Cannot install any software in WHS recently RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I am using the french WHS for quite a long time now without any trouble until now. Today I tried to install a more recent version of a software (squeezecenter by the way) and after having uninstalled the previous version. I tried to install the latest version. I receive a message in french which told me that I have not the right to do so. I tried
    - via the remote desktop via the administrative account
    - I logged directly as the administrator on the WHS pc

So just to be sure I tried to update another piece of software just released (Total Commander) and got the same message.
    I am absolutely sure that I have the right to do so as I logged as the administrator with the proper password.

What I am doing wrong. I have used this procedure so many time in the past without any trouble.
    I have checked the Event log and the only warning (beside the well know printer problems) is the following message in application log :
    VDS Basic Provider 1.0 not found

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Best regards from France

Sunday, September 13, 2009 5:08 PM

All replies

• This is a shot in the dark but I had a somewhat similar problem (on my Acer WHS system) after a "server restore".I was trying to load an Add in program (ie "Grid Junction") into the WHS/Software/Add ins folder.  System stated I didn't have permission/file was locked etc.. Know that I was able to load the program before the "server restore". 

Just on a thought I temporarily enabled the "guest account" on the WHS. Voila the program loaded and is running fine.

Don't know if it relates but you might check it out.

Paul
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 6:56 PM
  • Hello,
    I am using the french WHS for quite a long time now without any trouble until now. Today I tried to install a more recent version of a software (squeezecenter by the way) and after having uninstalled the previous version. I tried to install the latest version. I receive a message in french which told me that I have not the right to do so. I tried
    - via the remote desktop via the administrative account
    - I logged directly as the administrator on the WHS pc

So just to be sure I tried to update another piece of software just released (Total Commander) and got the same message.
    I am absolutely sure that I have the right to do so as I logged as the administrator with the proper password.

What I am doing wrong. I have used this procedure so many time in the past without any trouble.
    I have checked the Event log and the only warning (beside the well know printer problems) is the following message in application log :
    VDS Basic Provider 1.0 not found

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Best regards from France

Did you try copying the file to the server desktop, then installing it from there?
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 7:27 PM
  • Thanks for the answer, unfortunately it doesn't help so I have decided to reinstall the server. I have read the faq and if I understand it correctly I should not loose my data as long as I have a reinstall option and I had. So wish me luck as I am currently re installing WHS. I am just wondering as it is written that before adding client again you should do all the updates via the console. What does it mean ? you log on the server machine as the administrator and you do the updates after having started the console or you should try to do it from another machine ?

Jean Claude
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 7:30 PM
  • >>Did you try copying the file to the server desktop, then installing it from there?

Yes as usual when I have an update to do of course.
    As I just wrote I am currently reinstalling WHS crossing my fingers that I will not loose data's...

Jean Claude
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 7:34 PM
  • Thanks for the answer, unfortunately it doesn't help so I have decided to reinstall the server. I have read the faq and if I understand it correctly I should not loose my data as long as I have a reinstall option and I had. So wish me luck as I am currently re installing WHS. I am just wondering as it is written that before adding client again you should do all the updates via the console. What does it mean ? you log on the server machine as the administrator and you do the updates after having started the console or you should try to do it from another machine ?

Jean Claude

The supported method would be to do it from a client (which would then mean you would have to unistall the Connector software from your client because the versions between server and client wouldn't match).  Having said that, if it was me, I would just run the Console from the icon on the server desktop and keep updating until there were none left.  :)
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 7:38 PM

• The supported method would be to do it from a client (which would then mean you would have to unistall the Connector software from your client because the versions between server and client wouldn't match).  Having said that, if it was me, I would just run the Console from the icon on the server desktop and keep updating until there were none left.  :)

Thanks I will do from the server desktop. I still cross my fingers about data's . I understand that it will take time until I will get the hand on WHS....

Jean Claude
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 7:43 PM
  • WHS seems to be installed now and the green dot is at the end of the installation. Nothing changed for the past 30 minutes or so. I can see a lot of disks activities. Does it mean that WHS is looking for the datas ?
    I three one Tb hard disks and I know that I have around 1,2 Tb of data. How long will it take ?

JC 
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 8:05 PM
  • WHS seems to be installed now and the green dot is at the end of the installation. Nothing changed for the past 30 minutes or so. I can see a lot of disks activities. Does it mean that WHS is looking for the datas ?

The last step (which is where you are now) is to rebuild the tombstones for all of the files on your server.

I three one Tb hard disks and I know that I have around 1,2 Tb of data. How long will it take ?

JC 
    It can take quite a while, depending on how many files you have.  Some people have had it take 24 hours or more.  Best thing to do now is be patient and let it finish.  You'll know it's done when you get the Welcome screen.
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 10:49 PM
  • Well, it took another 5 hours with the "finishing installation screen to be able to get the hand. Around 80 updates to download and install. But now everything is working again and all my data still there. So I still don't know why I was suddenly not able to install software anymore !

I like very much WHS but frankly all night to get things back is a bit long... I would REALLY like to know a way to backup my system  ...

Any clue ?

Anyway thank you for people having taken the time to answer

Monday, September 14, 2009 2:08 PM
  • Well, it took another 5 hours with the "finishing installation screen to be able to get the hand. Around 80 updates to download and install. But now everything is working again and all my data still there. So I still don't know why I was suddenly not able to install software anymore !

I like very much WHS but frankly all night to get things back is a bit long... I would REALLY like to know a way to backup my system  ...

Any clue ?

There is no reliable way to backup your primary drive.

Anyway thank you for people having taken the time to answer

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 3:29 AM