Converting to Money Sunset from Money 2006 (Canada) RRS feed

• Question

• Have been using Microsoft Money 2006 Standard Edition Canada Version 15.0.80.513 for years and do not want to lose years of important data.

My computer is Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, updates current.  I have not upgraded to Windows 10 yet as afraid my Money program would not run.  After reading the Money forum I was thinking of installing Money Sunset on my computer and see if my file would convert without problems.  However, I read that upon installing Money Sunset that it automatically uninstalls your old version of Money.  I do not want that to happen until I am sure Sunset works properly.  Can you override the uninstall of old version when installing new version?

I have numerous accounts set up including loans and there have been transfers between accounts.  I read that Sunset will not import QIF loan details.  However, if I convert will Sunset set up the loan transactions from my old version?  

Will Sunset keep categories and subcategories as in old Version?

If I use symbols  (/) or (-) or (#) in my account names should I remove those first?

Is there a certain number of characters in an account name that Sunset will only allow?

Not sure if I am interpreting everything correctly that I am reading.  It is my understanding I can:

(a) install Sunset and then open my current Money data file and it will or should convert everything automatically. OR

(b) Install Sunset and export individually all my 2006 accounts in QIF and then import all accounts into Sunset all at the same time in order that transfers are recorded properly.  I would lose my loan transactions this way. 

Are the two options (a) and (b) above correct or am I confused?

I do have my 2006 installation disk but I have a vague recollection that there may have been an "update" that I would not have a copy of.  

Monday, October 26, 2015 5:21 PM

All replies

• Here is what I would do, which is about like your (a):

Install Money Deluxe Sunset on the new computer. Do the patching described in what is currently the first post in this forum.

Copy your latest *.mny file from the old computer to your Documents folder on the new computer.

Launch Money for the first time on the new computer by right-clicking the *.mny file in Windows explorer on the new computer, and selecting Open. Once inside Money, go to Tools->Settings->BackupOptions, and set the location for your "backup my Money file every time I close Money" to a place in your Documents folder. (The old place does not exist on the new computer)The best way to do this is to use the Browse button. Also set the location for your scheduled backup. A USB drive is usually a good place to put your scheduled backup. Money Plus will convert your Money file. That converted file will not be readable by Money 2006. If you are happy with Money Plus, you could later install Plus on the old computer.

I am thinking that your 2006 version may be the one that was called "Essentials" in the US. I am not sure. If so, there would be a difference in how things work, but for the better in my opinion. Make sure things work well on the new computer before changing the old computer.

Monday, October 26, 2015 8:11 PM
  • Thanks for replying. However I only have one computer with Windows 7.  The patching referred to I note refers to Windows 8 and 10.  Still necessary to do patch in Windows 7? 

My Money 2006 runs smoothly now.  Maybe I should just leave well enough alone.

Without a definitive answer as to whether I can install Money Deluxe Sunset without the program uninstalling Money 2006, I am not prepared to take the risk and lose my data. 

Monday, October 26, 2015 9:42 PM
  • Thanks for replying. However I only have one computer with Windows 7.  The patching referred to I note refers to Windows 8 and 10.  Still necessary to do patch in Windows 7? 

My Money 2006 runs smoothly now.  Maybe I should just leave well enough alone.

Without a definitive answer as to whether I can install Money Deluxe Sunset without the program uninstalling Money 2006, I am not prepared to take the risk and lose my data. 

The patch is for Microsoft Money Plus. It is not for Money 2006. The flaw may or may not cause an observable misbehavior in a version of Windows, and it might cause a significant problem after an update.

It is possible to have both 2006 and Plus installed at the same time if you are careful. By default the newer one can remove the old, and you have to change a default during install to have both. Also, the newer install would be associated with the various file types. I would keep the old computer as it is; I would not potentially confuse things by having both installed at the same time. I would keep both up to date for a while.

I run Money Plus on my desktop and laptop and I maintain separate files in parallel.

Monday, October 26, 2015 11:33 PM