none
How to get a MCSD certification? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am a Postgraduate in Computer Applications and  also have 3 Years of experience in C# and C++ .So I am experienced in Networking Multitheading and ImageProcessing Applications. But I dont know how much it will help me  to attain certification. So just I would like to know

How much time do I need to complete MCSD course?

how much it will cost?

Shall I get any learning centre nearby my areas(I am in London)?/Do you provide learning materials through online?

Lisha

Monday, October 4, 2010 12:18 AM

Answers

• Hi,

First you should check, if MCSD is really the certification you want to get. The MCSD is the old .Net Framework 1.0 / 1.1 certification.

Please check http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-vstudio.aspx#tab3 for the new certifications available (MCPD).

So ar I did the courses all on my own without training. I always got the Self-Paced Training Kits from MSPress and worked through it. I really played around with the technology described in each chapter to know it exactly.) When I was done I got the practice Tests of MeasureUp (SelfTestSoftware also offers them!). In there I not just used it to answer the questions correctly - I was only satisfied with my knowledge if I was able to select the right answer and tell exactly, why the answer is correct and reasons why the other answers was wrong.

After that I went to prometric, registered for the test, went there relaxed (I normaly spend one day before with no learning at all. Just relax so you are calmed down in the test.) and did the test.

That was at least for me a very good way to do the exams and I think that it is also a quite cheap way. If you want to read more documentation, you could have a look at the Microsoft eReference Library. I got that and I really like it. Whenever I get to a topic that I didn't work on so far, I just look for a book and take some time to read a few chapters about it before doing anything.

Just as small information - not related to your question: Not really required for the MCPD but one book that I really liked was "CLR with C# 3rd Edition" which gives a great introduction into some deeper stuff. It is not really part of any exam but I found it very helpfull to get a deeper understanding what is going on exactly.

I hope I was able to help you a little.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Monday, October 4, 2010 11:44 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

First you should check, if MCSD is really the certification you want to get. The MCSD is the old .Net Framework 1.0 / 1.1 certification.

Please check http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-vstudio.aspx#tab3 for the new certifications available (MCPD).

So ar I did the courses all on my own without training. I always got the Self-Paced Training Kits from MSPress and worked through it. I really played around with the technology described in each chapter to know it exactly.) When I was done I got the practice Tests of MeasureUp (SelfTestSoftware also offers them!). In there I not just used it to answer the questions correctly - I was only satisfied with my knowledge if I was able to select the right answer and tell exactly, why the answer is correct and reasons why the other answers was wrong.

After that I went to prometric, registered for the test, went there relaxed (I normaly spend one day before with no learning at all. Just relax so you are calmed down in the test.) and did the test.

That was at least for me a very good way to do the exams and I think that it is also a quite cheap way. If you want to read more documentation, you could have a look at the Microsoft eReference Library. I got that and I really like it. Whenever I get to a topic that I didn't work on so far, I just look for a book and take some time to read a few chapters about it before doing anything.

Just as small information - not related to your question: Not really required for the MCPD but one book that I really liked was "CLR with C# 3rd Edition" which gives a great introduction into some deeper stuff. It is not really part of any exam but I found it very helpfull to get a deeper understanding what is going on exactly.

I hope I was able to help you a little.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Monday, October 4, 2010 11:44 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Konrad,

Thanks a lot for a very informative reply. I didnt know where and how to start.  Really you given  me a proper direction to start with MCTS training first ,I will upgrade into MCPD also. 

Thank you once again

Lisha

Monday, October 4, 2010 11:05 PM