CRM Data Archive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

In Dynamics CRM, we need to archive data of past 3-4 years but at the same time we also need access to that data whenever required.We have thought of creating a new organization and moving the data there.But there are 2 questions regarding which i need help.

Firstly,

Creating a new organization and accessing it will require those many licences. So do we have any other approach of data archival or any solution to this?

Secondly,

We know that we can move the data using SSIS package.But is there any better approach of moving the data or any third party tool through which data can be moved?

What is the best practice of data archival.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks In Advance.
    Thursday, August 4, 2016 12:39 PM

All replies

• Creatin a new organization in the same deployment of CRM does not require any additional licenses (assuming that you do not have the Workgroup edition).

I'm not sure that there is answer to best practice. The length of time that you need to keep data and the method is something for your organization to decide and might be influenced by legal or regulatory issues.

You need to consider how your users will access the data, do they need immediate access and using what tools?  You could extract the data using SSIS or any number of data integration tools but where will you put the data is probably the more relevant question.  And also do you need to keep everything or are some record types of no use after a period of time and can be just deleted.

Do you need to archive at all?  If your database is not very big and not growing that fast, perhaps you can just keep the data and put off decisions on archiving for a while.

I know I haven't given you direct answers but I think it is very much down to what does your organization need.

Friday, August 5, 2016 12:24 PM