Migration to New Install (New OS Drive, Including all Computer Backups) RRS feed

• Question

• Current Setup:
    Single 1TB 5400rpm drive (as system drive)
    10x1.5TB Data Drives

New Setup (New Underlying Hardware, will be up and running separate from the original machine):
    20x1.5TB Hard Drives in Raid 6, Partitioned to volumes (2TB?) so that WHS will accept the sizes, while allowing me to have terabytes of data being backed up.

I have reinstalled my WHS OS on my current machine, so I understand this much. I built to original from scratch so I have that as well.
    I understand how to migrate the shared folders and normal files on my server to the new one, but I have NO idea how I would go about transferring the computer backups to the new machine.

One idea, although I don't know how useful it would be, would be to image the current OS drive (as well as all of the data drives?) and duplicate that image into a newly create volume in the main array, and then reinstall the OS from these new drives. I could theoretically duplicate the entire drive system from the original OS into the new machine, and have it reinstall there (assuming I would need to, because of the immense hardware changes [going from a simple dual core amd system {low power} to a high end quad core intel machine {ridiculous power, a year old gaming machine turned insane server}])

Thank you ahead of time.
    Friday, July 31, 2009 6:13 PM

Answers