Core Count RRS feed

• Question

• I have found websites stating that Windows SBS supports a two to four processor system.  Is that functionality removed in the core SBS of HomeServer?
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 8:26 PM

Answers

• The web sites you have found are incorrect. Windows Small Business Server 2003, the version that Windows Home Server is based on, supports one or two physical processors (and as many logical processors/cores as that represents).

However, it's unlikely that you'll see any significant performance improvement between a single physical processor with multiple cores, and a dual processor system. And you will definitely experience significantly higher power usage, more noise, etc.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Jerguyntx Wednesday, September 2, 2009 9:28 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Jerguyntx Wednesday, September 2, 2009 9:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jerguyntx Wednesday, September 2, 2009 9:29 PM
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 9:24 PM

All replies

• The web sites you have found are incorrect. Windows Small Business Server 2003, the version that Windows Home Server is based on, supports one or two physical processors (and as many logical processors/cores as that represents).

However, it's unlikely that you'll see any significant performance improvement between a single physical processor with multiple cores, and a dual processor system. And you will definitely experience significantly higher power usage, more noise, etc.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Jerguyntx Wednesday, September 2, 2009 9:28 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Jerguyntx Wednesday, September 2, 2009 9:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jerguyntx Wednesday, September 2, 2009 9:29 PM
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 9:24 PM
  • Thanks Ken

I've taken HomeServer way beyond "Not Supported" and need the extra processing power.

Wednesday, September 2, 2009 9:29 PM