Visual Studio 2013 vs Certifications RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I started study for MCSD(480,486,487), when VS2013 released and I had only 2 of 3 certification needed for MCSD, I can take last one with new certifications?eg: I have Visual studio 2012 certs 480 and 486, but new certifications was been released, so, I can take 487 with Visual Studio 2013. Am I Right?

Sunday, September 22, 2013 2:43 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Certifications are fixed on a product version and will not apply to newer versions. So if you pass exams for MCSD om Visual 2012 then they not apply to Visual Studio 2013 when this becomes available.

If have done over 35 MS exams since 1996 from NT 3.51/NT4/2000/2003/2008 up to Server 2012. To stay up to date you will need to need to keep doing exams.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

MCSE:Server Infrastructure, MCSE:Desktop Infrastructure, MCSA Server 2012, Citrix CCIA & CCEE, Cisco CCNA, VMware VCP 3/4/5 Twitter: @dnyvandam http://www.dannyvandam.net

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 8:43 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

I don't know if I get your questions right, but there shouldn't be any VS 2013 certifications yet, because it is still a Release Candidate and isn't released yet. 487 is part of the VS 2012 certifications, so if there are any IDE specific questions it will be covering VS 2012.

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

@Horizon_Net | Blog

Sunday, September 22, 2013 5:20 PM
    Answerer
  • thanks for your anwser.  I wanna know if have a "retrocompatibility" in new MS certifications model.  If I take a exam VS2012 still valid for MCSD with VS2013. I am studying for MCSD, when I get second required exam, the vs2013 probably was released. So, i want know if my previous certification will be valid for MCSD vs2013 instead vs2012.

I read the following note in MS Site:

Q.How will the upcoming Visual Studio 2013 and Windows 8.1 updates impact official Microsoft training and certifications?
    A.

As new technology is released into the market, the associated official Microsoft training and certifications will be updated over time to cover this new content.

Q.I have already started down the path to earn a certification on one of the technologies that will be updated. What should I do?
    A.

We encourage you to continue down the path for your certification. Exams that are currently in market will continue to count towards credit for the associated certification, and courses that are in market are a great way to help you prepare. We will provide advance notice for any changes made to our courses, exams, or certifications. Check back again for more information.

source: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/visual-studio-certification.aspx

But doubts remains. =/

• Proposed as answer by Danny van DamMVP, Editor Monday, September 23, 2013 9:36 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Crown99 Tuesday, September 24, 2013 12:15 AM
    • Edited by Crown99 Tuesday, September 24, 2013 12:17 AM
    Monday, September 23, 2013 5:34 PM
  • Hi,

Certifications are fixed on a product version and will not apply to newer versions. So if you pass exams for MCSD om Visual 2012 then they not apply to Visual Studio 2013 when this becomes available.

If have done over 35 MS exams since 1996 from NT 3.51/NT4/2000/2003/2008 up to Server 2012. To stay up to date you will need to need to keep doing exams.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

MCSE:Server Infrastructure, MCSE:Desktop Infrastructure, MCSA Server 2012, Citrix CCIA & CCEE, Cisco CCNA, VMware VCP 3/4/5 Twitter: @dnyvandam http://www.dannyvandam.net

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 8:43 AM
    Answerer