Front-End won't start... RRS feed

• Question

• After installing OCS on a server called ocs.mydomain.com I got this error in the system log when trying to start the services.

The Office Communications Server Front-End service terminated with service-specific error 3286842439 (0xC3E93C47).

I looked in the Office Communications Server log and I got 4 errors:

The server configuration validation mechanism detected some serious problems.

2 errors and 0 warnings were detected.

ERRORS:
    Two server roles at FQDN [live.mydomain.com] have different 'Treat As Authenticated' options. First server has GUID {768EE319-5F3A-4BC5-8556-1D972FAFA07B} and role 'Conferencing Server' (option is set). Second server has GUID {3143A455-BA77-59CF-AF0F-23463085D6EE} and role 'Edge Server' (option is not set).
    Two server roles at FQDN [live.mydomain.com] have different server version numbers. First server has GUID {768EE319-5F3A-4BC5-8556-1D972FAFA07B} and role 'Conferencing Server' (version 3). Second server has GUID {3143A455-BA77-59CF-AF0F-23463085D6EE} and role 'Edge Server' (version 0).
     ---

One or more configuration errors were detected at startup that cannot be mitigated.

---

Unable to start the stack.

Error: 0x0xC3E93C47 (SIPPROXY_E_BAD_SERVER_CONFIGURATION).

---

Failed starting the protocol stack. The service has to stop

Error code is:0xC3E93C47 (SIPPROXY_E_BAD_SERVER_CONFIGURATION).

---

The first error was very strange to me until I asked my co-workers about "live.mydomain.com" that is shown in the first error.  It turns out that someone installed OCS, couldn't get it working, then formated the computer.  So, it looks like there are still some remains of the old server.  I have looked around in ADSIEdit but didn't find anything I could delete.  Does anyone know how to get rid of this old server?  I can also see the old server in the OCS snap-in under "Standard Edition Servers"  Is there some way to get rid of it there?  TIA.

Friday, July 25, 2008 2:38 AM

Answers

• Long story short.  I downloaded the commandline reference and tried to delete it with all kinds of switches.  Nothing worked.  It kept complaining about not being able to delete the pool.  So, ADSIEdit to the rescue.  All I did was delete it manually from:

CN=Pools,CN=RTC Service,CN=Microsoft,CN=System,DC=mydomain,DC=com

Then I used Sites and Services to force replication and made sure it went through with ADSIEdit again.  It did!  So, I tried to re-install and all is well.  Services started right up Smile
    Monday, July 28, 2008 5:38 PM

All replies

• I think you have entered some wrong information in Edge servers, host authorization and Routing tab on the OCS server after installation.

Forest ->Global Properties-> Edge Servers -> Access Edge and Web Conferencing Edge
    Servers and A/V Edge servers

Check above and ensure that you dont have front end server itself set there. These tabs should have proper entry or leave them blank and try to restart the OCS services.

Regards,
    R. Kinker
    MCSE 2003 (Messaging), MCTS - LCS 2005, MCTS - OCS 2007
    http://www.ocspedia.com
    http://www.itcentrics.com/LCS_Home.htm

Friday, July 25, 2008 5:34 AM
  • Yeah, I caught these already and switched it to the name of the server that actually exists.  Still looking for a way to completely remove the old one that doesn't exist.
    Friday, July 25, 2008 11:07 AM
  • Long story short.  I downloaded the commandline reference and tried to delete it with all kinds of switches.  Nothing worked.  It kept complaining about not being able to delete the pool.  So, ADSIEdit to the rescue.  All I did was delete it manually from:

CN=Pools,CN=RTC Service,CN=Microsoft,CN=System,DC=mydomain,DC=com

Then I used Sites and Services to force replication and made sure it went through with ADSIEdit again.  It did!  So, I tried to re-install and all is well.  Services started right up Smile
    Monday, July 28, 2008 5:38 PM