The Storage Drives RRS feed

• Question

• If I remove a "Storage Drive", (let's say my motherboard crashed and I am left with my 6 storage drives and no working WHS) and attach it to another computer, are the files readable with the same files names?
    Wednesday, December 24, 2008 2:44 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    WHS uses normal NTFS file system, Drive Extender is only taking care about how the data will be distributed over the disks. The data on your shared folders can be found on one or two of the disks (depending from the amount of data and the usage of duplication for the shared folder on different disks) in the subfolder shares of the hidden folder DE.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by adamb2000 Wednesday, December 24, 2008 4:49 PM
    Wednesday, December 24, 2008 4:58 AM

All replies

• I have moved 6 storage drives to a new machine with a new sys drive (old sys ad MOBO crashed) and rebuilt the server install.
    No data loss.  Just had to rebuild users and server plug ins.
    Wednesday, December 24, 2008 4:05 AM
  • Good to know, thanks.

Also would like to know if I hung one off a win XP machine would it be seen as a readable drive with understandable file names?
    Wednesday, December 24, 2008 4:11 AM
  • Hi,
    WHS uses normal NTFS file system, Drive Extender is only taking care about how the data will be distributed over the disks. The data on your shared folders can be found on one or two of the disks (depending from the amount of data and the usage of duplication for the shared folder on different disks) in the subfolder shares of the hidden folder DE.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by adamb2000 Wednesday, December 24, 2008 4:49 PM
    Wednesday, December 24, 2008 4:58 AM