none
Companion Content for Microsoft Official Courses using Visual Studio 2012 Express RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently taking a training course (20480B) and I have downloaded the associated content.  I do not usually develop at home, but I am interested in the topic.  Although my workplace has sent me to this course, I will not have the time to devote to the topics when I return to my workplace.   I did not have Visual Studio 2012 on my home PC.  So, I downloaded Visual Studio 2012 Express.  I have tried opening the solutions in the companion content, but they cannot be opened.  Is there some modifications I can make to the .sln files to allow me to open them in the Express version?  The training PC has Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate on it.  Any help would be appreciated. 
    P.S. - My workplace only has Visual Studio 2008 and probably will not upgrade to 2012 for at least several months. So, I would not be able to use this content there either even if I had the time to devote to new technologies there...Really hoping there is an answer to this with one of these other versions...
    Thursday, July 11, 2013 4:25 AM

Answers

• You should be able to open the projects from 20480B if you use the Web Edition of VS 2012 Express. Note that these projects also require IIS Express, which is included in VS Ultimate but is a separate download and install if you use the Express edition.

If you get an error, please post the exact message that you are seeing. A screen capture might also be helpful.

If everything else fails, there is another alternative: instead of opening the .sln files, create a new project in VS Express. Then add the contents from the original Companion Content project (basically, the .htm files, Scripts folder, and in some cases, the contents from the Controllers and Views folders).

Thursday, July 11, 2013 5:42 AM

All replies

• You should be able to open the projects from 20480B if you use the Web Edition of VS 2012 Express. Note that these projects also require IIS Express, which is included in VS Ultimate but is a separate download and install if you use the Express edition.

If you get an error, please post the exact message that you are seeing. A screen capture might also be helpful.

If everything else fails, there is another alternative: instead of opening the .sln files, create a new project in VS Express. Then add the contents from the original Companion Content project (basically, the .htm files, Scripts folder, and in some cases, the contents from the Controllers and Views folders).

Thursday, July 11, 2013 5:42 AM
  • Thanks.  I had downloaded the incorrect version of 2012.  Works like a charm now! 
    Friday, July 12, 2013 1:24 AM