Visual Studio 2010 crashing on 'Updating JScript intellisense' RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there. 

I have been trying to upgrade a Visual Studio 2008 ASP.NET Web Site project to use Visual Studio 2010 and .NET 4.0

The project is contained under source control (Sourcegear Vault 5.0).

The project upgrade wizard runs and reports no errors (just the normal warnings about a project targeting an earlier version of the framework). 

When I click Close on the wizard, the project starts to load and in the status bar at the bottom of the screen, there is a message 'Updating JScript Intellisence'. 

After about 5 - 10 seconds, the Visual Studio process crashes and Visual Studio is closed. 

I inspected the event viewer after several unsuccessful attempts and I found the following entries under the 'Application' section (not entirely sure if this is related).

Log Name: Application

Source: ASP.NET 4.0.30319.0

Event ID: 1325

An unhandled exception occurred and the process was terminated.

Application ID: DefaultDomain

Process ID: 1224

Exception: System.ArgumentException

StackTrace:    at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)

at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHR(Int32 errorCode)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.Rdt.GetDocumentInfo(UInt32 cookie)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.Rdt.GetHierarchyItem(UInt32 cookie)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.UnadviseHierarchyEvents()

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.DocumentReleased(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.DocumentObjectSite.FireDocumentReleased()

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.DocumentObjectSite.DocumentUnlocked(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.RdtLock.FireDocumentUnlocked()

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.RdtLock.UnlockDocument(RdtFlags flags)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.RdtLock.DisposeNativeResources()

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.PlatformUI.DisposableObject.Finalize()

2nd Error:

Log Name: Application

Source: .NET Runtime

Event ID: 1026

Application: devenv.exe

Framework Version: v4.0.30319

Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.

Exception Info: System.ArgumentException

Stack:

at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32, IntPtr)

at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHR(Int32)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.Rdt.GetDocumentInfo(UInt32)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.Rdt.GetHierarchyItem(UInt32)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.UnadviseHierarchyEvents()

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.WindowFrame.DocumentReleased(System.Object, System.EventArgs)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.DocumentObjectSite.FireDocumentReleased()

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.DocumentObjectSite.DocumentUnlocked(System.Object, System.EventArgs)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.RdtLock.FireDocumentUnlocked()

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.RdtLock.UnlockDocument(Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.RdtFlags)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.WindowManagement.RdtLock.DisposeNativeResources()

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.PlatformUI.DisposableObject.Finalize()

I have tried disabling JScript intellisense by going to Tools -> Options -> Text Editor -> JScript and unchecking Auto list members and Parameter information but this did not work. 

I have also modified the JsFailsafeTimeout key in the registry (under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\HTML Editor) and increased the timeout value to 60000 (60 seconds) but this also did not work. 

• Moved by Larcolais Gong Thursday, November 25, 2010 5:50 AM (From:Visual Studio Setup and Installation)
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 1:42 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

I would recommend that you can consult your concern into ASP.NET forum. You will get helpful suggestions.

http://forums.asp.net

Regards,

Larcolais

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by kevinjp Friday, November 26, 2010 9:48 AM
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 5:50 AM