Cannot remotely connect to windows home server console RRS feed

• Question

• I have setup my (custom made) Windows Home Server the best that I can. While I am on my home network I can open up the console, I have also successfully setup filezilla ftp and have been able to use that locally and remotely. But through all of my efforts I still cannot get the console working remotely. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 4:17 AM

Answers

• Thats pretty retarded, I was always under the impression that it was only going through my router. 
    Obviously the request to access your website (or any other website for that matter) has to go through the remote router first.  Otherwise, how would any computer in the remote LAN ever even get on the internet?

So, then there really is no way to always guarantee accessibility depending on where you are unless you know the settings of the remote router, right?

Correct. 

Because, I mean I don't think anyone deliberately opens up any ports unless its for a specific reason (WHS, etc.).

It doesn't matter.  If another location blocks outgoing traffic on 4125 (which it is their right to do so), it won't work.  Typically businesses to do that to control what their employees can (and can't) do on the internet.

So is there anything you can do for that?

Yes.  Try from another location.  As I said before, try from a friend's house (presumably he wouldn't be blocking outgoing 4125).
    • Marked as answer by ericwish1 Saturday, August 21, 2010 5:22 PM
    Monday, August 2, 2010 4:12 AM

All replies

• I forgot to mention that I have also setup the port forwarding on my router using ftp ports 20-21, tcp 443-444 and tcp 4125-4126. Just wanted to give as much accurate information as I could.
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 5:22 AM
  • I forgot to mention that I have also setup the port forwarding on my router using ftp ports 20-21, tcp 443-444 and tcp 4125-4126. Just wanted to give as much accurate information as I could.
    What happens when you try to open the Console through the Remote Access website?  Can you logon to client PCs through the website?  (Also, all you need for port forwarding is 80, 443, and 4125.  The others don't help and only expose your server more on the internet.)
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 3:18 PM
  • Do you mean like myservername.homeserver.com (myservername obviously being my home server's name) I am not exactly sure what you are referring to. And by the way on my linksys router I have to put a start and end point for the ports I want to open, or for example can I just put the starting point at 443 and ending at 443 instead of 443 to 444? But what I am doing is just double clicking on the windows home server console icon and after entering the password (I don't remember the exact error message) I get something like "sharing is not enabled, you are not connected to the network" 
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 7:32 PM
  • Do you mean like myservername.homeserver.com (myservername obviously being my home server's name) I am not exactly sure what you are referring to.  
    Yes.  I assume that's what you meant by "remotely".

And by the way on my linksys router I have to put a start and end point for the ports I want to open, or for example can I just put the starting point at 443 and ending at 443 instead of 443 to 444?

Yep, 443 to 443 works fine.

But what I am doing is just double clicking on the windows home server console icon and after entering the password (I don't remember the exact error message) I get something like "sharing is not enabled, you are not connected to the network" 

To clarify:  Are you saying you cannot open the Console from within your LAN (i.e. a client in the same household as the server)?  If that is the case, please put the exact error message (actually put the exact error message no matter where you are trying to open it from).
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 8:29 PM
  • To clarify:  Are you saying you cannot open the Console from within your LAN (i.e. a client in the same household as the server)?  If that is the case, please put the exact error message (actually put the exact error message no matter where you are trying to open it from).

I am able to go to myservername.homeserver.com just fine whether I am on my personal network or just a wifi hotspot. To clarify I cannot open the windows home server console OR rdp into my home server outside of my personal network. I have no problem opening it up on a computer from within my personal network. As far as the errors go:

This is the error when I double click on the console icon and enter the password (and yes the home server is on and connected to the network)

"This computer cannot connect to your home server. Check you network connection and make sure your home server is powered on. If you home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes."

The error I receive when I try to rdp into the server outside of my personal network is:

"Remote Desktop can't connect to the remote computer for one of these reasons:

1) Remote access to the server is not enabled

2) The remote computer is turned off

3) The remote computer is not available on the network"

Saturday, July 17, 2010 10:26 PM
  • First, double check and make sure port 4125 is correctly forwarded. Then use a site like Shields Up! to do a port scan of port 4125.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, July 18, 2010 3:07 AM
  • First, double check and make sure port 4125 is correctly forwarded. Then use a site like Shields Up! to do a port scan of port 4125.

I couldn't exactly figure out how to use that site, specifically I couldn't figure out how to test the individual port 4125, but I just double checked and I pasted what I see in my router page and I definitely have 4125 open.

Edit: I'm not sure if you just checked this post but it turns out that when I paste the portion of the page from the router it just turns into HTML but I definitely have the TCP port 4125 enabled. 

Sunday, July 18, 2010 3:18 AM
  • I am able to go to myservername.homeserver.com just fine whether I am on my personal network or just a wifi hotspot. To clarify I cannot open the windows home server console OR rdp into my home server outside of my personal network. I have no problem opening it up on a computer from within my personal network. As far as the errors go:

This is the error when I double click on the console icon and enter the password (and yes the home server is on and connected to the network) 

I'm confused.  You say "I have no problem opening it up on a computer from within my personal network" (which implies the Console works from within your LAN), then you say "This is the error when I double click on the console icon and enter the password (and yes the home server is on and connected to the network)" (which implies the Console doesn't work from within your LAN).  Can you please clarify exactly what you're doing?

"This computer cannot connect to your home server. Check you network connection and make sure your home server is powered on. If you home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes."

The error I receive when I try to rdp into the server outside of my personal network is:

If you are trying to use Remote Desktop Connection to access your server from outside your LAN (which is what it sounds like you're trying to do), you can't (at least not without unsupported modifications and exposing additional ports on your server).  You need to use the Remote Access website to open the Console from outside your LAN.
    Sunday, July 18, 2010 4:05 AM
  • I couldn't exactly figure out how to use that site, specifically I couldn't figure out how to test the individual port 4125, but I just double checked and I pasted what I see in my router page and I definitely have 4125 open.  
    You need to do a Custom Port Scan.  First, put in the port number (in this case, 4125), then select User Specified Custom Port Probe.

Edit: I'm not sure if you just checked this post but it turns out that when I paste the portion of the page from the router it just turns into HTML but I definitely have the TCP port 4125 enabled. 

Sunday, July 18, 2010 4:07 AM
  •  You need to do a Custom Port Scan.  First, put in the port number (in this case, 4125), then select User Specified Custom Port Probe.
    Ok I tried that, it says its closed but it says its an "unknown protocol for this port and Unknown Application for this port" so I'm not sure if I am doing it right.
    Sunday, July 18, 2010 4:51 AM
  • Ok I tried another site to see if the 4125 port is open and apparently for some reason it isn't open, but all the other ports that I set to open were successfully opened. So is there any way to fix this? Even though like I said I set ports 443, 4125 and 80 to open, but again for some reason 4125 is the only one still closed.
    Sunday, July 18, 2010 5:04 AM
  • Ok I tried that, it says its closed but it says its an "unknown protocol for this port and Unknown Application for this port" so I'm not sure if I am doing it right.

This is normal for Windows Home Server.

What is your server's firewall scope setting for that port?

And another thing which has just occurred to me: How exactly are you trying to open the console remotely? Through the Remote Access web site, or through the system tray icon, the Start menu icon, or a desktop icon?

Sunday, July 18, 2010 5:16 AM
  • Ok I tried that, it says its closed but it says its an "unknown protocol for this port and Unknown Application for this port" so I'm not sure if I am doing it right.

This is normal for Windows Home Server.

What is your server's firewall scope setting for that port?

And another thing which has just occurred to me: How exactly are you trying to open the console remotely? Through the Remote Access web site, or through the system tray icon, the Start menu icon, or a desktop icon?

On Windows Firewall on the server its under RDP proxy, using TCP port 4125 and its scope is set to Any computer. I am accessing the console through the desktop icon. By the way, I had no idea you could access it through the remote website. How do you go about doing that? Because from what it looks like, you can only open up your shared folders.

Edit: Just to put this out there, I didn't think it would matter whether I am accessing the console through the system tray icon, the start menu or the desktop icon because they would all point to the same place right?

Sunday, July 18, 2010 5:26 AM
  • Within your home network you can use the desktop icon (or the other options I mentioned). They all do the same thing. From outside your network, you need to use Internet Explorer and the Remote Access web site. If you use some other browser, you won't see the Computers tab of the web site, which is where you would open the console.
    Sunday, July 18, 2010 11:43 AM
  •  On 7/17/2010 5:26 PM, chipbowl300 wrote:

To clarify:  Are you saying you cannot open the Console from within your LAN (i.e. a client in the same household as the server)?  If that is the case, please put the exact error message (actually put the exact error message no matter where you are trying to open it from).

I am able to go to myservername.homeserver.com just fine whether I am on/my/ personal network or just a wifi hotspot. To clarify I /cannot/ open the windows home server console OR rdp into my home server /outside/ of my personal network. I have no problem opening it up on a computer from within my personal network. As far as the errors go:

If you connect through the homeserver.com domain, are you able to open the Console through your browser window?  (ie. the "Computer" tab in the window)

Your console should show grey when you're not on your local network (assuming you don't have a VPN set up to allow you to access the local network that way), because you're not on your local network anymore. You're on someone else's local network and connected to your server via the Internet.

The same thing applies for Remote Desktop Connection.  You're not on your local network, so you're not allowed to use Remote Desktop Connection to get into the server.

Have a great day:)
    Patrick.

Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Have you updated today?
    http://update.microsoft.com

Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Sunday, July 18, 2010 4:43 PM
  • Within your home network you can use the desktop icon (or the other options I mentioned). They all do the same thing. From outside your network, you need to use Internet Explorer and the Remote Access web site. If you use some other browser, you won't see the Computers tab of the web site, which is where you would open the console.

I had no idea I could do that (access the console from the remote access website). I've always used Google Chrome so I had no idea that was an option. I am able to open it from within my network, I will have to try another wifi hotspot to make sure I can still access it. I'll let you guys know the results. 

Sunday, July 18, 2010 7:31 PM

Alright, so I am currently on a wifi hotspot, I tried accessing the console from the remote access website and when it was trying to connect I got this error:

"The remote connection to the computer timed out. Please connect again."

Another thing I was confused about, I have been able to download and install the console to 2 laptops, I tried downloading it to my desktop, but once I clicked download it redirected my to a page saying "you are not authorized to view this page" I don't get why its doing that for my desktop but then it will install fine on 2 laptops. 

Edit: One other thing I forgot to mention, I tried viewing a backup (on my home network) after backing it up through the console on the remote access website and got this error:

"You must open a backup from the Windows Home Server Console running on a home computer." 

I wasn't exactly sure what that meant.

But one thing at a time, I want to fix my first issue.

Sunday, July 18, 2010 8:52 PM
  • Alright, so I am currently on a wifi hotspot, I tried accessing the console from the remote access website and when it was trying to connect I got this error:

Have you installed any add-ins?  What about applications from the server desktop (which is unsupported)?  What are the component numbers in the Console (Settings button, Resources tab)?

Another thing I was confused about, I have been able to download and install the console to 2 laptops, I tried downloading it to my desktop, but once I clicked download it redirected my to a page saying "you are not authorized to view this page" I don't get why its doing that for my desktop but then it will install fine on 2 laptops. 

Did you try installing directly from \\[servername]\software\home server connector software?

Edit: One other thing I forgot to mention, I tried viewing a backup (on my home network) after backing it up through the console on the remote access website and got this error:

"You must open a backup from the Windows Home Server Console running on a home computer." 

That's correct.  You cannot view backups from the server (only a client).

I wasn't exactly sure what that meant.

But one thing at a time, I want to fix my first issue.

Sunday, July 18, 2010 11:23 PM
  • Alright, so I am currently on a wifi hotspot, I tried accessing the console from the remote access website and when it was trying to connect I got this error:

Have you installed any add-ins?  What about applications from the server desktop (which is unsupported)?  What are the component numbers in the Console (Settings button, Resources tab)?

No I don't have any add-ins installed, I do have filezilla ftp server installed. But I wouldn't think that that would make any difference. Also, I am not sure what you mean by "component numbers".

And you were saying that you can only view backups on a client, is that a computer that is actually on the home network? That is why I was trying to open the console desktop icon instead of going to the remote access site.

Edit: Oh yeah I forgot, I think that my 4125 TCP port is still blocked for some reason even though I opened it in my router settings, because I tried 2 different sites and they both say that 4125 is blocked, but every other port that I have opened has been successfully opened>

Sunday, July 18, 2010 11:41 PM
  • No I don't have any add-ins installed, I do have filezilla ftp server installed. But I wouldn't think that that would make any difference.  
    It's possible (although unlikely).  FYI, installing anything from the server desktop is unsupported.

Also, I am not sure what you mean by "component numbers".  
    Well, if you open the Console (from anywhere where you can open it) and follow my instructions, you'll see the numbers I'm asking about.  :)

And you were saying that you can only view backups on a client, is that a computer that is actually on the home network?

Yes.  It must be in the local network when you try to open the Console from it.

That is why I was trying to open the console desktop icon instead of going to the remote access site.

Again, you've previously said that it works (presumably from within your LAN).  Does it? 

Edit: Oh yeah I forgot, I think that my 4125 TCP port is still blocked for some reason even though I opened it in my router settings, because I tried 2 different sites and they both say that 4125 is blocked, but every other port that I have opened has been successfully opened>
    Monday, July 19, 2010 12:23 AM
  • I'm sorry I followed your instructions and I still don't see what you are talking about, could you be a bit more specific? Also, I have no idea what is wrong but (and I was wrong when I said this earlier) I do have the console installed on my desktop but now for some reason now I can't login to it (when I was able to login before). I get the error:

As far as the ports go, I thought it was opened since I did it in the port forwarding section of my router, but now that I have gone to a few sites to check it all of the ports I open except for port 4125 work. I don't know why.

Monday, July 19, 2010 12:43 AM
  • I'm sorry I followed your instructions and I still don't see what you are talking about, could you be a bit more specific? 
    Well, if you can't open the Console from anywhere now, that will prove to be difficult.  :)  Let's go back to step 1:  How many clients do you have in your LAN that are "joined" to the server (meaning it has the Connector software installed on them)?  Can you open the Console from any of them?  If so, click on the Settings button, then the Resources tab.

Also, I have no idea what is wrong but (and I was wrong when I said this earlier) I do have the console installed on my desktop but now for some reason now I can't login to it (when I was able to login before). I get the error:

As far as the ports go, I thought it was opened since I did it in the port forwarding section of my router, but now that I have gone to a few sites to check it all of the ports I open except for port 4125 work. I don't know why.

Monday, July 19, 2010 1:37 AM
  • Ok if you're referring to the version information

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2423.0

Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2423.0

Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2423.0

Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.2423.0

Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.2423.0

I have the console installed on my dads laptop (which works) and my laptop which works. But for some reason it doesn't work on my desktop, so I tried reinstalling it and when its "downloading software from the server" it stops and says that an error occurred and couldn't install (or something like that).

Also, I know you said software on the desktop isn't supported but I think that this might have something to do with my problems. Because now I cannot access the filezilla ftp server (through windows explorer) anywhere, it says "a connection to the server could not be established" do you have any idea why this would happen. Up until yesterday it worked...

Edit: I actually ended up fixing Filezilla by forwarding port 21 (which I had initially but then took it off). But I still cannot install the WHS connector software. The exact error message I get when I try to install it is: "This operation cannot be completed at this time. Please try again later. If the problem persists, please contact Product Support."

Monday, July 19, 2010 1:48 AM
  • Ok if you're referring to the version information

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2423.0

Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2423.0

Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2423.0

Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.2423.0

Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.2423.0 

Yep, that's what I was asking about.  :)

I have the console installed on my dads laptop (which works) and my laptop which works. But for some reason it doesn't work on my desktop, so I tried reinstalling it and when its "downloading software from the server" it stops and says that an error occurred and couldn't install (or something like that).

OK, I think we're getting somewhere now.  :)  Can you open the server's shares from your desktop?  If so, have you tried copying the Connector software install files from \\[servername]\software\home server connector software to your desktop and installing from there?

Also, I know you said software on the desktop isn't supported but I think that this might have something to do with my problems. Because now I cannot access the filezilla ftp server (through windows explorer) anywhere, it says "a connection to the server could not be established" do you have any idea why this would happen. Up until yesterday it worked...

Edit: I actually ended up fixing Filezilla by forwarding port 21 (which I had initially but then took it off). But I still cannot install the WHS connector software. The exact error message I get when I try to install it is: "This operation cannot be completed at this time. Please try again later. If the problem persists, please contact Product Support."

In that case, can you successfully ping your server from your desktop (both by name and by IP address)?  Can you run ipconfig /all on one of the clients that does work, your desktop, and your server, then post all of the results here?
    Monday, July 19, 2010 3:54 AM
  • OK, I think we're getting somewhere now.  :)  Can you open the server's shares from your desktop?  If so, have you tried copying the Connector software install files from \\[servername]\software\home server connector software to your desktop and installing from there?
    In that case, can you successfully ping your server from your desktop (both by name and by IP address)?  Can you run ipconfig /all on one of the clients that does work, your desktop, and your server, then post all of the results here?

Ok so I tried installing the connector software from where you were talking about and still got the error, so I have no clue what I am doing wrong. Because as I said before, it did previously work and then just stopped.

Ok as far as the ping results...I pinged my server by name, wishserver, as well as by the internal ip address and it worked successfully.

As far as running ipconfig, I did that on my laptop which works with the connector software and here are the results:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : EricLaptop-PC

Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.pa.comcast.net.

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : hsd1.pa.comcast.net.

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) WiFi Link 1000 BGN

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-64-21-C2-BE

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::a091:cb75:9faf:70f%12(Preferred)

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.153(Preferred)

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, July 19, 2010 5:11:09 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, July 20, 2010 5:11:10 PM

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 301997668

DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-12-C4-D2-9D-90-E6-BA-67-C0-5F

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.64.150

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR8132 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Contro

ller (NDIS 6.20)

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 90-E6-BA-67-C0-5F

Tunnel adapter isatap.hsd1.pa.comcast.net.:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e74:2c0d:a45:3f57:fe66(Prefe

rred)

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2c0d:a45:3f57:fe66%13(Preferred)

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\>

Here are the results from the server:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>cd..

C:\Documents and Settings>cd..

C:\>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : wishserver
      Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
      Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
      Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
      Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 6C-F0-49-B6-D8-EC
      IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101

Monday, July 19, 2010 9:21 PM
  • Ok so I tried installing the connector software from where you were talking about and still got the error, so I have no clue what I am doing wrong. Because as I said before, it did previously work and then just stopped.

Ok as far as the ping results...I pinged my server by name, wishserver, as well as by the internal ip address and it worked successfully.

As far as running ipconfig, I did that on my laptop which works with the connector software and here are the results:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : EricLaptop-PC

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) WiFi Link 1000 BGN

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-64-21-C2-BE

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::a091:cb75:9faf:70f%12(Preferred)

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.153(Preferred)

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, July 19, 2010 5:11:09 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, July 20, 2010 5:11:10 PM

DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 301997668

DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-12-C4-D2-9D-90-E6-BA-67-C0-5F

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR8132 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Contro

ller (NDIS 6.20)

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 90-E6-BA-67-C0-5F

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e74:2c0d:a45:3f57:fe66(Prefe

rred)

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2c0d:a45:3f57:fe66%13(Preferred)

Here are the results from the server:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>cd..

C:\Documents and Settings>cd..

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : wishserver

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 6C-F0-49-B6-D8-EC

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101

I think you forgot the most important ipconfig:  the one of your desktop.  :)  Also, you might try installing the WHS Toolkit (for a 32-bit client OS or a 64-bit client OS) on your desktop and run the Troubleshooting portion to see if it can find anything.
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 3:58 AM
  • My bad lol heres the results from the desktop:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]

Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Eric>cd..

C:\Users>cd..

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Eric-PC

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ether

net Controller #2

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-23-54-88-6E-5F

net Controller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-23-54-88-64-D0

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::3cae:e691:5446:b17d%11(Preferred)

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.151(Preferred)

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, July 19, 2010 2:44:04 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, July 20, 2010 2:44:04 PM

DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234890068

DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-13-AB-69-20-00-23-54-88-64-D0

Tunnel adapter isatap.{086C16B0-FE4E-4D2A-A67A-67B2C0EB0A9B}:

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:3c42:32ba:bbae:6bc5(Pref

erred)

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::3c42:32ba:bbae:6bc5%13(Preferred)

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

And as far as the toolkit goes, I have tried that and I keep getting the same generic BS each time.

"Potential issues are displayed below. 

The version of the Connector software does not match the version of Windows Home Server"

Thats's bull because I retrieved the software from the exact location you recommended and I still get the same error." 

So I really don't know what happened, because as I said before it did work and then for whatever mystical reason it just stopped.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 4:12 AM
  • My bad lol heres the results from the desktop:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]

Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Eric>cd..

C:\Users>cd..

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Eric-PC

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

net Controller #2

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-23-54-88-6E-5F

net Controller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-23-54-88-64-D0

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::3cae:e691:5446:b17d%11(Preferred)

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.151(Preferred)

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, July 19, 2010 2:44:04 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, July 20, 2010 2:44:04 PM

DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234890068

DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-13-AB-69-20-00-23-54-88-64-D0

Tunnel adapter isatap.{086C16B0-FE4E-4D2A-A67A-67B2C0EB0A9B}:

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:3c42:32ba:bbae:6bc5(Pref

erred)

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::3c42:32ba:bbae:6bc5%13(Preferred)

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

And as far as the toolkit goes, I have tried that and I keep getting the same generic BS each time.

"Potential issues are displayed below. 

The version of the Connector software does not match the version of Windows Home Server"

Thats's bull because I retrieved the software from the exact location you recommended and I still get the same error."  

That's a known issue, just ignore it.  Did it say anything else? 

So I really don't know what happened, because as I said before it did work and then for whatever mystical reason it just stopped.

Do you have any other clients you can try installing the software on (perhaps setting up a virtual machine temporarily just to test it out)?  (Just trying to see if it's only that client with the issue.)  If not, I suppose you could try uninstalling the software from one of the clients that already has it installed, then install it again.  However, if you have the same problem with that client, you would then have 2 clients without it...
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 4:30 AM
  • As far as the toolkit goes, the only other things it said were very generic stuff, but they were:

"Windows Home Server Connector troubleshooting article"

"ReadMe for this tool"

I had actually tried installing the connector on my mom's vista laptop (which was the first time for that laptop" and it got the same errors I'm seeing on my custom built desktop. I mean since you have definitely worked with WHS a lot more than I have, why do you think this is all of the sudden not working, especially since it had worked before? And of course, how can I fix that problem?

Also, as far as that timeout issue that I mentioned before when trying to access the console from a remote location, how do you suppose I fix that?

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 4:54 AM
  • As far as the toolkit goes, the only other things it said were very generic stuff, but they were:

"Windows Home Server Connector troubleshooting article"

"ReadMe for this tool" 

When you ran the troubleshooter, did everything pass? 

I had actually tried installing the connector on my mom's vista laptop (which was the first time for that laptop" and it got the same errors I'm seeing on my custom built desktop. I mean since you have definitely worked with WHS a lot more than I have, why do you think this is all of the sudden not working, especially since it had worked before? And of course, how can I fix that problem?

When was the last time you successfully installed the software on a client?  Just to make sure, did you try copying the entire Home Server Connector Software folder to the desktop of a client and install the app from there (instead of the server)?

Also, as far as that timeout issue that I mentioned before when trying to access the console from a remote location, how do you suppose I fix that?

At this point, I think your best option is Server Reinstallation and don't install any application on the server from the server desktop.
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 2:12 AM

• When you ran the troubleshooter, did everything pass? 

When was the last time you successfully installed the software on a client?  Just to make sure, did you try copying the entire Home Server Connector Software folder to the desktop of a client and install the app from there (instead of the server)?

At this point, I think your best option is Server Reinstallation and don't install any application on the server from the server desktop.

I just ran the troubleshooter and from what I could tell everything passed.

The last time I successfully installed the software on a client was probably sometime last week and that was on my laptop. 

Also, what app are you referring to on the server?

Now when you say server re-installation do you mean actually reinstalling the WHS OS on there? Finally, what exactly do you mean don't install anything on the desktop, because really the only thing I wanted to put on there was the filezilla ftp server instead of using the remote site to upload things, so how would I install that not on the desktop (technically only the shortcut would be there, but I'm really confused)? 

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 2:28 AM
  • I just ran the troubleshooter and from what I could tell everything passed.

The last time I successfully installed the software on a client was probably sometime last week and that was on my laptop. 

Did you install filezilla on the server since then? 

Also, what app are you referring to on the server? 

Well, any app (in your case, filezilla).  Installing any application on the server is unsupported.

Now when you say server re-installation do you mean actually reinstalling the WHS OS on there?

Yes.  Server Reinstallation is a special install mode that wipes the OS partition, but leaves the data/backups alone.

Finally, what exactly do you mean don't install anything on the desktop, because really the only thing I wanted to put on there was the filezilla ftp server instead of using the remote site to upload things, so how would I install that not on the desktop (technically only the shortcut would be there, but I'm really confused)? 

You install it on a client.  :)  Logging into the server desktop is unsupported (which obviously means installing any app that requires installation from the server desktop is also unsupported).  I said the desktop because WHS add-ins (which are "app-like") can be installed, but they must be installed through the Console.
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 3:02 AM
  • Did you install filezilla on the server since then? 

Well, any app (in your case, filezilla).  Installing any application on the server is unsupported.

Yes.  Server Reinstallation is a special install mode that wipes the OS partition, but leaves the data/backups alone.

You install it on a client.  :)  Logging into the server desktop is unsupported (which obviously means installing any app that requires installation from the server desktop is also unsupported).  I said the desktop because WHS add-ins (which are "app-like") can be installed, but they must be installed through the Console.

Quick random question, each time you have responded to me you are able to separate my responses and add your responses in the white space, how do you do that?

I think that I had to reinstall it once or twice when I thought something was messed up (turned out I just had to open up port 21 to fix it).

So you're saying that I don't have to have it installed on my server and only on my client computer and filezilla will still work?

Ok, so how do I go about doing a server re-installation, and also do you think it will fix that timeout issue I had mentioned?

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 3:36 AM
  •  On 7/20/2010 10:36 PM, chipbowl300 wrote:

Did you install filezilla on the server since then?

Yes.  Server Reinstallation is a special install mode that wipes the OS partition, but leaves the data/backups alone.You install it on a client.  :)  Logging into the server desktop is unsupported (which obviously means installing any app that requires installation from the server desktop is also unsupported).  I said the desktop because WHS add-ins (which are "app-like") can be installed, but they must be installed through the Console.

Quick random question, each time you have responded to me you are able to separate my responses and add your responses in the white space, how do you do that?

I think that I had to reinstall it once or twice when I thought something was messed up (turned out I just had to open up port 21 to fix it).

So you're saying that I don't have to have it installed on my server and /only/on my client computer and filezilla will still work?

Ok, so how do I go about doing a server re-installation, and also do you think it will fix that timeout issue I had mentioned?

I'll bite on the quick random question (although kariya will be the one to better answer the question).  If Kariya is using an NNTP reader (like Outlook Express/Windows Mail/Windows Live Mail) it's a matter of hitting enter at the right spot to create the white space.

On the forum, you simply move the [ /QUOTE] tag to where you want to insert your comment, and then copy the original [ QUOTE] tag from the top and paste it after that.  Repeat for each comment, and rinse.
     -- Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Have you updated today?

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 6:08 PM
  •  On 7/20/2010 10:36 PM, chipbowl300 wrote:

Did you install filezilla on the server since then?

Yes.  Server Reinstallation is a special install mode that wipes the OS partition, but leaves the data/backups alone.You install it on a client.  :)  Logging into the server desktop is unsupported (which obviously means installing any app that requires installation from the server desktop is also unsupported).  I said the desktop because WHS add-ins (which are "app-like") can be installed, but they must be installed through the Console.

So you're saying that I don't have to have it installed on my server and /only/on my client computer and filezilla will still work?

Ok, so how do I go about doing a server re-installation, and also do you think it will fix that timeout issue I had mentioned?

I'll bite on the quick random question (although kariya will be the one to better answer the question).  If Kariya is using an NNTP reader (like Outlook Express/Windows Mail/Windows Live Mail) it's a matter of hitting enter at the right spot to create the white space.

On the forum, you simply move the [ /QUOTE] tag to where you want to insert your comment, and then copy the original [ QUOTE] tag from the top and paste it after that.  Repeat for each comment, and rinse.
     -- Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Have you updated today?

ok well i just tried twice by putting [/QUOTE] and [QUOTE] and the reverse of that and neither of them did anything except for taking up space. I don't see those tags anywhere when I respond. But if it doesn't end up working, then whatever I just want to get my problems fixed.
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 9:35 PM

• When you ran the troubleshooter, did everything pass? 

Ok, since Google is everyone's friend lol, I figured out how to do a server reinstallation and I'm going to do that very soon and I will let you know what's happening.
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 9:47 PM
  • ok well i just tried twice by putting [/QUOTE] and [QUOTE] and the reverse of that and neither of them did anything except for taking up space. I don't see those tags anywhere when I respond. But if it doesn't end up working, then whatever I just want to get my problems fixed.
    You have to edit the HTML code.  You can't just type it in the forum website like the rest of your message.  (Also, FWIW, I use <blockquote> and </blockquote>.)
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 4:19 AM
  • Alright, sorry it took so long but I finally got the server reinstalled and the connector software now "magically" works on my desktop lol. Now I just have to try the remote site. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Friday, July 23, 2010 10:58 PM
  • I've reinstalled the server and I have the connector software on my desktop now, but I tried accessing the server the FTP (specifically filezilla) and I get the error, "A connection with the server could not be established." So that leads me to believe that in order to having this function it must be installed on the server desktop as well...

I'm not quite sure. But I am actually going to try the remote site from a remote location, I'll let you know.

Saturday, July 24, 2010 8:48 PM
  • Alright, I am at a remote location and gaining remote access STILL does not work. I don't understand what is wrong, I reinstalled the server (I initially got an error so I had to do a completely new install) and this still doesn't work. And as I said, I can't access filezilla from any clients and I think it's because it isn't installed on the server, so what do you think the next step is?
    Saturday, July 24, 2010 9:13 PM
  • Alright, I am at a remote location and gaining remote access STILL does not work. I don't understand what is wrong, I reinstalled the server (I initially got an error so I had to do a completely new install) and this still doesn't work. And as I said, I can't access filezilla from any clients and I think it's because it isn't installed on the server, so what do you think the next step is?

Forget filezilla for the moment.  What WHS problems are you having now (if any)?

Saturday, July 24, 2010 10:18 PM

• Forget filezilla for the moment.  What WHS problems are you having now (if any)?

Ok, just to update you on at least 1 status: I now have the connector software successfully installed on 3 computers (2 laptops and my desktop). 

I went to a remote location with wifi and attempted to connect to the console via my remote access site and got an error that it had timed out and to try again. That is my looming problem(and I believe that is my only problem).

Sunday, July 25, 2010 4:48 AM
  • Ok, just to update you on at least 1 status: I now have the connector software successfully installed on 3 computers (2 laptops and my desktop). 

I went to a remote location with wifi and attempted to connect to the console via my remote access site and got an error that it had timed out and to try again. That is my looming problem(and I believe that is my only problem).

Do you have any clients in your LAN that support incoming Remote Desktop Connections?  If so, can you connect to any of those through the Remote Access website?  Have you tried from more than 1 client that is outside your LAN (just to determine if the problem is with a specific remote client)?
    Sunday, July 25, 2010 2:43 PM
  • Do you have any clients in your LAN that support incoming Remote Desktop Connections?  If so, can you connect to any of those through the Remote Access website?  Have you tried from more than 1 client that is outside your LAN (just to determine if the problem is with a specific remote client)?

I'm pretty sure that none of my clients support incoming remote desktop (2 of my clients: 1 laptop and 1 desktop have norton internet security, my dad's corporate laptop doesn't have NIS but it is so highly locked down that I don't think I could enable it, I can try though). We do have one more laptop that doesn't have NIS, so I can try to access the remote site from there.

I haven't tried with any other clients outside of my LAN though, but as I mentioned earlier I could try one of the other laptops. 

Other than this though, is there anything else I can try, or am I just about out of options?

Also what do you think I can do about filezilla?

Sunday, July 25, 2010 9:50 PM

• Do you have any clients in your LAN that support incoming Remote Desktop Connections?  If so, can you connect to any of those through the Remote Access website?  Have you tried from more than 1 client that is outside your LAN (just to determine if the problem is with a specific remote client)?
    There is an update, somehow my dad's corporate laptop is able to pull up the console through the remote access site. So I don't know why my laptop won't.
    Sunday, July 25, 2010 10:03 PM
  • There is an update, somehow my dad's corporate laptop is able to pull up the console through the remote access site. So I don't know why my laptop won't.
    Do both laptops have the same OS?  What version of RDC is on each of them?  Are you using Internet Explorer from both laptops?  If so, what version?
    Monday, July 26, 2010 12:02 AM
  • Do both laptops have the same OS?  What version of RDC is on each of them?  Are you using Internet Explorer from both laptops?  If so, what version?

My laptop has Windows 7 Professional and my dad's corporate laptop uses Windows XP Pro. I'm not sure what version of remote desktop I have, and I am not even sure how to figure that out. I'm using IE8 and I think that my dad is on like version 6 or something(I know it's definitely an older version though). I'll check with him to find out his version of IE8.

Edit: I just found out that my dad's laptop has IE6, now I just need to find out how I tell which version of RDC we have.

Monday, July 26, 2010 10:37 PM
  • My laptop has Windows 7 Professional and my dad's corporate laptop uses Windows XP Pro. I'm not sure what version of remote desktop I have 
    Win7 has only one possible RDC version:  6.1.  As for finding out, just open RDC, right click in the title bar and select About.

and I am not even sure how to figure that out. I'm using IE8 and I think that my dad is on like version 6 or something(I know it's definitely an older version though). I'll check with him to find out his version of IE8.

Edit: I just found out that my dad's laptop has IE6, now I just need to find out how I tell which version of RDC we have.

Have you tried resetting the settings on your IE browser (Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab > Reset button)?
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 5:06 AM
  • Win7 has only one possible RDC version:  6.1.  As for finding out, just open RDC, right click in the title bar and select About.

Have you tried resetting the settings on your IE browser (Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab > Reset button)?

Sorry for the long delay.

I am currently at a remote location, a Staples hotspot to be exact lol and I tried what you said to reset the settings and it still does not work. I keep getting the same error I have been, that the connection has timed out and to try again. I'm wondering, could it possibly be the fact that I'm using a store's wifi hotspot that thats the reason I'm getting problems? Because it seems like I have tried everything here.

Let me ask you something, do I need to open up any other ports through my firewall, which happens to be Norton Internet security? If so how do I go about opening them because I have looked through the settings and couldn't really find any place for doing that. 

Other than that, is there anything else that I can try?

Thursday, July 29, 2010 9:54 PM
  • Sorry for the long delay.

I am currently at a remote location, a Staples hotspot to be exact lol and I tried what you said to reset the settings and it still does not work. I keep getting the same error I have been, that the connection has timed out and to try again. I'm wondering, could it possibly be the fact that I'm using a store's wifi hotspot that thats the reason I'm getting problems? Because it seems like I have tried everything here.

If they are blocking port 4125, yes.  You should try it from somewhere else (friend's house perhaps). 
    Let me ask you something, do I need to open up any other ports through my firewall, which happens to be Norton Internet security? If so how do I go about opening them because I have looked through the settings and couldn't really find any place for doing that. 

That's possible as well.  The best way to find that out is to temporarily disable NIS completely.  If it works while NIS is disabled, then it's definitely NIS. 

Other than that, is there anything else that I can try?

Friday, July 30, 2010 4:38 AM
  • If they are blocking port 4125, yes.  You should try it from somewhere else (friend's house perhaps). 
    That's possible as well.  The best way to find that out is to temporarily disable NIS completely.  If it works while NIS is disabled, then it's definitely NIS. 
    So, wait, let me ask you something, when I am trying to access the server remotely(remote location), which router is it accessing mine or which ever router I am closest to?  
    Saturday, July 31, 2010 8:38 PM
  • So, wait, let me ask you something, when I am trying to access the server remotely(remote location), which router is it accessing mine or which ever router I am closest to?  
    Both.  You have to be able to get through the local router before you can get to the internet.  If the local router is blocking 4125, RD will never work from that location (even if your configuration at home is correct).
    Saturday, July 31, 2010 8:54 PM
  • Both.  You have to be able to get through the local router before you can get to the internet.  If the local router is blocking 4125, RD will never work from that location (even if your configuration at home is correct).

Thats pretty retarded, I was always under the impression that it was only going through my router. So, then there really is no way to always guarantee accessibility depending on where you are unless you know the settings of the remote router, right?

Because, I mean I don't think anyone deliberately opens up any ports unless its for a specific reason (WHS, etc.). So is there anything you can do for that?

Saturday, July 31, 2010 9:11 PM
  • Thats pretty retarded, I was always under the impression that it was only going through my router. 
    Obviously the request to access your website (or any other website for that matter) has to go through the remote router first.  Otherwise, how would any computer in the remote LAN ever even get on the internet?

So, then there really is no way to always guarantee accessibility depending on where you are unless you know the settings of the remote router, right?

Correct. 

Because, I mean I don't think anyone deliberately opens up any ports unless its for a specific reason (WHS, etc.).

It doesn't matter.  If another location blocks outgoing traffic on 4125 (which it is their right to do so), it won't work.  Typically businesses to do that to control what their employees can (and can't) do on the internet.

So is there anything you can do for that?

Yes.  Try from another location.  As I said before, try from a friend's house (presumably he wouldn't be blocking outgoing 4125).
    • Marked as answer by ericwish1 Saturday, August 21, 2010 5:22 PM
    Monday, August 2, 2010 4:12 AM
  • Obviously the request to access your website (or any other website for that matter) has to go through the remote router first.  Otherwise, how would any computer in the remote LAN ever even get on the internet?

Yeah that makes sense that it has to go through the remote router first.

So the remote location doesn't have to be forwarding port 4125 but just not have it blocked, is that correct?

And by the way sorry I re-asked that question, is there anything else I can do. I remembered you said to try it at a friends house. So I'll give that a try and let you know.

Monday, August 2, 2010 5:52 PM
  • Yeah that makes sense that it has to go through the remote router first.

So the remote location doesn't have to be forwarding port 4125 but just not have it blocked, is that correct? 

Correct.

And by the way sorry I re-asked that question, is there anything else I can do. I remembered you said to try it at a friends house. So I'll give that a try and let you know.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 4:05 AM
  • Sorry for the extremely long delay but I was moving. Now I can test the remote site at a "friends house" aka my parents house. But there is one problem, I can't even get my home server site to load on my LAN. After I moved, I started using my roommates router, a belkin wireless g. I have forwarded ports 80, 4125, 443  (and 21 for filezilla). And on the console on my home server, the remote access says its available but I still cannot get onto my remote site. I feel like I am just missing something stupid but if you could help me out, I think this might actually be solved here pretty soon.
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 11:00 PM
  • Sorry for the extremely long delay but I was moving. Now I can test the remote site at a "friends house" aka my parents house. But there is one problem, I can't even get my home server site to load on my LAN.  
    Don't worry about whether the Remote Access website works from within your LAN.  You don't need it.

After I moved, I started using my roommates router, a belkin wireless g. I have forwarded ports 80, 4125, 443  (and 21 for filezilla). And on the console on my home server, the remote access says its available but I still cannot get onto my remote site.

Just to make sure: where is the server located (your house, friend's/parents' house, etc.) and where are you when you try to use the Remote Access website (your house, friend's/parents' house, etc.)?

I feel like I am just missing something stupid but if you could help me out, I think this might actually be solved here pretty soon.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 4:02 AM
  • Don't worry about whether the Remote Access website works from within your LAN.  You don't need it.

Just to make sure: where is the server located (your house, friend's/parents' house, etc.) and where are you when you try to use the Remote Access website (your house, friend's/parents' house, etc.)?

My server is in my house and I will try to access the remote site from my parents' house.
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 7:46 PM
  • Don't worry about whether the Remote Access website works from within your LAN.  You don't need it.

I think I might have been a little confused here, because when I said I couldn't access the site I meant my personal home server site   ****.homeserver.com

Now, I'm most likely going to get a new router and see how that works. But I wanted to clear up the confusion there.

Friday, August 20, 2010 3:58 PM
  • I think I might have been a little confused here, because when I said I couldn't access the site I meant my personal home server site   ****.homeserver.com

Now, I'm most likely going to get a new router and see how that works. But I wanted to clear up the confusion there.

What happened when you tried accessing your server from your parents' house?
    Friday, August 20, 2010 5:45 PM
  • What happened when you tried accessing your server from your parents' house?
    Alright, here's a little update: I've picked up a better router and I am now able to go to my home server site (with the new router) but I haven't yet gone to my parents' house. I'm going to try to either go to my parents' house or another friends house or something. I will let you know how it goes.
    Friday, August 20, 2010 7:29 PM
  • What happened when you tried accessing your server from your parents' house?
    Ok, I have the GREATEST news (at least for me lol). I can now access the remote site from a remote location lol. I just found a local store that had an open network and it worked, so I don't need to go to my parents' house to try it. And you were most likely right about Staples probably blocking one of the ports. I think that is why I wasn't able to get on. So I am going to mark that post as an answer and @kariya21 thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it.
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 5:22 PM