006 to not work and not be able to be reinstalled.

Any and all comments will be appreciated.

Marty

Wednesday, August 8, 2018 3:27 AM

All replies

• I know of no significant advantage to M06 vs Plus. Plus has advantage over M06 including the ability to back up to a flash drive with more than 2 GB of free space, and fixed Spinoff operation.

I don't know if M06 has the handles quirk: https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/239612f6-1da6-4c1b-94b3-2ae92414771c/handles-count-in-windows-task-manager?forum=money

Also, Plus needs the patch that is described in what is currently the first post in this forum. I don't know if M06 should have such a patch or not.

Wednesday, August 8, 2018 3:44 AM
  • I bit the bullet and converted one of my files.  After I saved it and tried to reopen, the Plus program asked for a password which didn't exist.  I tried to run the Money 2006 but now it wouldn't open saying that I was missing some files.  I removed the Plus edition and reinstalled Money 2006 but I'm still getting an error message.  I had both versions running before but now I can't get either.  I guess that I can reinstall Plus but that appears to lead to a dead end.  I have Money 2006 running on another computer - would that help to move some files over?
    Thursday, August 16, 2018 3:57 AM
  • I believe that I have succeeded.  I uninstalled Money 2006 and reinstalled Plus.  To get around the password problem I opened Password Manager and entered a password - you had choices to use Live ID or just a password (no choice for no password).  I closed PW manager out and then reopened it.  Now I was given a choice to enter my password and either change it or remove it.  You have to enter the PW that you just selected and then choose to remove.

One thing I learned is that going to the Plus edition is a one way street.  It's a very curvy street but there's no way back to the original version of Money that you were using.

Thursday, August 16, 2018 5:18 AM