how to validate the "second copy of the Software Product..." RRS feed

• Question

• A little background to get the context right.

I purchased a laptop with Vista Home premium. 
    I also own retail unopened copies of Vista ultimate and Office ultimate 2007
    I do not want to install these retail products on my laptop, yet.

Instead I want to put Office XP on my laptop.
    I also have a desktop with a retail version (not OEM) of Office XP Professional installed on it and validated.

Both the desktop and the laptop are for my own personal use and I only use one at a time.

The license for my Office XP states the following.

"General License Grant to Install and Use Software Product. You may install and use one copy of the Software Product on a single computer, device, workstation, terminal, or other digital electronic or analog device ("Device"). You may make a second copy of the Software Product and install it on a portable Device for the exclusive use of the person who is the primary user of the first copy of the Software Product. A license for the Software Product may not be shared."

So if I understand things correctly, I can install a copy of my retail Office XP on my laptop for my own use and be legal even though I have it installed on my desktop whick is also for my personal use. 

My questions are:

1) Will it create issues when I go to validate the Office XP install on the laptop as it has already been installed and validated on my desktop? 

2) Is there a special process for validating the second potable device install?

Thanks,

Ben

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 8:14 PM

Answers

• 1) Will it create issues when I go to validate the Office XP install on the laptop as it has already been installed and validated on my desktop?  No, you are permitted two activations.

2) Is there a special process for validating the second potable device install? No, you'll activate via the internet.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 8:26 PM