Cannot open settings RRS feed

• Question

• On my hub PC, when I try to open Change settings, I get the following dialogue box.

Cannot open settings

Unknown problems are preventings settings from being displayed at this time. Please try again later. If the problem persists, contact support.

Get help

If I clcik on Get Help, it says No questions and answers were found matching your issue.

Anyone have a work around?

Dawg.

Friday, July 13, 2007 3:23 PM

Answers

• I hope this is the case with everyone having this issue- but todays (25/07/2007) wloc automatic update has corrected the issue (atleast on my system).  And i am curious to find out what had caused the issue in the first place?
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 3:25 AM

All replies

• So far, the only information I've seen on this is that the problem could be caused by some of the Default services being shut off in Windows. Can you open a support case from within Help?

-steve

Friday, July 13, 2007 5:28 PM
  • Hello,

Try un-installing running the cleanup in the old Install Forum and then install. Don't forget to reboot after each proccess.

Eric

Friday, July 13, 2007 5:29 PM
  • I've answered this question in another thread of this forum.

Just restart all the default services and restart your computer, it should be ok!

Friday, July 13, 2007 6:00 PM
  • Ok, how do I do that.

And for the record, I did turn off the backup feature. Perhaps that is what caused it.

Thx for the reply.

Dawg.

Sunday, July 15, 2007 5:52 AM
  • I've already tried re-starting  services to correct this issue on my system

run-services.msc
    stop One care fire wall
    stop One care virus
    stop Windows live One care

and re-start all 3 of them again

this did not resolve the issue

*the idea is NOT to re-install WLOC 2.0
    Monday, July 16, 2007 1:58 AM
  •  suny wrote:

I've answered this question in another thread of this forum.

Just restart all the default services and restart your computer, it should be ok!

Suny, I checked your other threads. For me, its not the printer spool. Mine is started and set to auto.

Dawg.

Monday, July 16, 2007 2:27 AM
  • Please restart all the default services, and set them automatic.
    Monday, July 16, 2007 2:46 AM
  • Suny, which services are the default ones? How am I supposed to know this/

Thx in advance.

Dawg.

Monday, July 16, 2007 3:31 AM
  • I've posted the list of all default services in another thread:

My list of services:

http://folders.live.com/self.aspx/laJ2sidt9lg/Sun/onecare.csv

Monday, July 16, 2007 4:58 AM
  • I've been trying to resolve the issue myself for a while and here's the info i've been able to get from tech support since everything thus far hasn't worked in resolving the issue:
    "

This issue is caused by the corrupted MSXML components. To troubleshoot this issue, I suggest we manually reinstall the MSXML components:

Step 1: Uninstall MSXML

==================

1. Click Start, click Run, type "appwiz.cpl" (without quotation marks) in the Open box, and then click OK.

2. Select "MSXML 4.0 SP2 Parser and SDK" from the list and click Remove to uninstall.

3. Restart the computer.

Step 2: Reinstall MSXML

==================

1. Please download and install MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 (Microsoft XML Core Services) from the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.aspx?na=46&p=1&SrcDisplayLang=en&SrcCategoryId=&SrcFamilyId=3144b72b-b4f2-46da-b4b6-c5d7485f2b42&u=http%3a%2f%2fdownload.microsoft.com%2fdownload%2f9%2f6%2f5%2f9657c01e-107f-409c-baac-7d249561629c%2fmsxml.msi

2. Please download and install Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML) 3.0 Service Pack 7 (SP7):

http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/8/8/888f34b7-4f54-4f06-8dac-fa29b19f33dd/msxml3.msi

Note: Since the above URL address is quite long, please copy and paste it to the address bar to access it, rather than clicking the hyperlink directly.

3. Restart the computer.

"
    tech-support

good luck....

Saturday, July 21, 2007 5:20 AM
  • This did not work for me.  I am still having the problem.

Thanks.

Sunday, July 22, 2007 9:36 PM
  • Has anyone found a solution to this problem??   Is the OC team working on a solution, because I am still having the problem and I do not want to reinstall!

Thanks.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 6:23 PM
  • Hi, Ken. I haven't heard anything new on this one. The solution that some reported as working was to start services that may be depended on by OneCare, but I don't have details beyond what was already posted here. I did report this issue in my write-up to the OneCare team about forum activity this past week, so I know that they are aware of the problem.

Have you opened a support case on it? http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2

-steve

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 6:50 PM
  • here's the latest idea from tech support on this problem:  I should mention it did not work on my system- but then again- trying beats re-installing......

good luck

"This issue can be caused by corrupted .NET Framework components. To troubleshoot this issue, I suggest we use the following steps to reinstall .NET Framework:

Step 1:

===============

1. Click Start, click Run, type "appwiz.cpl" (without quotation marks) in the Open box, and then click OK.

2. Select all .NET Framework 2.0 related entries from the programs list and click Remove to uninstall them. If you encounter any error message during the uninstallation, please ignore it. If there is no error, steps 3-6 are not necessary.

3. Please download the Windows Installer Cleanup utility from this link and save it to the Desktop:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/9/D/E9D80355-7AB4-45B8-80E8-983A48D5E1BD/msicuu2.exe

4. Double click the msicuu2.exe file and follow the wizard to install this program.

5. Run the utility from Start -> All Programs -> Windows Install Clean Up.

6. Select all .NET Framework 2.0 entries from the list and click Remove.

Step 2:

================

Please download and install .NET Framework 2.0 from the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&DisplayLang=en

After performing the above steps, please check if we can open Windows Live OneCare properly. If the problem persists, we may need to reinstall OneCare.

Support Engineer

Windows Live OneCare Technical Support"

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 11:43 PM
  • Always worth trying. Thanks for keeping us updated. If you have not already done so, can you file a bug on Connect for this?

http://connect.microsoft.com/site/sitehome.aspx?SiteID=168

-steve

Thursday, July 26, 2007 1:34 AM
  • I hope this is the case with everyone having this issue- but todays (25/07/2007) wloc automatic update has corrected the issue (atleast on my system).  And i am curious to find out what had caused the issue in the first place?
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 3:25 AM
  • After the update I can now access my setting.  The update did the trick!

Thursday, July 26, 2007 12:07 PM
  •  JayHawk012 wrote:
    I hope this is the case with everyone having this issue- but todays (25/07/2007) wloc automatic update has corrected the issue (atleast on my system).  And i am curious to find out what had caused the issue in the first place?

Apparently a bug that got squashed.

-steve

Thursday, July 26, 2007 2:58 PM
  • How do I know which services are the default ones?

Florence Hamilton-Dicker
    Monday, July 30, 2007 7:38 AM
  •  Florence Hamilton-Dicker wrote:

How do I know which services are the default ones?

Florence Hamilton-Dicker

I'm not sure which services are the ones suny referred to originally, but based on your other psots, I believe you are running 1.6 and not the 2.0 beta, which this thread refers to.

-steve

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 1:38 AM
  • I FILLOWED THE FIRST TWO STEPS, RE-BOOTED AND THE PROBLEM RESOLVED ITSELF.  THANKS
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 7:49 PM
  • I FILLOWED THE FIRST TWO STEPS, RE-BOOTED AND THE PROBLEM RESOLVED ITSELF.  THANKS

Glad to see that the forum posts helped solve your problem.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 12:28 PM