My laptop Product key not accepted RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have an IBM laptop and it came with a Backup partition, the backup data was corrupted so I deleted the partition to free up disk space.

Later, I wipe out the hard drive and look to reinstall Windows without a restore disk. The Windows version is XP Pro.

So I borrow a "Windows XP Pro SP2 disk" from my school's MSDNAA, however the Product key I found on the COA at the bottom of the laptop is not accepted (Not valid) by the setup program.

I wonder if the Product key on the COA is usable, and if it is useable why my Product key is not accepted?
    Saturday, October 28, 2006 3:49 AM

Answers

• Laputa,

A genuine MS OEM (systembuilder) hologram XP Pro SP2 CDROM should accept the PK on your COA for installation, assuming that the COA is for XP Pro.  If it is for XP Home, you need an XP Home OEM CD.

When it comes time to activate, choose Telephone Activation.  You may initially be rejected by the automated telephone system; if so, choose the option to speak with a live activation rep.  They will ask questions to determine if you are using the OEM license for XP in accordance with the End User Licensing Agreement.  According to what you posted you are in compliance, so they should issue you an Activation code number.

Let us know how you do.

Saturday, October 28, 2006 9:03 PM

All replies

• Contact IBM support for assistance.  The IBM issued Product key is only valid with IBM's recommended restore method.
    Saturday, October 28, 2006 5:04 AM
  • Are you kidding me?  How can IBM have the power to make a Microsoft install program to accept their private key?
    Saturday, October 28, 2006 7:04 PM
  • The Product Key affixed to your IBM computer is for an "OEM Version" of Windows XP.  It will only work with an "OEM" Windows XP CD. The "Windows XP Pro SP2 disk" you borrowed from your school's MSDNAA is not an OEM CD.
    Saturday, October 28, 2006 8:45 PM
  • Does any OEM CD work? or it must be exactly the one from IBM?
    Saturday, October 28, 2006 8:52 PM
  • Laputa,

A genuine MS OEM (systembuilder) hologram XP Pro SP2 CDROM should accept the PK on your COA for installation, assuming that the COA is for XP Pro.  If it is for XP Home, you need an XP Home OEM CD.

When it comes time to activate, choose Telephone Activation.  You may initially be rejected by the automated telephone system; if so, choose the option to speak with a live activation rep.  They will ask questions to determine if you are using the OEM license for XP in accordance with the End User Licensing Agreement.  According to what you posted you are in compliance, so they should issue you an Activation code number.

Let us know how you do.

Saturday, October 28, 2006 9:03 PM
  •  Dan at IT Associates wrote:

Let us know how you do.

I understand it now, the CD I borrow from my school is not OEM so the key is not accepted.  I was lucky to have 2 licences of XP to use, so the problem ended up easy:

- 1 from my school MSNDAA program (i think it's a retail version)

- and the OEM license from the laptop

This is what I do:

- Use the retail key to install my school's XP Pro into my laptop then activate it.

- Use the "Windows key update tool" to change the key to OEM, then it requires me to reactivate by phone and the rep gave me an activation code.

So I think I still have the license for XP retail for later use, right? I want to use it to upgrade an old computer later.

Hopefully the "Windows key update tools" did not phone back to Microsoft and tell it to disable the license for the retail version that I rightfully had.

Saturday, October 28, 2006 9:47 PM
  • Laputa,

How and under what circumstances your MSNDAA license can be moved from one computer to another may be subject to specific restrictions as agreed to between the school and MS, but, as a general rule, these licenses function much like full retail licenses and can be moved, so you "should" be OK when it comes time to put the MSNDAA license onto that older computer you mentioned.

You'll probably need to do a telephone activation of it when the time comes, since right now it's still "hooked up" with the IBM laptop, even though the original OEM license is hooked up with the laptop, too.  Activation are pulled to the next machine; IOW, they only move when they are activated on the next machine; they don't get pushed off and deactivated when another license is activated on the same machine.

Glad it all worked out!  Good luck.

Saturday, October 28, 2006 10:01 PM