onecare uninstall RRS feed

• Question

• I recently installed onecare on a brand new desktop but now I'm taking it (desktop) back to get something better. how do I uninstall?

Monday, June 2, 2008 1:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• See this post:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=663806&SiteID=2

Additionally, if you have another PC using OneCare with the same subscription, you can remove this PC frm the subscription by making the other PC a hub and then going to Manage Your OneCare Circle on that other PC, selecting details for this PC and "remove this PC..."

-steve

Monday, June 2, 2008 1:09 PM
  • OneCare is NOT in the list of installed programs, so you can't "uninstall" it.

The system in question was literally on its knees (despite a fast processor a 1GB of RAM).  I disabled all OneCare functions (via msconfig) and system speed returned to normal.  Obviously the problem is with OneCare.

But how to remove it?  I've found the Windows Live Onecare Cleanup Tool, ran it, and it did nothing.  So I went back out, found version 1.1, ran it ... and apparently the OneCare junk is removed.  However my Windows Firewall can't be turned back on in the Control Panel, so something's still screwed up.  Thanks a lot, Live Onecare ... what a POS.

I'm a tech in a computer repair shop.  I'll definitely be telling this customer to get his subscription money back from Microsoft.  And I'll be putting up a sign for all the other customers:  DO NOT install OneCare!  Or you'll be paying us to dig it back out again.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 3:55 PM
  • I beg to disagree - "Obviously the problem is with OneCare."

The problem may be with OneCare, but more likely it is due to a software conflict with OneCare or a failed install or uninstall of OneCare. This is especially true in that OneCare did not appear in the list of installed programs *and* the fact that, even with the cleanup utility, the firewall has not been released from the Group Policy setting invoked by OneCare at install.

To release the Group Policy setting, you can try this -

Start/Run - type "regedit" without the quotes, click OK

Delete these Registry keys if they exist:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Polici­es\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall

\DomainProfile \EnableFirewall=0 (DWORD data type)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Polici­es\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall

\StandardProfile \EnableFirewall=0 (DWORD data type)

WARNING - editing the registry could cause your PC to be unusable.

I can understand your frustration and I'm sorry you encountered the problems on this system with OneCare, no matter the root cause, but I think a single experience with a customer's PC should not be the barometer with which to judge the program. You have no idea what the customer did to contribute to or cause the problem. Instead of going to you for help with OneCare, the customer had/has access to tech support for OneCare - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If you choose to put up your warning sign, you may want to add just about every other security product to the sign as most get their hooks deep into a system. On the other hand, in the vast majority of cases, a simple uninstall via Control Panel works just fine. It is only when there's some other issue that the cleanup tools provided by the vendors need to be used.

-steve

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 4:57 PM