locked
Error using the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Configuration Wizard for Outlook RRS feed

  • Question

  •  

    Recently Microsoft Dynmaics CRM was installed in our organization by an external consultancy. Currently I am in the process of configuring this for Outlook 2003 and 2007. The SetupClient.exe installs successfully on my standard corporate build test machine along with all the software dependencies. However when I run the configuration wizard after installation it seems to get stuck at the same screen - "Connect to Microsoft Dynamics CRM". Currently the error message is saying "Server was unable to process request" however precedently I had another server related error message.

     

    Does anyone have a clue as to why this happening?

     

    I am logged on as an administrator and have no problem accessing CRM via the company intranet so that would indicate I have connectivity and correct login rights.

     

    Any help would be appreciated

     

    Regards,

    Ian Ellis

    Thursday, December 11, 2008 4:57 PM

Answers

  • Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

     

    We have now actually resolved this issue ourselves by running an SQL Script on the Server Instance.

    Monday, December 15, 2008 10:50 AM

All replies

  • Thursday, December 11, 2008 7:45 PM
  • I am having the same problem when configuring the Oulook client and the above kb article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950247) doesn't help me. I am the same user that installed, am local administrator, and have rights on the SQL server.

     

    Thursday, December 11, 2008 9:46 PM
  • Yes, I agree that this kb entry does not apply to this scenario.

     

    Friday, December 12, 2008 12:09 PM
  • "Server was unable to process request" is a generic error being returned from CRM.  I would suggest turning on tracing on the server, attempt to connect through the outlook client, and see what error you are getting.

    Here is a link to a tool to make turning on/off tracing easier here
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 1:17 PM
    Moderator
  • Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

     

    We have now actually resolved this issue ourselves by running an SQL Script on the Server Instance.

    Monday, December 15, 2008 10:50 AM
  •  

    looking in the logs created I see basically everywhere Organization or User the ID is all zeros. for example

     "Organization: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000"

     

    I am assuming these are not supposed to be null? What would be causing this?

    Monday, December 15, 2008 5:22 PM
  • That doesn't necessarily mean there is an error.  In your log, do you have any line items that specifically have an exception with a call stack and what not?  If your log files are very large you can download a great tool made by Michael Höhne to make viewing a lot easier.  Here's a link to his blog describing the trace viewer: http://stunnware.com/crm2/topic.aspx?id=Framework9
    Monday, December 15, 2008 5:43 PM
    Moderator
  • Thanks for the link to the trace viewer. It did make the task a lot easier just as you said. Here is the one error I found. I am hoping somebody can give me a clue to figure out what it means.

     

    [2008-12-15 11:00:35.4] Process: w3wp |Organization:00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 |Thread: 12 |Category: Platform.Sdk |User: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 |Level: Error | CompositeSoapExtensionExceptionHandler.Handle

    at CompositeSoapExtensionExceptionHandler.Handle(Stream to, Stream from, Exception exception)

    at DiscoveryServiceSoapExtension.ProcessMessage(SoapMessage message)

    at SoapMessage.RunExtensions(SoapExtension[] extensions, Boolean throwOnException)

    at SoapServerProtocol.WriteException(Exception e, Stream outputStream)

    at WebServiceHandler.WriteException(Exception e)

    at WebServiceHandler.Invoke()

    at WebServiceHandler.CoreProcessRequest()

    at SyncSessionlessHandler.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)

    at CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()

    at HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

    at ApplicationStepManager.ResumeSteps(Exception error)

    at HttpApplication.System.Web.IHttpAsyncHandler.BeginProcessRequest(HttpContext context, AsyncCallback cb, Object extraData)

    at HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr)

    at HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNoDemand(HttpWorkerRequest wr)

    at ISAPIRuntime.ProcessRequest(IntPtr ecb, Int32 iWRType)

    >CrmSoapExtension detected non-CrmException - report will be sent to Watson:

    System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> System.UriFormatException: Invalid URI: The format of the URI could not be determined.

    at System.Uri.CreateThis(String uri, Boolean dontEscape, UriKind uriKind)

    at Microsoft.Crm.WebServices.OrganizationEndpointProviderFactory.AbstractOrganizationEndpointProvider.GetSdkBaseUrl(Guid organizationId)

    at Microsoft.Crm.WebServices.OrganizationEndpointProviderFactory.OrganizationEndpointProviderBase.GetCrmServiceUrl(Guid organizationId)

    at Microsoft.Crm.Sdk.Crm2007.CrmDiscoveryServiceAD.DiscoveryServiceProviderAD.CreateEndpoint(Guid organizationId, Int32 authenticationType)

    at Microsoft.Crm.Sdk.Crm2007.CrmDiscoveryServiceAD.DiscoveryServiceProviderAD.CreateExtendedDetail(Guid organizationId)

    at Microsoft.Crm.Sdk.Crm2007.CrmDiscoveryServiceAD.DiscoveryServiceProviderAD.RetrieveOrganizationExtendedDetails(ICrmIdentity identity)

    at Microsoft.Crm.Sdk.Crm2007.RetrieveOrganizationExtendedDetailsRequest.Process(IDiscoveryServiceProvider serviceProvider)

    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

    Monday, December 15, 2008 7:53 PM
  • I ran the IFD config tool (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948779) and this corrected the problem.
    Monday, December 15, 2008 9:31 PM