laptop missing the installation cd RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have bought a laptop, a dell latitude d600. It is used and it did not came with an installation cd. It uses XP home edition, i have the Product key, but i need the programme to be able to format the laptop. If i format it without having an installation cd how could i run XP on it again ? I was wondering if it is possible to get the programme and just burn it on a CD so I will be able to format the laptop and then just reinstall  the programme.

Friday, September 8, 2006 8:53 PM

Answers

• Nachtengel,

To obtain a replacement Dell Operating System Reinstallation CD, please contact Dell Customer Service for your specific country.  They will ship a CD to you for a nominal fee.  In the same contact, it would be a good idea to notify Dell of your purchase of the computer so that they can have you as the owner of record in case of recalls or theft of the laptop.

Starting around February, 2005, Dell installed Dell PC Restore by Symantec on many of its computers shipped outside of the USA.  (USA shipments of PC Restore-equipped Dells started Jul 14, 2004).  PC Restore is a hidden recovery partition that will reimage the Dell computer to brnad-new-out-of-the-box condition.  To see if your Dell has it, at the Dell logo at startup, press CTRL +F11. 

Saturday, September 9, 2006 2:52 AM

All replies

•  nachtengel wrote:

Hi,

I have bought a laptop, a dell latitude d600. It is used and it did not came with an installation cd. It uses XP home edition, i have the Product key, but i need the programme to be able to format the laptop. If i format it without having an installation cd how could i run XP on it again ? I was wondering if it is possible to get the programme and just burn it on a CD so I will be able to format the laptop and then just reinstall  the programme.

How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246/en-us

Saturday, September 9, 2006 12:27 AM
  • Nachtengel,

To obtain a replacement Dell Operating System Reinstallation CD, please contact Dell Customer Service for your specific country.  They will ship a CD to you for a nominal fee.  In the same contact, it would be a good idea to notify Dell of your purchase of the computer so that they can have you as the owner of record in case of recalls or theft of the laptop.

Starting around February, 2005, Dell installed Dell PC Restore by Symantec on many of its computers shipped outside of the USA.  (USA shipments of PC Restore-equipped Dells started Jul 14, 2004).  PC Restore is a hidden recovery partition that will reimage the Dell computer to brnad-new-out-of-the-box condition.  To see if your Dell has it, at the Dell logo at startup, press CTRL +F11. 

Saturday, September 9, 2006 2:52 AM