Connecter Issue and Question about Intial Data Protection RRS feed

• Question

• After a fresh install I am unable to install the Connector Software on my PCs.  The installer trys looking up the server but then fails.  I am then prompted to either enter my server name or IP.  Entering the correct information and I receive an error stating that "Cannot connect to the specified server name or IP address. Make sure it is correctly entered and try again."  My IP is static and the server is unqiue.

My next question is about Data Protection after a fresh install.  I have no data on the drives and the Summary page is reporting that 654 GB is being used for Data Protection!!  If there is no data to protect how can it be using 654 GB?

Thanks

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 5:02 AM

Answers

• Probably the data protection is entirely composed of the ECC (as I said, it's taken off the top) plus duplication of required NTFS metadata (MFT, bitmap, etc are all really required; I would hope Microsoft has a copy on every disk for each share), etc. So I don't think I'd worry too much.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by calidan Wednesday, August 25, 2010 7:34 PM
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 5:09 PM

All replies

• How many drives, and how large are they? I'm pretty sure "Data Protection" includes the ECC Microsoft has mentioned elsewhere as taking approximately 12% off the top of every drive.
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 12:58 PM
  • Five 1 TB and a 300 GB drive that is the system drive but is also part of the storage pool.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 2:37 PM
  • Probably the data protection is entirely composed of the ECC (as I said, it's taken off the top) plus duplication of required NTFS metadata (MFT, bitmap, etc are all really required; I would hope Microsoft has a copy on every disk for each share), etc. So I don't think I'd worry too much.
    • Marked as answer by calidan Wednesday, August 25, 2010 7:34 PM
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 5:09 PM