i have a computer without a cd drive, or access to one, and need to reinstall windows xp home. RRS feed

• Question

• i have a umpc that came with windows xp home and became infected necessitating a reintall but since i have no cd drive i cannot use that method; is there another way to do so?
    Monday, July 21, 2008 11:28 PM

Answers

• You can obtain expert Windows XP assistance by posting your Windows XP related question in the Windows XP newsgroup: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support

Monday, July 21, 2008 11:31 PM
  • Squirrelfire,

Check at the support pages for you make and model of UMPC.  No doubt you are not the only one who has had this requirement, so see what others have done.

My guess is that it will turn out you have a hidden recovery partition on your hard disk drive.  Or you may have to use an external CD drive that connects via USB.  A clumsier method that I hope you don't have to resort to would be to prepare a bootable network flash drive that has your UMPC's NIC drivers on it, then connect over the network to a share that contains the contents of the XP installation CD.

Monday, July 21, 2008 11:38 PM

All replies

• You can obtain expert Windows XP assistance by posting your Windows XP related question in the Windows XP newsgroup: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support

Monday, July 21, 2008 11:31 PM
  • Squirrelfire,

Check at the support pages for you make and model of UMPC.  No doubt you are not the only one who has had this requirement, so see what others have done.

My guess is that it will turn out you have a hidden recovery partition on your hard disk drive.  Or you may have to use an external CD drive that connects via USB.  A clumsier method that I hope you don't have to resort to would be to prepare a bootable network flash drive that has your UMPC's NIC drivers on it, then connect over the network to a share that contains the contents of the XP installation CD.

Monday, July 21, 2008 11:38 PM