WHS 2011 BackupReader.sys ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I recently installed WHS 2011 and from an installation and backup perspective everything looks like it is doing what it is supposed to.

However, when I go bring up one of the nightly backups so that I can review individual files, it gets about 18% of the way and then it complains about a driver not being loaded.

When you track it down in the Device Manager, it is  the Windows Server Solutions Computer Restore Driver. It indicates that Windows cannot initialize the  device driver for this software. So I go to request update and it tells me I have the latest best updated driver. The driver in question is BackupReader.sys

I had installed the WHS2011 connector on 3 client machines. Two have the same Asus mother board  and windows 7 64 bit professional. The other was a Dell laptop which also runs windows 7 64 bit professional. Only the Dell doesnt have a problem with the installation.

On the other two machines I have installed and uninstalled, booted and rebooted several times to get driver to be recognized and it has not been successful

So I have them backed up successfully every night, but no ability to go into to view individual files on two of the machines backups.

Can anyone provide a solution to this?

Is this something that should be raised as a bug in Microsoft Connect ?

Thanks

• Moved by kariya21Moderator Sunday, April 24, 2011 7:08 PM not a WHS v1 question (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 6:34 PM

All replies

• Using WHS2011 RTM I am seeing a similar thing with two of my client systems both Windows 7 64bit.

I run a backup and it gets to around 25%, then the client spontaniously reboots and the backup fails.

Looking in Device Manager I see "Windows Server Solutions Computer Restore Driver" shows an error:

"Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware (Code 37)"

The driver file is "C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\BackupReader.sys"

Each system is very different one Asus i7 the other Core2 Duo Sony Vaio Laptop

My other system Windows 7 32bit does not have an issue

Friday, April 15, 2011 3:54 PM
  • When you track it down in the Device Manager, it is  the Windows Server Solutions Computer Restore Driver. It indicates that Windows cannot initialize the  device driver for this software. So I go to request update and it tells me I have the latest best updated driver. The driver in question is BackupReader.sys 

Hi,

Could you check on the version of BackupReader.sys? (Its in C:\Windows\System32\drivers)
    It should read "File/Product version 6.1.8800.16384"?

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Saturday, April 16, 2011 8:13 PM
  • That is the version number I see on all my systems.
    As a test I've connected a new hard drive and tried a fresh install of Win7x64Sp1 and connected it to my WHS and it works.
    So I could go with a complete reinstall of both my systems but that is a real pain.
    Anyway I will begin reinstalling my programs etc and see if something breaks it.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 7:28 PM
  • Must be something with the DELL machines configuration (disks, disk drivers?)
    Maybe check if there is some (hidden) FAT32/other restore partition on the disk? WHS backup only supports NTFS.

(If all fails, please reports this on Connect?)
    - Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 9:31 PM
  • Actually, its turning out that it is one machine only. Windows 67 64 Bit. It is NTFS.

Another machine running Win 2008 R2 does allow review of individual files and folder.

Thanks Theo and PaulyPaul. So far nothing correcting it.

I had thought about reinstalling windows- but that is hugely extreme. The machine in question is my main machine.

I actually can review the files for this computer in question on the other two computers access to WHS2011.

I may have to enter something on Microsoft Connect

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 9:43 PM