none
Big XP Problem! RRS feed

• Question

• I am writing this on behalf of a friend.

She ran WGA and was told on the phone her version of XP was counterfeit and the computer set to 28 days to activate. She has done nothing and now she cannot log in to her computer.

What can she do? She needs her computer badly for home purposes and cannot access any data or anything. If we purchase a legit copy will it have to be Windows 7? If so, can we install this and not back up any data etc? If we do have to back-up the data, how do we do this when we cannot access the data at the moment because the activation period has expired?

I am really keen to help my friend and do not have a clue what to do!!  Please help in any way you can.

Many thanks

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 10:38 PM

Answers

• Hello taylorbusfan,

If the computer can be started to a safe mode command prompt, run this to re-arm XP activation:

rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk

The command must be typed exacly as above with space, caps, and comma.

Restart and you should be able to logon normally.

If so, then follow these instructions:

In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Run" several times to download and start the Utility.  When asked, click the "Continue" button.  When the utility completes its run, click the "Copy" button, then come back here and paste the report into your post.

Also, please look on the computer for a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA).  If there is a CoA, please tell us what version and edition of Windows is listed on the CoA, and if there is a manufacturer's name or "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" printed on the CoA.  Do not post the product key printed on the CoA.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    • Proposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, October 25, 2010 10:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, October 25, 2010 10:45 PM
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 11:08 PM