none
Can't sign into TechNet forum using FireFox - too many log in attempts RRS feed

• General discussion

• When I attempt to sign in to these forums using FireFox as my browser I get the following error message. This has been going on for at least a week.

I am currently signed in using Chrome but my bookmarks are in FF and I rely on it for my regular use. If I immediately try to log in using Chrome there is no problem.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 12:11 PM

All replies

• This is a known problem that has been affecting users for several days.

Some people (like me) report success using Edge on Windows 10, especially if they sign into the computer with a Microsoft account. Some people are convinced the problem is corrupt Microsoft account credentials in the user profile on the pc. The fix would be to close all Microsoft apps (including Skype, OneDrive, etc), then remove all Microsoft credentials in Control Panel\User Accounts\Credential Manager, then clear browser cache and reboot.

Unfortunately, we will continue to rely on workarounds until the forum admins figure out what they did and correct it.

I should note that for some reason I have not had problems using FireFox on my Windows 7 computer. Since I have not allowed updates since this started, maybe I missed a bad update that broke TechNet/MSDN signin. Or perhaps Windows 7 saves credentials differently (and I don't allow IE or FireFox to remember my password).

Edit: But this question should be moved to the Forums Issues forum.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 12:57 PM
  • Sandra Aldana, forums Program Manager @Microsoft, reports (in Facebook, TechNetWikiNinja group) that they are working on the issue, and will announce what they know, suggest workarounds, estimate time to fix, etc.

Edit: Announcement:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/206824a4-2faa-490d-9283-778d49a3b411/sign-on-issues-with-forums-sites?forum=reportabug

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 6:23 PM
  • Thank you for the response. If a moderator can move this to the Forums Issues forum, that would be great.

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 8:05 PM
  • Thank you for the response. If a moderator can move this to the Forums Issues forum, that would be great.

I will help to move the thread to Forum issues category. Thanks for your understanding. 

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 1:57 AM
  • Sandra Aldana, forums Program Manager @Microsoft, reports (in Facebook, TechNetWikiNinja group) that they are working on the issue, and will announce what they know, suggest workarounds, estimate time to fix, etc.

Edit: Announcement:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/206824a4-2faa-490d-9283-778d49a3b411/sign-on-issues-with-forums-sites?forum=reportabug

Thank you. For now using the private browser login solution is working for me. Not ideal but it works.

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 2:00 PM
  • Still using the private browser option.

Sunday, May 13, 2018 2:36 PM
  • They thought issue was fixed but now know that it wasn't so its been passed back to engineering.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Sunday, May 13, 2018 2:41 PM
  • This user just was able to sign into the forums after 2 weeks:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cc6ba7a2-3c9c-425b-a922-f0724c48ed4c/so-i-was-locked-from-forum-for-two-weeks?forum=suggest

No announcement yet, but can anyone else confirm?

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 11:49 AM
  • I sent them cookies yesterday, they're still looking into it.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 12:35 PM
  • Too funny, they just sent me an email saying they just applied a hotfix to fix logon issues. I've asked them to post an update here.

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 1:58 PM
  • As of now, it is working again!

Sunday, May 20, 2018 3:55 AM