Two (2) tray icons RRS feed

• Question

• After uninstalling and reinstalling the connector software on one of my PCs (I set up a second WHS server on my network) , two tray icons now show up for WHS. Right clicking on each shows one correctly brings up the expected WHS menu. The other brings up the "Open Windows Security Center" menu. It appears that the WHS tray icon has replaced the Security Center icon   in the notification area. The   icon no longer appears as it should since I have User Account Control turned off. 

Monday, March 31, 2008 12:08 PM

All replies

•  

On my XP machine at home, the same thing happens. The WHS connector software's tray icon takes over a couple other application's tray icons, so I end up with 3 tray Icons for WHS.

...Didn't report it yet

Monday, March 31, 2008 3:07 PM
  • Windows caches icons, and occasionally that cache becomes corrupt and you see files/programs with strange icons. It's not a WHS issue; it just so happens that the WHS tray application was involved.
    Monday, March 31, 2008 5:10 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Windows caches icons, and occasionally that cache becomes corrupt and you see files/programs with strange icons. It's not a WHS issue; it just so happens that the WHS tray application was involved.

That might be true, but there seems to be something more going on here because I've had the same problem with the WHS connector icon with some frequency, but the WHS icon is the only one that is getting duplicated so it doesn't appear to be a random event unrelated to WHS. If it were, then I'd either be seeing other icons being duplicated and/or problem would have appeared prior to installing the WHS connector software.

Maybe we can gather some informatoin here to see if we can find some common factors.

I'm not sure, but I believe the WHS icons replaced the one I had for WinZip. I also believe the duplicate WHS icon was located next to the actual WHS icon, as if the "next" item in the systray had its icon replaced with the WHS icon.

Monday, March 31, 2008 9:51 PM
  • Yup, my experience has been the same, Darkon.
    Seems that the duplicate "bogus" icon is immediately to the right of the correct WHS icon.
    I right click on the bogus icon and Exited the application -- in this case Windows Security Center.
    Turned on UAC -- rebooted and  the icon dup  disappeared.
    Turned off UAC -- rebooted and the dup icon is still  gone.
    So, I'm left with the correct icon and can't seem to  recreate the issue.
    I run Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1.
    I've only seen this duplicate situation with the WHS ico - never with any other icon so I do think it's related to WGS -- not random.
    Monday, March 31, 2008 10:05 PM
  • I have the same problem as well running Vista Ultimate. It is only the WHS icon that is every duplicated.

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 10:37 PM