Can't I use multiple video folders for streaming? RRS feed

• Question

• Say, I have two video folders, A and B.

I do not but the files of A and B into one folder for many reasons.

If I just use normal Windows 7's DLNA feature, this would be easy. All I have to do is add A and B to my Video library. And all video files in A and B will be accessible through DLNA.

Now, with WHS 2011, it seems that I can only select one video folder such as D:\ServerFolders\Video. This folder is not a virtual folder and there seems to be no option to add another folder to the 'video' item.

The workarounds I can think of are,

1) ignore WHS 2011's DLNA feature and use it the way Windows 7 does. Use the Administrator account to create Windows Media Player's video library and manually share the library.

2) Create a symbolic link (using LinkShellExtension or something) of B into A.

But I am not sure if this is the right way. I think this is a fairly common situation. Is there any way to achieve this without using the workarounds?

Monday, March 5, 2012 1:25 PM

All replies

• Any media type that Windows Home Server is capable of streaming (i.e. it's a supported codec, and in a share that streaming is enabled for) will be streamed if that type is turned on, no matter what share it's stored in. You can choose what shares streaming is enabled for, and what types of media will be streamed, using the Dashboard.

Note that streaming media types (audio, video, photos) are chosen on a server-wide basis; if a file of that type is in any folder that streaming is turned on for, it will be available via DLNA even if e.g. it's a jpg in a folder full of audio, somewhere within the Music share.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Monday, March 5, 2012 3:17 PM
  • I have multiple folders. Movies, HomeVideos, Recorded TV and the main Videos folder. My problem is, the folders with different video content, remote access => media library => Videos, mixes all the content up with the exception of Recorded TV. Can I flag the HomeVideos folder so that it behaves like Recorded TV? (Recorded TV shows up as a folder under the main Videos folder)  

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 4:23 PM