Dell PowerEdge T620 with Server 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello
    I am in need of some help please
    My mates just got this equipment for his office and asked me to set it up for him. problem I am having is trying to get it to supply DHCP address to the rest of the network computers?
    It has two Ethernet ports.
    1st is plugged into the Virgin Media Modem where it has a static IP address
    2nd is plugged into a switch where all the other computers come back to.

I can get on the internet from the server, and I can access the server from outside using the Static IP address so that part is all OK
    But, No body else can get on the internet.
    I want the server to act as a router and supply DHCp IP address to the rest of the net work

When we had a 2003 Server, it was easy, it asked which internet connection connected to the WAN and to put in the IP address, then it asked if the other was for the LAN and everything just worked, but, this one now has stumped me.

I have tried going into the routing and remote access, and I can see the Local Area Network Connection 2 which is the one I want it to serve out the DHCp's, but, I can not get the thing to do as I am asking?

Can somebody please give my an Idiots guid, and I mean really simple explanation of how to set this up please?

Cheers
    Paul
    Sunday, September 30, 2012 8:11 AM

Answers

• Windows Home Server is not designed to function as a router. You should configure your network so that you have a dedicated router connected to your modem, then devices on your LAN (including your server) connected to that.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by James Xiong Thursday, October 4, 2012 6:52 AM
    Sunday, September 30, 2012 12:03 PM
  • Thankyou Ken for clearing that up.

I have done what you have said and it all works now.

Regards

Paul

Monday, October 1, 2012 10:28 AM

All replies

• Windows Home Server is not designed to function as a router. You should configure your network so that you have a dedicated router connected to your modem, then devices on your LAN (including your server) connected to that.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Sunday, September 30, 2012 12:03 PM
  • Thankyou Ken for clearing that up.

I have done what you have said and it all works now.

Regards

Paul

Monday, October 1, 2012 10:28 AM