WHS2011 - lockup w/ only share access; can't use RDC, Dashboard or mouse/keyboard RRS feed

• Question

• I have built a WHS 2011 server for home recently using some old hardware (listed below).  Everynow and then I will attempt to use the Dashboard or RDC in to the box and I can not.  I can access the shares, but the server is otherwise "locked".  The only error in the logs that I find is a few variations of this (counter name item will change and these errors occur in chunks):

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        System.ServiceModel 4.0.0.0
    Date:          5/10/2011 6:53:52 PM
    Event ID:      10
    Task Category: Performance Counter
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          LOCAL SERVICE
    Computer:      *MY SERVER NAME*
    Description:
    A performance counter was not loaded.
     Category Name: SMSvcHost 4.0.0.0
     Counter Name: Connections Dispatched over net.tcp
     Exception:System.InvalidOperationException: The requested Performance Counter is not a custom counter, it has to be initialized as ReadOnly.
       at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounter.InitializeImpl()
       at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounter.get_RawValue()
       at System.ServiceModel.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounters.GetPerformanceCounterInternal(String categoryName, String perfCounterName, String instanceName, PerformanceCounterInstanceLifetime instanceLifetime)
     Process Name: SMSvcHost
     Process ID: 1716

What would be causing the server to lock out the mouse, keyboard, and remote access capabilities but allow me to access files via the shares?

Machine info/history:
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13 Ghz
    RAM: 6GB (2x2GB + 2x1GB)
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-965P (Version 1)
    Video: GeForce 210 (PCIE)
    Network: Intel Gigabit CT (PCIE)
    HDD 0: WD 300GB Blue
    HDD 1: WD 2TB Green
    HDD 2: Hitachi 1TB
    PSU: 550W OCZ Stealh

I had some issues during the install that were overcome by locking my memory in the BIOS to the correct timings and enabling AHCI.  The onboard NIC is a Marvell Yukon based NIC that gave me nothing but problems until I installed a Server 2008 R2 driver, it was stable but slow.  I have since disabled the onboard NIC and installed a PCIE based Intel Gigabit CT card.  This build is pretty basic given the lack of a budget to add in RAID and some matching drives.

**EDIT**
    This sounds similar to the post by pksky, but it looks like he is using a different version of WHS. 

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 2:47 AM

All replies

• I have the same errors in the event log however I do not have the lockup issue.

HTH

Paul

Thursday, May 12, 2011 12:49 AM