Windows Home Server 2011 on ASUS p8p67 RRS feed

• Question

• I find it hard to believe that drivers (or a workaround) for this motherboard aren't somewhere to be found.

I can use this motherboard and squeeze in an operating system meant to run only on the reseller's special fruity hardware, but not Windows?  

COMON!  please someone help me or point me in the direction of success.  I really don't want to rebuild this box with a different motherboard.

Sunday, September 4, 2011 10:37 PM

All replies

• It would help if you gave some information regarding the problem you are having rather than SHOUTING!

I have one of my WHS2011 Servers installed on a P8P67-M Pro without a problem.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Sunday, September 4, 2011 10:47 PM
  • More specifics would be good, cause this board has windows 7 drivers.  Those should work.
    Monday, September 5, 2011 3:18 PM
  • Thanks for reminding me Phil.

That was a frustration shout and I do apologize.

I've updated my sig to contain my system specifications.

These are the devices I can not install using the ASUS P8P67 motherboard CD:

PCI Simple COmmunications Controller
    SM Bus Controller
    Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller
    Unknown device

I do have LAN working (Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller), whose driver installed from the ASUS mobo CD when prompted by WHS.

i5 2500K ASUS P8P67 SandyBridge MB BIOS ver. 1704 8GB DDR3 RAM Nvidia 8400GS PCIe Windows Home Server 2011 64-bit
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 3:03 PM
  • I also assumed it would, but let me detail the steps and errors I'm getting.

If I attempt to start AsusSetup manually I get the following:

"Does not support this Operating System : WNT_6.0I_64"

regardless of whether or not I make compatibility changes or run as administrator.

In device manager I have a yellow ! next to the PCI Simple Communications Controller

I

* right click on device

* select "Update driver software"

* choose "Browse my computer for driver software" and then "Search for driver software ..."

* click Browse and select the ASUS CD\Drivers , select "Include subfolders", then click Next

* after a moment of searching?  I get the following:

"Windows was unable to install your PCI Simple Communications Controller

Windows could not find driver software for your device. ..."

This is the exact  same message I get when choosing to automatically update the driver software *and* when I use  F8 to manually disable "digitaldriver enforcement"

the other devices with issues respond the same

i5 2500K ASUS P8P67 SandyBridge MB BIOS ver. 1704 8GB DDR3 RAM Nvidia 8400GS PCIe Windows Home Server 2011 64-bit
    • Edited by CURaven Tuesday, September 6, 2011 3:18 PM
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 3:17 PM
  • I can not get to my Server at the moment so I am unable to check the actual drivers I used but from what I recall I did not go beyond the Asus CD or their website (no chipset manufacturers sites visited) - all the drivers I used were Windows 7 64-bit. From recollection also, there was only 1 "unknown" device which did not have a driver but it had no affect on WHS functionality that I have noticed. I did copy the drivers CD to a USB stick and directed the installer there. I would not have expected the installer, run from the CD, to have worked as it would not recognise WHS (as you noted above).

Good luck - it can be done. My 2nd server has been working for a few months without problem since the install.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 5:45 PM
  • I also assumed it would, but let me detail the steps and errors I'm getting.

If I attempt to start AsusSetup manually I get the following:

"Does not support this Operating System : WNT_6.0I_64"

regardless of whether or not I make compatibility changes or run as administrator.

In device manager I have a yellow ! next to the PCI Simple Communications Controller

I

* right click on device

* select "Update driver software"

* choose "Browse my computer for driver software" and then "Search for driver software ..."

* click Browse and select the ASUS CD\Drivers , select "Include subfolders", then click Next

* after a moment of searching?  I get the following:

"Windows was unable to install your PCI Simple Communications Controller

Windows could not find driver software for your device. ..."

This is the exact  same message I get when choosing to automatically update the driver software *and* when I use  F8 to manually disable "digitaldriver enforcement"

the other devices with issues respond the same 

Aside from Phil's comments, I'd like to add that the error with AsusSetup is that the installation program itself is not compatible with WHS 2011 (read Windows 2008 Server or any MS Server OS), instead browse to each folder needed on the installation disk.

That should do the trick.

WHS 2011 RTM up and running, v.1 gone to meet its maker...
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 11:13 AM
  • May I ask how either of you were able to complete the install of WHS2011?  I have an Asus P8P67-M Pro, i5-2400 and a clean velociraptor drive.  When I run the install it copies the files, extracts them but somewhere during the install it simply says "An error was encountered during install." I did not specify any drivers when prompted during the install - do I need to load up all the drivers from the Asus CD to a USB stick and specify them when prompted (just before installation starts)?

Thanks for any advice!

Saturday, September 24, 2011 12:38 AM
  • The PCI communications controller is the Bluetooth module.  If you download the driver from Asus, extract the zip file and run the following file:

Atheros_AW_AR3011_Bluetooth_Driver\Bluetooth\Win7\Bluetooth_Suite_win7.exe

That should get the drivers installed.

As for everything else, it's pretty much the same thing.  The USB controller is a USB3.0 controller, but I think the actual chip (and MFG) varies.  You'll have to look on Asus's download page for your board:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8P67/#download

and download the drivers.  Just use the Win7x64 drivers, they work fine.

To fix the remaining two, you'll need to install the chipset drivers.  While you're at it, download the latest Intel Rapid Storage drivers too (either from Asus or from Intel).

BTW, I don't have this particular Asus board, but I just did a WHS2011 build with an Asus P8H61-I, and the same thing happened to me.  Thankfully you can download the drivers separately, but i had the same problem when trying to run some of the apps/driver installs from the included CD.  The 'trick' is to not run the Asus installer but instead to call on the .exe that the app installer is calling.

• Edited by MRego Saturday, September 24, 2011 5:55 AM
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 5:54 AM
  • Make sure that the SATA controllers are in AHCI mode (my Asus P8H61-I defaulted to IDE mode).  Beyond that make sure that your memory timings are set correctly and that the hard drive doesn't have any bad sectors too.

Saturday, September 24, 2011 5:58 AM
  • Strange, I was never able to get it to install in AHCI mode and had to use standard IDE.
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 5:38 PM