WHS File Copy Issue (from WHS) RRS feed

• Question

• Many times a transfer from (not to) the WHS will be extremely slow or start out fast and then becomes extremely slow.

Sometimes it is necessary to stop the transfer totally (which takes a long time on xp or vista) or if I leave it going for ten minutes or so it may go back to full speed.

I can still view the files normally. For example: if it is a movie file, I can play it at full speed and seek around the file without error.

This problem is driving me crazy and I'm beginning to regret this purchase. I may get rid of the WHS and just get a regular NAS.

I hope someone can help.

Thanks.
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 2:37 AM

Answers

• whsissue said: I have never had a drive failure on WHS before. Will removing it through the console try to salvage files? Or do you lose everything that isn't duplicated? Will it try to pull files off but then fail due to drive issues?

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. It's an almost full 1TB.

Hi....
    As kariya suggested I it is likely that one of the drives is dying. Also I agree with your conclusion that the drive that has problems is likely the one that  hung chkdsk.  Best would be to remove it ASAP as Kariya indicated.  To be honest I have no personal experience on handling a dying drive in WHS, so from here I can only tell you what I know "from the book".

Personally I think you now have two options:

1. Try to copy of files that are not duplicated first, then remove the drive from the WHS storage pool.
    2. Try to remove the failing drive through the console right now.

For option 1 you can shut down WHS and physically disconnect the problematic drive and connect it to another PC. From there you can try to copy off any files you want to salvage. After this physically reconnect the drive to WHS to remove it from the WHS pool (option 2). This option is not the "official" way to handle a failing drive, but might give you more chances to save just "that one important file" - and possibly loose the rest in the process.

Personally I would go directly for the option 2. This is because chances are that the problems will become worse by the hour and get to a point where the drive totally fails. So waiting (and/or any reading/writing to the drive in general) will lower your chances of WHS saving your data (files and/or PC backups).

Option 1 or 2? At this point I can not advise you on this.

Removing the failing drive from the pool - How to go about:

• Make sure you have enough free space in the storage pool for WHS to move your data off the drive you are about to remove. If necessary add an additional disk to the pool. Do *not* disable duplication as this might get you into more trouble!
    • Check that none of your files are in use by other applications (through the shares or on the server)
    • Go to the WHS Console's 'Storage Tab'.
    • From the list of storage drive and right-click the drive you want to remove.
    • WHS will start doing it's magic and possibly infrom you on files you may loose when going through the removal process.

Good luck!
    Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Friday, March 6, 2009 10:28 PM

All replies

• If you reboot your router does the copy speed improve?
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 3:12 AM
  • No, rebooting the router doesn't improve this issue. I've tried many computers and it's definitely a WHS issue and not the client system.
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 4:47 PM
  • You don't give us a lot of information to work with, unfortunately. Is your home network gigabit Ethernet or 100 megabit? Is it fully wired, or are some clients wireless? If it's gigabit, are you using jumbo frames? If you're using jumbo frames, can all of your devices properly process jumbo frames? Is your server home-built or an OEM unit such as the HP MediaSmart? Have you tried (in no particular order):
    • (Assuming a home-built server) Updating drivers on your server?
    • A different network cable for your server?
    • A different port for your server's connection to your switch or router?
    • (Assuming a home-built server) A different network interface?
    • Updating your server using the Update button in the console?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 4:53 PM
  • Ken,

I didn't have this problem until the last month or so. When initiating a transfer from the WHS to a client, the files will start off as fast as normal and then slow to practically nothing... even to a standstill sometimes. Once and a while if I let it sit long enough they increase back to normal speed and other times I have to end the process or even restart the system because the file transfer is hung. This is honestly driving me crazy to the point where I'm ready to trash most of my files and sell the WHS. Why would I be able to view the files remotely and not transfer them off?
    • The network is gigabit.
    • I am using Jumbo frames, but I wasn't before and enabled them. Then I went back when I saw it didn't work.
    • All my components can support jumbo frames.

• (Assuming a home-built server) Updating drivers on your server
    It is a HP EX470 with 1x500gb 3x1tb

• A different network cable for your server?
    Yes, I have.

• A different port for your server's connection to your switch or router?
    Yes, I have.

• Updating your server using the Update button in the console?
    Yes, I have.

Sunday, March 1, 2009 5:27 PM
  • Hi,

In the Console, what sort of space do you have available on your Server, also, have you installed anything, or copied anything to the Server recently, or installed anything new on your Clients,(new Virus software)?
    It's certainly not normal and hasn't been reported by others, so we need to figure out what's different with your setup.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 6:12 PM
  • Total size: 3.18TB
    Free Space: 610.37GB

I have not installed anything new on my clients. I also tried three different computers (windows 7 32-bit, windows vista 64-bit, windows xp 32-bit) and they all have the same problem so it's definitely on the WHS side.

I have not installed any addons to the server lately.

I have tried changing QoS settings, Flow control, jumbo packet sizes... tons of things and nothing has seemed to help.

Could this be an issue with a certain HD on the system? It seems very strange, but nothing I have done has made a difference.
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 9:05 PM
  • Hi,

Clutching at straws as it's so unusual.
    On the recent downloads for WHS, it hasn't enabled the 'new' Windows Search function? That's been known to really slow down operations.
    There are a couple of pages of info that might just provide some help, I know they're Vista oriented, but might help:
    One;
    Two;
    Also, trying something like RoboCopy would help to isolate the possible cause.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 9:34 PM
  • Colin,

Where would i look to find the "recent downloads" to check if the 'new' Windows Search function is enabled?

Thanks for the Vista links, but I'm 100% sure its not a client problem. I have no trouble copying files to and from vista to my other boxes.

Also, could you be more specific on how I could use RoboCopy to isolate the possible cause? I think I know where you are going with it, but I want to be sure.

This problem seem to only affect certain files while others seem to copy fine. Then others copy about 1/5 slower (about 10mb/s) but still copy.

Thanks.
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 11:56 PM
  • whsissue said:

Could this be an issue with a certain HD on the system? It seems very strange, but nothing I have done has made a difference.

Hi,

Possibly... (see this thread where a user describes similar problems as the result of a bad HD))
    Anything unusual in the WHS eventlist?

I would also check CPU/Memory resources (RDP to the WHS desktop and start taskmanager)?
    Theo.

Monday, March 2, 2009 5:32 PM
  • Can you try running chkdsk on all of the drives in your server? There's a FAQ here that tells you how to do this fairly simply.
    Monday, March 2, 2009 8:43 PM
  • Ken Warren said:

Can you try running chkdsk on all of the drives in your server? There's a FAQ here that tells you how to do this fairly simply.

Ken,

Thanks for the help. I followed the post's directions but ended up with this error:

"C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop>chkdsk /x /r
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
    process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be
    checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N) n"

Theo,

The CPU/Memory resources look good and I didn't see anything unusual in the WHS eventlist.

Also, I think that most of the problems are coming from a single drive. I have to test more when I get home from work, but I think the "V" folder (drive) in the c:\fs\ directory is the one having the issues. I am not 100% sure, but if this was the case, how could I go about getting the files off of the drive? Should I try to take it out and hook it up to another computer to pull off? Would that cause WHS to totally glitch out?

Like I said, I'm not sure, but it's all I've got to go on right now. I'll report back when I get home. Hopefully Ken can help me to run chkdsk correctly and it will either fix or tell me the problems with this drive (if this is indeed the problem).

Thanks!
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 4:11 PM
  • The message is fairly normal. I would recommend answering yes. :) The rest of the batch file should work fine; you'll see a bunch of errors while it's working however. Just don't try to access your server at all while it's running and you'll be fine.
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 6:18 PM
  • Thanks for the quick response. I'm doing this over a remote connection. I had some trouble with a stuck chkdsk loop in the past so I just wanted to make sure it was fine.

It may be preemptive, but I now have three command windows open and they have all been at "CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)..." for about 30 minutes. I do not see a percentage complete at all. Is this normal?

Thanks for all the help.
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 7:41 PM
  • It may be preemptive, but I now have three command windows open and they have all been at "CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)..." for about 30 minutes. I do not see a percentage complete at all. Is this normal?

Yep,
    Depending on the number of files stored on the drive this can take some time - even several hours.
    Just be patient and let it run.

Theo.

Tuesday, March 3, 2009 7:47 PM
  • Theo van Elsberg said:

It may be preemptive, but I now have three command windows open and they have all been at "CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)..." for about 30 minutes. I do not see a percentage complete at all. Is this normal?

Yep,
    Depending on the number of files stored on the drive this can take some time - even several hours.
    Just be patient and let it run.

Theo.

Theo,

Last I checked, one of the windows was at 33% and the others still didn't show anything past (stage 4 of 5). I came back a few hours later and the one that was showing 33% was gone (finished and closed?) and the other two are still hung with no percentage showing.

This has been going for hours now. I'll leave it overnight and see what happens.

UPDATE: Woke up this morning and one of the chkdsk command line boxes was at 11% and the other still shows no percentage readout. This has been 12+ hours now... I'm guessing there is something seriously wrong? I'll let it continue to run throughout the day.

Thanks.
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 4:38 AM
  • Still at the same place 24 hours later... one finished and must have closed, one doesn't list any percentage finished, and the other is stuck at 11%..... I'm out of ideas now. Do I just end the chkdsk processes?

UDPATE: After one of the chkdsk processes was hung for over 24 hours (at 11%) I killed it. Using process manager I found it was not doing anything. Now chkdsk is going again from the last of the three. I'll leave it while I go to work.

The one that hung at 11% was the disc that I believe to be having issues... anyone have any ideas?
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 10:48 PM
  • Bump for someone who is thoroughly stuck
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 7:48 PM
  • Does anyone know what to do when chkdsk runs so slow on a drive that it would virtually take forever to finish? Obviously something is wrong with this drive, but I don't get any errors and I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks.
    Friday, March 6, 2009 12:35 AM
  • whsissue said:

Does anyone know what to do when chkdsk runs so slow on a drive that it would virtually take forever to finish? Obviously something is wrong with this drive, but I don't get any errors and I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks.

It sounds to me like that drive is dying.  My suggestion would be to remove it through the Console ASAP (before it gets any worse).
    Friday, March 6, 2009 5:03 AM
  • kariya21 said:

whsissue said:

Does anyone know what to do when chkdsk runs so slow on a drive that it would virtually take forever to finish? Obviously something is wrong with this drive, but I don't get any errors and I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks.

It sounds to me like that drive is dying.  My suggestion would be to remove it through the Console ASAP (before it gets any worse).

I have never had a drive failure on WHS before. Will removing it through the console try to salvage files? Or do you lose everything that isn't duplicated? Will it try to pull files off but then fail due to drive issues?

Friday, March 6, 2009 2:49 PM
  • I manually started CHKDSK on my WHS and it's running since yesterday morning. I had 4 windows opened. 1 just finished and closed. 3 windows remaining, one is moving up in percentage while 2 others does nothing, just a blinking underscore. It's really slow, but I think I'm getting somewhere. The first one that just finished, showed no errors. Let's continue and wait...

Klode

Edit: One of the 2 windows doing nothing just started and the percentage started increasing...

So, yes you should let it do its work, it's long but let it go.
    Friday, March 6, 2009 3:24 PM
  • whsissue said: I have never had a drive failure on WHS before. Will removing it through the console try to salvage files? Or do you lose everything that isn't duplicated? Will it try to pull files off but then fail due to drive issues?

Hi....
    As kariya suggested I it is likely that one of the drives is dying. Also I agree with your conclusion that the drive that has problems is likely the one that  hung chkdsk.  Best would be to remove it ASAP as Kariya indicated.  To be honest I have no personal experience on handling a dying drive in WHS, so from here I can only tell you what I know "from the book".

Personally I think you now have two options:

1. Try to copy of files that are not duplicated first, then remove the drive from the WHS storage pool.
    2. Try to remove the failing drive through the console right now.

For option 1 you can shut down WHS and physically disconnect the problematic drive and connect it to another PC. From there you can try to copy off any files you want to salvage. After this physically reconnect the drive to WHS to remove it from the WHS pool (option 2). This option is not the "official" way to handle a failing drive, but might give you more chances to save just "that one important file" - and possibly loose the rest in the process.

Personally I would go directly for the option 2. This is because chances are that the problems will become worse by the hour and get to a point where the drive totally fails. So waiting (and/or any reading/writing to the drive in general) will lower your chances of WHS saving your data (files and/or PC backups).

Option 1 or 2? At this point I can not advise you on this.

Removing the failing drive from the pool - How to go about:

• Make sure you have enough free space in the storage pool for WHS to move your data off the drive you are about to remove. If necessary add an additional disk to the pool. Do *not* disable duplication as this might get you into more trouble!
    • Check that none of your files are in use by other applications (through the shares or on the server)
    • Go to the WHS Console's 'Storage Tab'.
    • From the list of storage drive and right-click the drive you want to remove.
    • WHS will start doing it's magic and possibly infrom you on files you may loose when going through the removal process.

Good luck!
    Theo.

Friday, March 6, 2009 10:28 PM
  • Thanks for the help. I removed the problem drive from my WHS server and attached it to another computer via sata.

A basic chkdsk shows no problems on the drive, but I have the same issues when copying files. I can successfully play (and skip around) a large divx file, but I cannot copy it without stalling. Very strange problem.

A full chkdsk with "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" causes the speed to drop to one file processed per 20 seconds or so... at this rate it would probably take weeks to finish if it doesn't become stuck at some point.

Does anyone know what this could mean? I've tried googling it, but can't find anything.

I can't seem to pull any files off this drive... a full 1 TB :(
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 12:15 PM
  • The problem with chkdsk is indicative of a failing drive. As for how to deal with it, WHS handles a failed drive much more gracefully than one that's failing. You can try to remove it using the WHS Console; that may fail because of the problems with the drive.If it does, the standard procedure is to turn the failing drive into a failed drive by shutting down your server and physically removing it from the server. Then restart. The drive will show as Missing in the Console, and will be easy to remove. You should accept any warnings about files that you may lose, or backups.

Once you've removed the drive, you can try to recover files from it by connecting it to another PC. That may not be very successful and (if you had duplicaiton turned on for all your shares) may not even be necessary. If you received a warning that you could lose backups, run the backup repair tool in the Console and accept that you've lose some/all your backups.

Saturday, March 7, 2009 2:28 PM
  • I let it run and shot through a large section of the test so it finished in a few hours.

It said there were no problems found!

I then downloaded and ran the Hitachi drive diagnostic tool which took a few hours and also found no problems.

I'm stumped now.
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 6:53 PM
  • whsissue said:

I let it run and shot through a large section of the test so it finished in a few hours.

I then downloaded and ran the Hitachi drive diagnostic tool which took a few hours and also found no problems.

I'm stumped now.

When you try to copy via the command line using a tool like robocopy, what error message do you get or does it just hang?

I assume that you were copying using explorer before?
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 2:05 AM
  • Lara Jones said:

When you try to copy via the command line using a tool like robocopy, what error message do you get or does it just hang?

I assume that you were copying using explorer before?

I was using explorer before, but I also used fastcopy and there was no error... it just slowed down to a crawl on certain files during reads. Writes to the drive are performed at full speed.

I also posted this problem on another forum w/a few screenshots:
    http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1033814662#post1033814662

Sunday, March 8, 2009 2:49 AM
  • whsissue said:

I let it run and shot through a large section of the test so it finished in a few hours.
    I'm stumped now.

All this on a different PC then your WHS Sever?

As the drive definitely shows reading problems - with HD Tach confirming this - I would first try rebuilding the partition (remove partition, create new, full format) and try again. If you still get the same behavior (and presuming the drive is still under guarantee) you could contact the reseller on option for a RMA.

Theo.

Sunday, March 8, 2009 11:15 AM
  • Theo,

Thanks. I guess that is the only option that I'm left with. I appreciate the help.

BTW - I don't know much about the HD Tach graph, but I'm guessing the large downward spikes show the faulty reading speeds?
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 2:55 PM
  • Yes. The downward spikes show regions on the drive where the reading speeds tested (far) below average reading speeds. Although there are several factors that can cause this (drivers, cabling, ...), considering the fact that you drive shows reading problems on physically different hardware tells my the drive has a problem.

Theo.

Monday, March 9, 2009 8:34 AM
  • whsissue said:

I'm stumped now.

I just replaced a WD Drive doing a similar thing with periods of very slow reads.  eg, the WD "Quick" test should take 2mins but sometimes on this drive it took 20mins but it always "passed" - anyway used WHS to backup the PC, replaced the drive and rebuilt it.  As drives are relativly cheap, I'd replace it now even if it takes hours to move the data off.
    Monday, March 9, 2009 11:03 AM