UPS!! RRS feed

• Question

• One of the often overlooked way to protect "servers" is to install a good UPS system.  Nowadays, you can buy a good UPS in most electronic shops.  WHS should encourage this by making it easy to add a UPS to the server ecosystem and to manage it properly.  I know, buried in the Windows Server OS is (limited) support for APC UPS but we need to open this up to more manufacturer and to make streamline it for "normal" people.
    Sunday, March 25, 2007 9:53 PM

Answers

• I run an APC UPS using the built in windows support and it works fine. Granted I had to configure the monitoring using the console but most people who will install a UPS will know to log into the console to do so. One issue I see is that it runs Windows Server and most desktop UPS products detect and refuse to install on the Server OS.

I'm more worried about the LACK of UPS support in VISTA. Now my other PC's on the UPS have no idea if and when the power fails at night!!!

Monday, March 26, 2007 11:45 AM

All replies

• I suggest entering feedback in the connect site.
    Sunday, March 25, 2007 10:08 PM
  • I run an APC UPS using the built in windows support and it works fine. Granted I had to configure the monitoring using the console but most people who will install a UPS will know to log into the console to do so. One issue I see is that it runs Windows Server and most desktop UPS products detect and refuse to install on the Server OS.

I'm more worried about the LACK of UPS support in VISTA. Now my other PC's on the UPS have no idea if and when the power fails at night!!!

Monday, March 26, 2007 11:45 AM