Motherboard replacement BIOS settings? RRS feed

• Question

• I have just replaced my WHS V1 MOBO. I replaced it with a refurbished board of the same model. I have a couple questions. In the BIOS I have several options on how to control "Wake up" from the onboard network interface. What is best choice for WHS? I chose Magic Packet but there are several choices. Is Magic Packet the correct choice? Or does it matter? Also should I update the BIOS to match the bad board? I'm not sure what BIOS version it had, but probably had updated it at some point. Should I run the driver disk for the MOBO that installs the MOBO drivers? Chipset, graphics and other drivers on the MOBO driver disk.
    Monday, August 8, 2011 8:28 PM

All replies

• Since WHS is basically an "always on" model, the utility of WakeOnLan for a WHS machine seems about zero so your choice here is probably moot.

If, howver, you intend to sleep the thing and want to wake-on-lan, what tool would you use to wake it? My bet is one that sends a magic packet.

I would update the board to whatever the current BIOS for it is. That should only make WHS work better. You will probably need board specific drivers and those have to come from somewhere. For V1 they need to be compatible with WinServ2003R2. Practially speaking, most XPSP2 drivers will work *if* they do not check to prevent installation on the "wrong" OS. But see how far you get and how many devices end up yellow ! in device manager. Depending on the vintage of the mobo, lots of drivers for it may be stock or close enough in the MS install.

Monday, August 8, 2011 9:13 PM
  • If you use an add-in which requires Wake On LAN support on your server, then that add-in will tell you how to set your BIOS for best functionality. Otherwise, it doesn't matter how it's set, because your server is never in "sleep" mode.

You will probably need to install some drivers. Which ones I can't tell you, I'm afraid. I can tell you that you'll need to supply any storage drivers on a floppy disk (possibly you'll be able to use a USB floppy drive, if it's truly "driverless", but you almost certainly won't be able to use a flash drive), and be quick at the "Press F6" prompt.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, August 8, 2011 9:15 PM