I hate forced auto-reboot for updates! RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

This is a rant, but I absolutely hate the fact that in order for my status under Windows Live One Care to show my computer as "Not At Risk" I must have Automatic Updates enabled so that my computer automatically reboots when there is a critial update. That's practically EVERY TUESDAY!

What if I have critical documents open and want to resume work on Wednesday? What were they? What was I working on? Were they saved?

UNTIL YOU CAN RESTORE MY USER SESSION EXACTLY WHERE I LEFT OFF, DON'T PRESUME TO REBOOT MY MACHINE!

I'm totally fine with seeing a dialog box that says I must reboot in order to finish installing critical security updates - but let ME drive.

I know I can change the auto-update settings so that they download but don't finish installing, but then my WLOC status shows "AT RISK" even though I've done it on purpose. This only serves to cover up any real risk that may occure as I will now ignore it.

Thats all. Thanks for listening.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 3:11 PM

All replies

• Rant received loud and clear.

I won't repeat in detail my perspective, but it basically agrees with you. I feel that the requirement is too simplistic and that OneCare should accept any option of AU turned on as a valid state. Only if updates are offered and not installed, should the status go to at risk - yellow, and if an update is still ignored and not applied, then red status. I'm on the fence about letting OneCare apply the update and force the reboot after a predetermined number of days that the patch was not applied after being offered.

On the other hand, you really shouldn't be leaving any documents open in an unsaved state for an extended period of time. Computers do shut down, crash, lose power, etc.

-steve

Thursday, December 13, 2007 2:24 AM