one of my *mny files does not work on my laptop but it does on another RRS feed

• Question

• I have spent the last 3 days looking through these forums to see if I could find a relevant thread without success. Cal very kindly opened a new thread for me, but I have not had any replies, so I wondered whether starting a new one with a different title might achieve better results.

My problem is as follows:

I have been using Microsoft Money for 10 years now. I have 2 separate files, for 2 separate sets of accounts. In the last few days, one of the files has become unusable on my main laptop (OS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1). The other file still works fine and both files work on a different laptop (OS Windows Vista Home Premium SP2). Unfortunately, I need them both to work (like they have always done) on the Windows 7 laptop.

My version of Money is Money Deluxe OEM Edition Version 12.0 (I believe this is 2004).

I have put all 4 files (2 x *.mny and 2 x *mbf) on a USB Stick. I have tried to do a Restore Backup, a Quick, and a Standard File Repair; I have reinstalled Microsoft Money, I have done a System Restore, I have tried to open the file as a different user with administrator privileges - No Luck. The smaller file (I'll call it File B) works fine on Laptop 1 (Windows 7 Home Premium SP1) and on Laptop 2 (Windows Vista Premium SP2), but the larger file (I'll call it File A) only works on Laptop 2. On Laptop 1, icons disappear from the screen, part of the text/screen also disappears showing parts of the previous screen, and/or the screen shows blank blocks, and/or it crashes when you try to enter new information.

Any suggestions?

• Edited by chitidc Thursday, May 3, 2012 2:02 PM
    Thursday, May 3, 2012 2:00 PM

Answers

• I suspect some kind of graphics driver problem on laptop 1. If you have switchable (between integrated or high performance) graphics, try choosing the other setting.

Also try booting into safe mode with networking, and running your big Money file. Safe mode uses different drivers. Safe mode reduces your screen pixels, but Money should run anyway. This is for testing purposes. If things work, I guess I would seek out different video drivers.

You might also see if maximizing the window helps or changes things.

You don't say if you are using 32- or 64-bit Windows 7. I use 32-bit.

What could help is to switch to Money 2005 UK on both machines after a successful test on computer #1. If it made things work on both computers, it could be worthwhile for you. Note that if you did that, your Money files get converted to Money 2005 format, and they could not be read by Money 2004 if you reinstalled that. While Money saves a copy of the file as it existed as *.m12, you might want to make extra copies in case you wanted to switch back to Money 2004.

• Marked as answer by chitidc Monday, May 7, 2012 3:39 PM
    Friday, May 4, 2012 1:02 PM
  • Hello again Cal,

I have tried to follow your instructions above but I'm not quite sure what to do. The file 2cat.reg doesn't seem to exist on my computer already - How do I create it and where? This is probably basic stuff, but I'm afraid I've never done it. I would appreciate your help.

Thank you.

You should create the file yourself using a text editor, such as Notepad. Do not use a text processor such as Word for this purpose. So you should open Notepad (it's an accessory included in Windows.  Paste the four lines (including the blank line) into Notepad, and save the file as 2cat.reg. Check that Notepad has not saved the file as 2cat.reg.txt; if it does, rename 2cat.reg.txt to 2cat.reg without the .txt on the end.

If you have trouble with using Notepad, you may want to check with a friend who has worked with computers for a while. Similarly, if you don't know how to copy (Ctrl+C) the 4 lines from the posting above and paste it (Cntl+V) into Notepad, your friend will probably be glad to take the keyboard for a couple minutes. It will not take a computer professional-- just somebody who used a computer several years ago when such operations were more common.

If you don't have such a friend, I could put that file at a place you could download from. Generally you should not run *.reg files that you don't know the source of; they can do pretty much anything. Because of that, when you run one, Windows will come up with a pop-up box asking if you want to allow the file to make changes to your computer. The 2cat.reg file is simple enough that you could inspect it before running it. I don't want you to be too trusting of *.reg files generally. By making it yourself, you get to see what is inside. The lines may seem like giberish to you, but at least other people will have seen the posting without posting that the 2cat.reg file is not safe; it is safe.

Monday, May 7, 2012 2:56 PM

All replies

• 1. Are you outside of North America?

2.If you do Help->About, what is your version number that is shown?

Friday, May 4, 2012 4:53 AM
  • 1. I am in the UK.

2. As I said in my previous message, my version is Money Deluxe OEM Edition Version 12.0 and was part of Microsoft Works 2004.

Thank you.

Friday, May 4, 2012 6:37 AM
  • Try to reload money again. May be one of file missing or corupted.
    Friday, May 4, 2012 12:26 PM
  • I suspect some kind of graphics driver problem on laptop 1. If you have switchable (between integrated or high performance) graphics, try choosing the other setting.

Also try booting into safe mode with networking, and running your big Money file. Safe mode uses different drivers. Safe mode reduces your screen pixels, but Money should run anyway. This is for testing purposes. If things work, I guess I would seek out different video drivers.

You might also see if maximizing the window helps or changes things.

You don't say if you are using 32- or 64-bit Windows 7. I use 32-bit.

What could help is to switch to Money 2005 UK on both machines after a successful test on computer #1. If it made things work on both computers, it could be worthwhile for you. Note that if you did that, your Money files get converted to Money 2005 format, and they could not be read by Money 2004 if you reinstalled that. While Money saves a copy of the file as it existed as *.m12, you might want to make extra copies in case you wanted to switch back to Money 2004.

Friday, May 4, 2012 1:02 PM
  • Download Money Sunset, it is replacement from Micro Soft. use followin link then search for Money sunset.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20738

Friday, May 4, 2012 1:05 PM
  • Thank you Cal,

I have installed Money 2005 UK and both files seem to be working on both computers. I will post here if I have any problems.

I have noticed that Money 2005 does not show Subcategories in a separate box from Categories. Is there any way to do this? Not terribly important though.

Also - Is this version of Money the most up to date for UK users? Is there any difference between Money 2005 and Money Sunset Plus Deluxe?

Thank you for all your help. 

Saturday, May 5, 2012 9:33 AM
  • Where do you want Sub-categories to show in a separate box from Categories? Your Category listing can be changed - see the header - but the transaction entry dialog boxes are not customisable.

Money 2005 UK QFE2 is the latest UK version.

The Money Sunset versions are only for the US. Sunset versions cannot read UK or International Money data files.

Saturday, May 5, 2012 10:32 AM
  • I have noticed that Money 2005 does not show Subcategories in a separate box from Categories. Is there any way to do this? Not terribly important though.

Also - Is this version of Money the most up to date for UK users? Is there any difference between Money 2005 and Money Sunset Plus Deluxe?

If you copy the four lines between the begin/end lines below
    into a file called 2cat.reg, you can double-click 2cat.reg in
    Windows Explorer to create the key that will give you the more familiar dual boxes.

==========begin:2cat.reg===============
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Money\14.0]
    "UseDualCatMode"=dword:00000001
    ==============end:2cat.reg=============

The version that you downloaded is the final UK version. There are some significant differences between Money 2005 and Sunset, but the biggest is that Sunset cannot open a UK Money file. While you could do a QIF export+import to migrate, you would lose a fair amount of information and have some extra work. One of the big differences is that Money Sunset can keep the last N backups for both upon-exit and scheduled backups. N is 1...99 with a default of 4. This would save you from having some bad corruption hit your Money file, followed by your overwriting your single backup file with you corrupt information upon exit. So you should address your backup policy with that in mind.

Saturday, May 5, 2012 11:13 AM
  • Thanks again, Cal. I will try the change to the *.reg file and let you know how I get on. I hope I won't do any serious damage, now that I seem to be starting to get out the wood.

As for your comments regarding the suitability of Money Sunset, I will just keep my fingers crossed that my new Money 2005 UK will work and that it will do so for good.

I will report as soon as I've tried your *.reg patch.

Thanks again for your help.

Saturday, May 5, 2012 11:43 AM
  • Hello again Cal,

I have tried to follow your instructions above but I'm not quite sure what to do. The file 2cat.reg doesn't seem to exist on my computer already - How do I create it and where? This is probably basic stuff, but I'm afraid I've never done it. I would appreciate your help.

Thank you.

Monday, May 7, 2012 2:36 PM
  • Hello again Cal,

Thank you.

You should create the file yourself using a text editor, such as Notepad. Do not use a text processor such as Word for this purpose. So you should open Notepad (it's an accessory included in Windows.  Paste the four lines (including the blank line) into Notepad, and save the file as 2cat.reg. Check that Notepad has not saved the file as 2cat.reg.txt; if it does, rename 2cat.reg.txt to 2cat.reg without the .txt on the end.

If you have trouble with using Notepad, you may want to check with a friend who has worked with computers for a while. Similarly, if you don't know how to copy (Ctrl+C) the 4 lines from the posting above and paste it (Cntl+V) into Notepad, your friend will probably be glad to take the keyboard for a couple minutes. It will not take a computer professional-- just somebody who used a computer several years ago when such operations were more common.

If you don't have such a friend, I could put that file at a place you could download from. Generally you should not run *.reg files that you don't know the source of; they can do pretty much anything. Because of that, when you run one, Windows will come up with a pop-up box asking if you want to allow the file to make changes to your computer. The 2cat.reg file is simple enough that you could inspect it before running it. I don't want you to be too trusting of *.reg files generally. By making it yourself, you get to see what is inside. The lines may seem like giberish to you, but at least other people will have seen the posting without posting that the 2cat.reg file is not safe; it is safe.

Monday, May 7, 2012 2:56 PM
  • Incredible!!! I've done it, and it's worked!!

I can't thank you enough for all your assistance, your time and your patience. Not only did you help me solve what could have been an incredible loss to me (10 years' worth of extensive finance records), but you have also helped me tweak the software for a more familiar use.

Thanks again. 

Monday, May 7, 2012 3:39 PM
  • I've just realised I never answered your question about my OS - I use Windows 7 64-bit on the main laptop and Windows Vista 32-bit on the other. I hope this is not a problem. Money 2005 UK seems to be working on both. Thanks you.
    Monday, May 7, 2012 3:42 PM