Confusion around product keys RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Fujitso-Siemens Home Server with the 1st version of WHS. It has worked OK over the years but now I need to upgrade to WHS 2011 to be able to back-up my Mac computers. I followed a process where I took a brand new HDD and mounted it in a spare PC and from there started the installation up until first reboot. Then I turned everything off, dismounted the HDD and mounted it in my Scaleo Home server. Booted it and waited for 10 minutes. Then I was able to access the server through a Web-interface from my laptop! Now I continued the installation up until I had to enter the product key. Then I get the message "invalid" product key. I know it is a genuine, as I have checked with Microsoft and they have confirmed it. After that I did a full installation of the WHS 2011 on the spare computer, and doing it this way, my product key was accepted, but then I couldn't transfer the HDD back to the server. My question is how I can work around this annoying problem. Any help is much appreciated.
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 1:55 PM

All replies

• First, f you are using Mac OS/X 10.7 (Lion), you won't be able to use Time Machine to back up to your server. Apple changed the protocols being used, and non-AFP targets are no longer available for Time Machine. So don't switch on that account if you're happy with V1 otherwise.

As for product keys, we really can't help you. If your product key is rejected when you enter it, only Microsoft can solve the issue for you. You could try telephone activation; Microsoft should be able to walk you through the process.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 3:38 PM